PDA

View Full Version : ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao

gallardo
16-02-2006, 02:57 PM
I am planning to make a trip to the Spanish Vasque Country (beautiful, I highly recomend it) This time with the Monster. Anyone has heard of any promotions or offers on the ferry? First weekend of May and only one way, as I am planning to leave the bike there over summer..

Thank you!

Fosse Foxfight
16-02-2006, 05:08 PM
I am planning to make a trip to the Spanish Vasque Country (beautiful, I highly recomend it) This time with the Monster. Anyone has heard of any promotions or offers on the ferry? First weekend of May and only one way, as I am planning to leave the bike there over summer..

Thank you!
2 Things:

1. I'm not sure about a ferry to Bilbao, I believe there is one to Santander...small point but worth mentioning.
2..........have a look at Brittany Ferries, thats where you wanna ask about offers.
3. nah forget 2 and have a look at:

http://www.eurodrive.co.uk/

hope this helps

ta ra

blueguzzi
16-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Im sure you meant the BASQUE country? yes very nice place to visit, great roads and friendly peoples.

You can probably get a discount by quoting the 'motorcycle news offer' normally works for 30% discount.

P&O Portsmouth to Bilbao
I have used this a couple of times, 1st its expensive, 2nd it takes 35 HOURS to cross from Portsmouth to Spain!!!!! as it leaves on Tuesday night and arrives on Thursday Morning( or did when I used it) 3rd the food and beer is very pricey on board as well, and as your captive for 35 HOURS theres not much else to do. Yes and I know it only takes 26 hours on the return journey?
I'm not certain but I think they won't let you have a MCN discount for one way only only return trips?
There is an option to take the Plymouth- Santander route as thats a 26 hour crossing, but Plymouth is a pain to get to if you live in the south east.

I have driven(car) to Bilbao a few times from Calais and it takes 10 to 12 hours depending on traffic/weather etc ( all motorway)

A nice unhurried ride through the French countryside with an overnight stop would have you in the Basque Country in the same time as a ferry and would cost less, use somebody like speedferries.com to get you a quick crossing Dover/ Bologne.

Go in August/September as thats when a lot of the towns/villages along the coast have their week long fiestas and they are much fun.
Enjoy.:) :) :) :)

Fosse Foxfight
16-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Im sure you meant the BASQUE country? yes very nice place to visit, great roads and friendly peoples.

Aaaah you caught your foot in that trap as well eh?...tut tut tut.

Vasque and Basque......same ting init

ta ra

gallardo
17-02-2006, 09:32 AM
That's how we call it in Spanish (Pais Vasco, with a V) Que? :D

I am going from London and visiting friends in San Sebastian, so Portsmouth to Bilbao sounds like a better option. I will love to ride through the french coast, but not sure about the missus. 35h a hell of a lot, but over two nights we'll find something to do.. sleep that is. :look:

I will check the MCN offer and let you know how it goes. Thanks a lot for the info!

Cheers

Jorge

steviej
17-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Jorge,

Take a look at this linky (http://www.directferries.co.uk/).
Lots of options................:pedro:

bigredduke
17-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Why not take the bike down on a trailer? That way you can take the bike off when you fancy a spin and your wife can drive the car and stay comfortable?

You can use the trailer to bring back loadsa booze! Or leave it there for summer.

bonnet de douche as Delboy would say!

blueguzzi
17-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Aaaah you caught your foot in that trap as well eh?...tut tut tut.

Vasque and Basque......same ting init

ta ra

A well see being from Essex see, I get confused like, with them pesky V's an B's being the same in spanolish.:dunce:

gallardo
35h a hell of a lot, but over two nights we'll find something to do.. sleep that is. ha ha ha. :dizzy:

Ok Ok, If you cant sleep try the Cinema on this ship, as its near the sharp end the your whole world tends to go in an up and down stylie when the seas are a bit lively, most entertaining, :dizzy: or the swimming pool (about as big as a large bath)which is situated far far down in the ship but is sometimes closed as when its rough sea the water doesnt stay in the pool long ha ha

enjoy

rxtim
20-02-2006, 08:22 AM
The Pride Of Bilbao is a good trip for spotting whales and dolphins if you like that kind of diversion and costs nothing - unlike everything else on the ship! We did it to evaluate the boat for training purposes so we had the round trip without getting off properly. That is a bit much, but would be fine with the promise of warm weather and nice roads the other end.

A lot of stag/hen groups use it, but there were a lot of bikers on there too. Keep an eye on the P&O website for offers.

SazzaG
20-02-2006, 08:32 AM
A lot of stag/hen groups use it, but there were a lot of bikers on there too. Keep an eye on the P&O website for offers.

Funny you should say that - Rogerg is using it for his stag do at the end of March.

3 days drinking - I wonder if he will be able to walk at the end of it?... I think I might have to just test his S4 outside the bedroom window when he gets back.

Saz