PDA

View Full Version : s2r 1000 advice please

COR
11-02-2006, 07:43 PM
my bloke is thinking of selling his 900 hornet (anyone interested?) for a new s2r 1000. does anyone in the club have one yet? if so, i'd be very grateful for any comments/advice you may have. in particular bloke wants to know tank range and whether anything can be done about the ugly cat. also, recommendation for tank bag for the plastic tank.

Gilps
11-02-2006, 08:28 PM
I've only got the 800, but if the 1000 had been out when I bought mine I would have bought one. My only critiscm of the 800 is weak front brake and none adjustable front forks. The 1000 fixes that problem and only 800 quid more, bargain. Not sure about the tank bag though. He'll be hiding that stripe.
Spareshack should know about the cat. I used their cat eliminator, looks much better. Give them a shout.

Fosse Foxfight
11-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Take a look at:

www.windingroads.co.uk

they do a few bags that would suit depending on the capacity required.

I have a FAMSA and its so well made.

If hes got stacks of cash then Bagster/Baglux is the answer.

ta ra

rich
11-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Try here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-S2R-S4R-HEADER-PIPES-GET-RID-OF-THE-CAT_W0QQitemZ8037286266QQcategoryZ10448QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-Performance-DE-CAT-pipe-S2-4R-MTS1000-multi_W0QQitemZ8037936535QQcategoryZ10448QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Hope this helps
rich

Shauns4
11-02-2006, 09:25 PM
my bloke is thinking of selling his 900 hornet (anyone interested?) for a new s2r 1000. does anyone in the club have one yet? if so, i'd be very grateful for any comments/advice you may have. in particular bloke wants to know tank range and whether anything can be done about the ugly cat. also, recommendation for tank bag for the plastic tank.

You could always buy a M1000 Sie which is basically the same bike except for the single sided swing arm / no cat and upswept exhausts / steel tank, range about 130 miles until reserve. It is a very different bike to a 900 hornet and i would suggest a test ride on the Ducati. I've ridden a 900 hornet and the fireblade engine was (far better ) and suited to a Fireblade whereas the Ducati motor is far more suited to the hornet type of bike but then again it depends what you like.

CK & AK
11-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Tank range for my M1000 is 125 - 130ish before fuel light comes on when on an occasional 'bimble' rideout.
If not 'bimbleing' then usually about 87 tops:devil: which is usually the norm - hey-ho!:dunce:
However, there is quite a disparity amongst owners on fuel consumption, even between same year identical models:dizzy:

As the engine is the same as mine, I expect you'd probably find it similar.
I did think about trading up, but I would also have to remove the Cat, ensure there were no white wheels - and I regret that the swinging arm isnt to my taste - so decided to keep her majesty.
As Gilps says, the brakes on the earlier S2R 800's (not to be confused with the 2003 M800 tho) are not anywhere as good as previous or indeed later models.
The S2R1000 does have the 4pots like the other 1000ds engined bikes have.

Stops & goes great - happy shopping COR's bloke!:)

C

JR
11-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Last time I spoke to your bloke Cor he was more than happy on his rice rocket. Has he seen the light? If he wants a quick trial flirt on a Monster1000i.e let me know, I am happy to encourage any a potential convert! Dont want a ride of his rice rocket though!

sadbiker
12-02-2006, 01:04 PM
JR,

Na,, the hornet is still a grand bike. It was a good move from the plastic brigade, and at the time much cheaper than the S4 i test rode way back in 2002.

But times have moved on and if I manage to sell the hornet then I am looking at either a S21000r, Triumph triple (maybe 2 tall for me having little legs) or have a passing interest in the new FS1 Naked.

But I will be honest, the Ducatis still give me a buzz, the sound, the way it handles etc. But I have only ever rode CORs bike for any real distance.

Whatever I replace the hornet with has to be a naked, comfortable enougth to go touring on it Europe, as already have 2 trips planed for May. At least enought fuel range to not have to be stopping every 10 minutes. But best of all its got to give me the grin factor, something I missed a lot last year due to personal reasons. After nearly 4 years of the Hornet, I would like to change it for something that hopefully will give me the enjoyment of biking. Nothing wrong with the hornet maybe if I actually ride it i might get that back anyway. After all it was CORs 620 which made me sell my zx6r and go beack to naked bikes. I can still remember the grin I had when she finally let me take it for a ride.

I have spoken with riders and suspect I will get a test ride in march when they get their demo on the road.

But before then I need to know the essentials as my feelings would be junk the Cat, keeping the exh that is fitted, add a carbon belly pan and that is about it. It is shame they have gone over to plastic tanks, I still undecided if it is a good thing or bad thing except I can't use me bloody tank bag..

But to all who have added comments, much apprecaited and if anyone else has more advice please add it.

As JR says, he loves to convert people over from rice rockets so tempt me.

Gilps
12-02-2006, 02:07 PM
If you want fun and touring but still fancy something Italian, take a look at Aprilias. The Falco is supposed to be a real hoot, and theres always the Tuono.

sadbiker
18-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Well took the S2R1000 out today from Riders of Bridgwater, only 5 miles on the clock, Was a very nice ride, love the sound of the engine, even through I couldn't really open it up I did do some low speed aceleration and it seems quick enought, it was very smooth, had to watch the gearing as it doesn't seem to need to use 5th or 6th at legal limits,

Well have a few options now open, but I do suspect that I will be having a S2R1000 very shortly, just need to get the best deal, not to keen on part Xm and have been given a cash price option, anyone out there been given a good quote for a S2R1000 straight.

Regards

Wanna be ducati owner

P.S.

The falco is a nice bike, had a friend who owned one, it broke down on the way to Italy when we went in 2004. At least Cors Monster can make it to Italy and back. the Tuono is a bit to drastic for me, I prefer the feel of the ducati. I did have the notion of trying out the Truimph triple or the new FSZ1, but no the S2R1000 seems spot on. If only the S4 had been a grand cheaper in 2002 I would have had one.

Duncan
18-02-2006, 09:30 PM
A while back Ducati were doing an accessory promotion on the M1000 for members of this club. Not sure whether it finished but if you PM Fatbloke he will tell you more.

JR
18-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Sadbiker - what a name to call yourself!!!! You will soon change that to "Happybiker" if you go for the S2R1000. The engine pulls like a train, or as Duncan would say, it flows like Guiness, cool, smooth and creamy. As for the gearing, even on the motorway I used to forget I had another gear left in the box. A change of front sprocket sorted that very nicely. Get yer cheque book out - suits you sir!

Duncan
18-02-2006, 10:14 PM
And as JR, Henry Ford and Guinness say
'You can have any colour so long as its black!'

sadbiker
19-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Chose sadbiker years ago as a forum name and have always tried to keep it were ever I go, was originally trying for madbiker as at the time I had been sideswiped by a holiday maker with a caravan and missed the whole of the summer waiting for the bike to be sorted.

The cheque book is there ready, it just going through the options and what riders comeback with,

1- keep the hornet and have the s2 (its taking some real groveling to cor)
2- part x the hornet
3- sell the hornet - but need someone to buy it.

sadbiker
22-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Well have managed to pin Riders down on a deal that seems to suit us both. Going in on Saturday to put down the deposit.

S2R1000, Belly pan, Rear shock cover and a set of pipework to eliminate the cat. I may yet have a list to add for Cor to buy for me some presents for my birthday.

Dunc, its going to be red, at least it has a white stripe so Cor will know it is mine.

Going to keep hold of hornet for now, but keep it up for sale and see if the right offer turns up. Luckily I like both the Twin and the Four and can ride both with out thinking but then that seems to be something I do often.

JR ta for the offer of taking yours out, But to be honest it only needed a short ride on the S2R1000 demo to shorten the odds.

Hopefully all going well I might make it for your next meeting at Bristol.

Gilps
22-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Nice one. I'm sure you'll both be very happy together. I'm just a little bit jealous right now.

sadbiker
22-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Know the feeling, have been jealous of Cors for the last 3 years.

JR
22-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Well done - you made a good choice - no ugly rad, no ugly cat, just a real nice bike. See you soon.