PDA

View Full Version : Advice? S4 - Flat Battery

madhatter
10-02-2006, 06:53 AM
Typical! :Furious: After checking on both the 750 and the S4 all over the winter period and both of them starting perfectly each time, at 7:00am this morning I take the cover off the S4, remove disc lock, remove chain and padlock, unbolt gate, wheel bike out onto road so as not to wake the locals with my lovely Sils.......and the b**tard wouldn't start as there was about 1v in the battery :hissy: !!!!

So...it's a 2002 S4 with the "sealed type Ducati lead battery", my question is....do I just remove the battery and put it on a nice long slow charge (I know I can't boost charge it, 'cos it says so) and then once I put it back on the bike all will be fine? Or is this going to affect the imobiliser or anything other wildly Ducati electrical?

If you have removed and charged up your S4 battery, I'd appreciate your comments please :( .

I'll log back on around lunch-time to see what's been said. Laterz!!

Gilps
10-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Are you sure its a lead battery. Gel type have been in use by most manufatuers for quite a while now. The reason I ask is that is it is a lead type then any battery charger should be able to recover it. You really should remove the bikes leads from the battery before charging it though if using a cheap and cheerful charger. If it is a gel type then you will need something like an Optimate to recover it. A regular car type charger cannot recover a totally dead gel battery.
M&P are selling the latest Optimate for £39 online.
I use one and alternate it between both our bikes every couple of weeks or so.

Rockhopper
10-02-2006, 07:50 AM
I normally expect a battery of whatever type to last about three years at the most. If you've got more than this then you living on borrowed time! An optimate charge up might recover it but i'd start looking for a new one.

Bodybag
10-02-2006, 09:26 AM
I had exactly the same problem this morning with my S4 too!! Ended up chasing it down the street bumping it to get to work, with the usual shouts of "Aren't you supposed to ride them mate!?" Looks like a new battery for me too and hardwire an optimate into the bike too possibly. Is it easy to do?

dean
10-02-2006, 09:54 AM
re the optimate question, it comes with the terminals to plug in to your battery and a plug for the charger.In short, i did it so technically that means anyone can.

i had the same problem with my S4 last week (didnt have the optimate on!), i just assumed the battery had become a little disinterested as i hadnt started the bike in a couple (well, a couple of couple)of months (oops). a quick jump off the car battery and a ten minute spin and all was forgiven.

As an aside, i thought S4's went in to standby mode after three days so therefore battery drain shouldnt be an issue for models without alarms? (maybe somebody else knows about this)

Gilps
10-02-2006, 10:08 AM
I had exactly the same problem this morning with my S4 too!! Ended up chasing it down the street bumping it to get to work, with the usual shouts of "Aren't you supposed to ride them mate!?" Looks like a new battery for me too and hardwire an optimate into the bike too possibly. Is it easy to do?
The optimate comes with two sets of leads. One has terminal connectors on it designed to be fixed to the battery. Just unscrew the two battery terminals and reconnect with the connectors attached, A five minute job. This then leaves you with a plug which you connect the optimate to. When not in use the plug has a rubber plug attached to keep crap out.
The other set of leads has crocodile clips attached for temporary connections or if the battery is off the bike/car. Coz my wifes Hornet battery is fiddly to get at I hard wired the first set into her bike as a permanenct connection, and just use the crocs on the Monster. Every couple of weeks I just switch the Optimate from one bike to the other. takes seconds. There is a new version of the optimate out called the SP. don't know what the difference is. I got the previous one 2 months ago and it works fine.

madhatter
10-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I've taken the battery completely off the bike and got it in the house, in the warm, on low 12v charge from my trusty standard car battery charger (not an optimate). I hope this will charge it back up over time (24hrs). This is why I asked if when I put it back onto the bike, it will affect the imobiliser or anything else????

New battery!!!....hope it charges up ok!!!

Any comments Guys????

stuartg
10-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I've taken the battery completely off the bike and got it in the house, in the warm, on low 12v charge from my trusty standard car battery charger (not an optimate). I hope this will charge it back up over time (24hrs). This is why I asked if when I put it back onto the bike, it will affect the imobiliser or anything else????

Any comments Guys????

Steve
Sorry mate cant answer your imobiliser questions but even on a trickle charge it will be done well within 24 hours from dead flat. I have an optimate and mine is permanently plugged in, would recomend to anyone who hasn't got one.
Dont be tempted to jump start via a car battery. The amp/hour rating is to high for the bikes system and you risk blowing/ burning out elctrical components such as ecu's generator, etc

mitchc
10-02-2006, 12:02 PM

Any comments Guys????

Ducati imobiliser will not be affected by removing the battery. ECU/imobiliser interogates the key every time it is switched on, if it gets the correct signal back it allows the bike to start.

Good luck

Gilps
10-02-2006, 12:55 PM

Any comments Guys????
It wont affect the immobiliser, but if that is a gel type battery and is totally flat, then a standard car type charger will not charge it. you will need an optimate or similar, or take it to a dealer who will do it for you. If lead type battery you should be OK though.

madhatter
13-02-2006, 12:43 PM
It wont affect the immobiliser, but if that is a gel type battery and is totally flat, then a standard car type charger will not charge it. you will need an optimate or similar, or take it to a dealer who will do it for you. If lead type battery you should be OK though.

Yeah no problems, it is one of the lead-types. I slow charged it for 12 hours then gave it a couple of hours Saturday morning before I put it back on the bike. The bike started first time and run fine. I rode to the bike rally site where she sat all night in the pouring rain and still started first time on the Sunday morning, so hopefully it also is retaining its charge. I also used up all the fuel that had been in the tank for the last three months, without any popping or misfiring, so all ok there! However, the S4 is now completely covered in sh!te from the rally site and the tractor mud encrusted roads of Beachampton! Damn good bike rally though!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply :drunk: