PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie - From Scotland

Peter1474
09-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi all,

Not only new to Ducati's but to Biking, passed my test last year bought me a V Strom, lasted a month, went head to head with a Range Rover, bike was wrote off, I faired a bit better, my fault, lost concentration, actually it was an 8hr ride out I got bored, no more long ride outs for me from now on.

Anyroad-

Took my wifes car in for a service the other day and on the service court they have a 2002 Ducati Monster 620ie, not sure why, but I loved the look of the bike, maybe it was the seat height and positioning, looked though it was a bit upright which is what I am looking for.

Heard a few bad things about Ducati in the past but they were from guys who only ride when the sun is at it's greatest (yeh about 3 times a year) and had never owned Ducati's.

Reckon I could get this bike for about £2500-2750 they can't shift it. 2500mls on it. Belonged to a Doctor who's wife wouldn't let him ride it, so he px'd it for a Shogun, one times happy wife.

Cheers for any advice

Peter

steviej
09-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Hey-yup......................

Welcome to the MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD World that is UKMOC.:drunk:

I'm not that clued up on the 620ie but hang around and somebody will come along shortly!! :pedro:

omahead
09-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Been Ducati For Last 25 Years I Have A 999r For Sundays Just Bought 2 Hand 620 S Ie For Winter Hack And Very Surprised
Great Torque Loud Cans And Air Box Mod Great Little Bike Think I Will Keep 999r Off Road A Bit Longer Just Get Bike Serviced And You Will Not Have A Problem

CK & AK
09-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Welcome to the nuthouse!

You also might want to take a look here for rides/meets etc

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/about.php

2002 620ie, tops is £2500, check for FDSH, and if not, then haggle it down to under £2k. HTIOH?

C:)

Julie
09-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Welcome to the UKMOC.

Mand
09-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Hello and welcome! :mand:

stuartg
09-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Welcome to the club.
You know about the initiation ceremony..... dont you?

dlloyduk
09-02-2006, 04:17 PM
:running: Just go and buy it then empty your pockets over the next year on add ons. Wait untill one really crap dull day over the next few then go and offer £2200, tell them your taking a risk at that price because you have been told off all your mates how crap they are.
Then go and enjoy it-Lots.
I bought a slightly tatty 02 Dark last May for £1900 after being told off everyone not to go near them. I have now put about 7k on it with no problems. I now know that most people who knock them have never even tried one let alone owned one...Most magazine reviews are crap dont listen, its B*ll*cks. The last thing I read was"nice to look at but dont buy one"

Oh and welcome, and having said that try not to breakdown!:o

Nim
09-02-2006, 05:04 PM
hello and welcome, i too am a noobie...definitely go for the 620, but i wouldnt pay more than 2K....you'll love it! people always bitch about dukes, however last yr at bulldog bash (pretty my first time riding any bike!) all my mates were takin the chronic **** out of me for havin a duke...but my bike was great! they had to get the tools out and fix broken bits of triumph and honda...my bike faired a weekend of torrential rain, and even got me home in one piece after 3 nights of no sleep and partying. hardcore. couldnt ave done it without my ducati! Anyways, what im trying to say is ...GET IT...YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT!

A Yerbury
09-02-2006, 05:49 PM
two and a half is a fair price for a 620, better clutch, brakes, motor, electrics and shocks than the 600 -easily a grand better in fact (it will also work perfectly well in our weather, on the button every time) I just l"ike todally adore" my little 600 but if I had my time again -and they weren't 3.5k when I got my 600 for 1200, then I would have got one. so yeah, get one, just not a yellow one, it's not about that.

Alex.

Pugi
09-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi and welcome!
I think everone has heard sh!te about dukes here. I certainly have. All who owns one says the opposite though. The negative remarks are always from people who have never had one and they always say it with a fair amount of envy in their voices... :toilet:

Scotty
09-02-2006, 06:20 PM
im sure theres a few common niggels that you might come across but its hardly like the engines blow up all the time

oh and yellow clearly is 'where its at'

in fact a suspect 2 tone yellow is 'where its at'

Mand
09-02-2006, 06:29 PM
oh and yellow clearly is 'where its at'

You know it makes sense

Mand of Legohead fame. :D

manwithredbike
09-02-2006, 06:31 PM
welcome from another relatively newbee! i've only had my ducati less than a year. been on all sorts of bikes since 1980, this one's the most fun ever - by a mile.
bought it near london and rode it home to derry on a damp day/night in one go. it never missed a beat. mines' a 98 carbie.
this lot will help you suss most bike stuff out when in diffs (and also take the p1sh out of you while doing it.)

ps 8 hr ride out!! -jesus, how long would it have gone on for if you hadn't met your range rover friend? were you sleep riding ?

eonan
09-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Hello mate, I'm just up the road from you in Perth. Yeh, listen to what the people say...buy it!

dam
09-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Go for it!:moto: :moto: :moto:

Ratchet
09-02-2006, 09:28 PM
has any one said BUY IT, yet, oh maybe yes.

you must have been on the wrong roads if you lost concentration after 8 hours, have been 10 hours in the saddle on our fab roads and never been near losing concentration.

follow your heart you know you want it, if you don`t you`ll always be kicking yourself, an give us a shout when you have, and well all go and scare some sheep :eyepopping:

Tigerlily
10-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi and welcome to the club!

Like everyone else said go ahead and buy it, deep down you must really want it otherwise you wouldn't have gone to the trouble of finding us and joining up :)

I've never heard a bad word about them from any of the owners on here, and I'd trust what they say rather that listen to the views of people who have never even sat on one let alone had one!

Treat yourself! You won't be disappointed :mand:

Tax82
10-02-2006, 12:37 PM
welcome from another newbie.

I went in Schotland when I was 17 in Saint Adrews.
It was amazing. I left hera a peace of my heart. :heart:
I have to came back soon or later :thumbsup: