PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Carbon Fibre

Mr C
07-02-2006, 02:01 PM
I know there has been threads about this but i cant seem to find them. Im looking to operate on my hugger and need advise on cutting CF
Cheers

A Yerbury
07-02-2006, 02:17 PM
I know there has been threads about this but i cant seem to find them. Im looking to operate on my hugger and need advise on cutting CF
Cheers

I use a grinder then sand paper, or rather wet and dry, you could be a bit surgical and use a dremel. are you cutting it down? I did this to a plastic one, it was tres facile.

grillphil
07-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I would suggest a very fine cutting blade in the hacksaw. Do not force the saw, let the saw to the work. Use wet n dry to finish off as previous post.

JMo
07-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Pesonally I would mark the area in question using masking tape, and draw the line you wish to cut on that - then use a fine cutting wheel on a dremil, as the carbon fibres may still fray and split if you use a saw blade...

Worked on my belly pan anyway...

xxx

ps. Oh yes, and use a face mask - carbon fibre dust is nasty stuff x

Pedro
07-02-2006, 06:25 PM
I used a dremel but also had a vacuum running over the cut as the dust is a bugger. It will short out electrics if you're not careful!!!!!

The dust will also make yer boogers black for a week!!

A Yerbury
07-02-2006, 07:37 PM
I used a dremel but also had a vacuum running over the cut as the dust is a bugger. It will short out electrics if you're not careful!!!!!

The dust will also make yer boogers black for a week!!

interesting maybe thats why my grinder cut out, my pace maker is thankfully still at 1400rpm.

NattyBoy
07-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Tin snips and a bit of poundstretcher sandpaper...??!