PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Gap Size

eonan
06-02-2006, 02:52 PM
The DynaCoils recommend using NGK D8EA plugs, with up to a 0.9mm gap. They came with a gap of 0.6mm.

So, should I widen it? Would it be bad to leave it as it is? Would things run better if the gap was bigger...all those type questions etc etc

I thank you.

lcjohnny
28-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Eonan hi
if it will spark across the wider gap then you have a bigger area to light the fuel. 0.9mm is at the top of a normal range.

If the gap is too big you will notice a misfire at peak torque and open throttle as that is usually when the petrol/air has the highest electrical resistance. If it doesn't misfire then it should run better with the bigger gap.

Of course as the plug wears the gap will widen so it may misfire then. If it starts okay on 0.6mm i would leave it there as it will last longer.

Jon

Zimbo
28-02-2007, 12:01 PM
On the other hand, the improved performance of the Dynacoils over the standard items may allow the spark to drive accross a larger gap, thus producing a bigger spark? I don't know for certain, just speculating!

lcjohnny
28-02-2007, 12:05 PM
I agree Zimbo and as the coil is the only part that running with too big a gap could damage, if Dynacoil recommend it... its risk-free :-)

Jon