PDA

View Full Version : Chain adjustment

dustybin
06-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Apologies if this seems really stupid but I am very much a start and ride person with no knowledge at all as to how anything on a bike works!

A wierd rattling noise on the ride to work this morning led to the discovery that my chain is slacker than something which is extremely slack. Normally at this stage I would ring my friendly garage and book it in but after a quick look on the Ducati Suite website it seems a very simple task to do it myself. Undo axle bolts, tighten adjusters until chain is at required level, tighten axle bolts. My question is is it really that simple or are there hidden problems that I should know about? The thought of riding to work on Wednesday and seeing my back wheel overtake me doesn't really appeal!!

Keith

stef
06-02-2006, 02:06 PM
yes, it is that simple, although you have to be carefull at two points:
1-make sure the wheel is properly aligned (use a straight edge to measure the distance between the wheel axle and the swingarm axle, on both sides?)
2-make sure the axle nuts are tight once you've finished.

dustybin
06-02-2006, 02:16 PM
yes, it is that simple, although you have to be carefull at two points:
1-make sure the wheel is properly aligned (use a straight edge to measure the distance between the wheel axle and the swingarm axle, on both sides?)
2-make sure the axle nuts are tight once you've finished.

Thanks. Is it possible to over tighten the axle nuts?

stef
06-02-2006, 02:42 PM
i doubt it. unless you are built like a silverback.

steve wright
06-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Dusty, a tip,
Once you've adjusted the chain tension to your liking, its not unusual for the chain to tighten further as you tighten the axle nuts up. Watch for this and if it happens just back off the adjusters slightly and re tighten the axle.

dustybin
07-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Dusty, a tip,
Once you've adjusted the chain tension to your liking, its not unusual for the chain to tighten further as you tighten the axle nuts up. Watch for this and if it happens just back off the adjusters slightly and re tighten the axle.
Thank you both for your help. Chain adjusted, bike riden and no adverse reaction. Next week I will move on to something more advanced like putting in my own petrol!

kaysee
07-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Dont forget to tighten BOTH axle nuts even if you only loosen one. and make sure that the adjuster nuts are tightend too.

I cant off hand remember the torque settings but I am sure someonewill be here soon to tell you what they are.

DesmoDog
07-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Now mentioning torque settings will just cause upset. I think it's all on a sticker on the swing arm innit?