PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug size?

Pugi
05-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Tried to get sparkplugs out today to turn the engine with ease. Clever me thought that I'd for once would have use of the cute little bag called "tool kit". I honestly wasn't too surprised to find out that the supplied sparkplug "tool" was too small. :grump:

Could someone please tell me which size I should ask for when purchasing a proper tool? The quasi tool was stamped with 16...I'm guessing 18mm should sort me out?

A Yerbury
05-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Tried to get sparkplugs out today to turn the engine with ease. Clever me thought that I'd for once would have use of the cute little bag called "tool kit". I honestly wasn't too surprised to find out that the supplied sparkplug "tool" was too small. :grump:

Could someone please tell me which size I should ask for when purchasing a proper tool? The quasi tool was stamped with 16...I'm guessing 18mm should sort me out?

Depends as denso / ngk do have different sizes? a cheap flip over dual one should cover most sizes. I normally go to where the spotty fools spend their weekends looking vacant at customers (halfords) and ask if I can "try this out for size? the bike is just outside" they don't seem to mind? although judging by the dead expressions these youngsters wear I suspect that even hammers to the face would have little impression? sorry this probably doesn't help..I just needed to get that of my chest.... And relax.

A.

Pugi
05-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Depends as denso / ngk do have different sizes? a cheap flip over dual one should cover most sizes. I normally go to where the spotty fools spend their weekends looking vacant at customers (halfords) and ask if I can "try this out for size? the bike is just outside" they don't seem to mind? although judging by the dead expressions these youngsters wear I suspect that even hammers to the face would have little impression? sorry this probably doesn't help..I just needed to get that of my chest.... And relax.

A.

Funny you should mention it...guess where I spent the afternoon. FYI their establishment in Guildford looks just as described, but you knew that.
Unfortunatly thia doesn't help since the bike is not running at the moment...but you probably knew this as well.

CK & AK
05-02-2006, 06:04 PM
16mm is for champion plugs :toilet: - and also the new NGK's which have been out for about 6 months or so.

I think you have older NGK's by the sound of it, so 18mm - which is classed as a 12mm plug spanner (that is the thread size they sell them by) should be ok for you.

C:)

Pugi
05-02-2006, 06:11 PM
16mm is for champion plugs :toilet: - and also the new NGK's which have been out for about 6 months or so.

I think you have older NGK's by the sound of it, so 18mm - which is classed as a 12mm plug spanner (that is the thread size they sell them by) should be ok for you.

C:)

Thanks Charlotte!

manwithredbike
05-02-2006, 07:52 PM
i think it's an 18mm or 5/8" deep box spanner you need as ck + ak say. i know because the cute wee tool kit on mine also had a barbie spanner in it !!

CK & AK
05-02-2006, 08:09 PM
i think it's an 18mm or 5/8" deep box spanner you need as ck + ak say. i know because the cute wee tool kit on mine also had a barbie spanner in it !!

err - you better check mate, cos 5/8ths is actually 16mm, not 18mm!:eek:

Pugi 18mm young man:)

manwithredbike
06-02-2006, 07:48 PM
err - you better check mate, cos 5/8ths is actually 16mm, not 18mm!:eek:

Pugi 18mm young man:)

oops - you're right. thanks. i must learn how to think : )