PDA

View Full Version : non starter for 10

A Yerbury
02-02-2006, 09:05 AM
stopped of to buy a bottle of red last night, hopped on the bike after a succesful transaction and nothing, nada, zip bumped it fine then continued home...I weill look at that in the morning.

this morning hit the button fine fiddled about with the choke as it was a bvit nippy last night and now nothing again. Battery fine fuses fine starter button taken ap[art and looks fine, I suspect it is a dodgy connectioin but if anyone has any less fiddly solutions then please be my guest?

thanks.
Alex.

ps.feel free to hijack!

steviej
02-02-2006, 09:08 AM
...............I take it everything is nice and tight??:scratch:

Pugi
02-02-2006, 09:49 AM
If nothing happened it has to be a faulty electrical connection. Did the starter turn at all?

mark cross
02-02-2006, 09:50 AM
...............I take it everything is nice and tight??:scratch:
wot no innuendo, ooh er missus

A Yerbury
02-02-2006, 09:56 AM
If nothing happened it has to be a faulty electrical connection. Did the starter turn at all?

no, I suspect a connection at the ign barrel of the starter button, as I say it did this yesterday evening, then went to start as per normal this morning (and would have done if the engine was warm but it was a cold start) then after a few seconds delay whilst adjusting the keihin idle I hit the button and nothing.

paul620sie
02-02-2006, 10:18 AM
stopped of to buy a bottle of red last night, hopped on the bike after a succesful transaction and nothing, nada, zip bumped it fine then continued home...I weill look at that in the morning.

this morning hit the button fine fiddled about with the choke as it was a bvit nippy last night and now nothing again. Battery fine fuses fine starter button taken ap[art and looks fine, I suspect it is a dodgy connectioin but if anyone has any less fiddly solutions then please be my guest?

thanks.
Alex.

ps.feel free to hijack!

This is obviously stressing you, so many typo's, when you usually have so few.

Sorry, but I can't add to the advice already given.

Scotty
02-02-2006, 10:20 AM
im trying to refrain from saying anything too stupid (difficult for me, dont ya know)

try tracing the fault wit a magnet :rolleyes:

Gilps
02-02-2006, 10:22 AM
My lad just had a similar thing with his Virago 125. The problem was intermittent at the beginning and slowly worsened until he got no starter at all. turned out to be the relay for the starter motor.
Maybe you'll think twice about stopping just for ketchup next time.

A Yerbury
02-02-2006, 10:22 AM
This is obviously stressing you, so many typo's, when you usually have so few.

Sorry, but I can't add to the advice already given.

my sub editor has thrown a sicky... in fact the edit box overwrites previous text? which is a drag and why on occasion one can not be arsewd!

stef
02-02-2006, 10:54 AM
can you short the relay ? that will tell u if your relay has gone.
i wouldnt recommend using a chewing gun wrapper.

stuartg
02-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Alex, I had a similar problem that started as an intermittent fault and deteriorated until finally nothin.....dead as the proverbial dodo.

Turned out to be the voltage regulator/ rectifier thingy. This has been modified now from Ducati and is Japanese, some modification needs to be done to the loom but pretty straight forward really. But expensive of course, alternatively try these people http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/erol.html#1x0&&

Be lucky
S

steviej
02-02-2006, 12:46 PM
wot no innuendo, ooh er missus

Is that a Iberian suppository by any chance.........:eek:

A Yerbury
02-02-2006, 12:57 PM
mecahanic seems to think it's a connection around the solenoid? (he has not seen it, this was using PSI and the telephone) I will have a poke about later -with a haynes manual, as I always forget which bit is the regulator/rectifier/solenoid...not too bad considering that I do know what the battery, coils and alternator look like.

thanks for your thoughts though.
A.

Runningman
02-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Alex
I had a very similar problem recently; hit the starter...diddly squat.
Turned out to be the two pin plug on the starter relay, which is not secured by any retaining clip and is therefore prone to movement. A man af your calibre will have no doubt eliminated this possibility already, but it was a good opportunity to say hello.

Nice to know somebody else is still riding; I thought I was the only one.
r

Ps Does this make me eligible for member of the month?

Banshee
02-02-2006, 01:02 PM
I had the same prob, Elmo fixed it, it was summit to do with turning off the big red button.

A Yerbury
02-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Alex
I had a very similar problem recently; hit the starter...diddly squat.
Turned out to be the two pin plug on the starter relay, which is not secured by any retaining clip and is therefore prone to movement. A man af your calibre will have no doubt eliminated this possibility already, but it was a good opportunity to say hello.

Nice to know somebody else is still riding; I thought I was the only one.
r

Ps Does this make me eligible for member of the month?

now I have to learn about starter relays too? cheers though marty is there anyway of forwarding a "peter and jane" style schematic of this relay and clip. I nominate you as member of the month, lets have a picture of the invisible running man as Mr August. I am riding at the moment but also not.

Always a pleasure.
A.

Runningman
02-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Once again, I am undone by my complete lack of technical knowledge. All I know is that its on the off-side, underneath the petrol tank, and the plug falls off if you look at it long enough.

If you really need a map, give Ray at Rosso Corse a ring on 020 7780 9764. Mention my name, and my starting problem, and he can tell you exactly what he did to mine.

Winter draws on...

A Yerbury
02-02-2006, 01:36 PM
I bought a really cool torch recently -crazy life I know- so I will have a poke around later, even though you have the bike for the bigger boys I think the wires r the same.

ta.

stuartg
02-02-2006, 02:05 PM
I bought a really cool torch recently -crazy life I know- so I will have a poke around later, even though you have the bike for the bigger boys I think the wires r the same.

ta.

Alex the starter solenoid/relay is on the rh of the bike under the battery box. It has one wire going to the battery and the other to the starter motor. On the top is a 2 pin plug. The 2 pin plug can work loose

Hope this helps

spacemonkey
02-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Cool torch indded... what you want is a nice little Petzl Tikka Plus LED head light. They come in great when you need to see and work with both hands. I never leave home without it. Also, you can walk into any pub in South Wales and not get lynched as they will naturally think you are a miner.

I concurr with the starter relay plug. 'Tis a swine to get too and you need fingers like Max Shreck, but it just falls off when it feels like it.

A Yerbury
02-02-2006, 06:41 PM
oh I know the bit, sort of grubby bronzy coloured thing roundish thing, yeah I know where that is..I will go and have a fiddle now. If I end up with nasty burns I will see you al in court (through bandages) Nick this torch is really really cool, led naturally and made of the same spcace age resins that those plastic glocks are made, although the batteries are flat s...oh who gives a f uck?!

anyway thank you boys, I will keep you posted!

A.

Zimbo
02-02-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm also going with that that 2 pin connector on the starter solenoid, had trouble with that on a 600 before. As your airbox is removed (i believe?) access should be easy, it sits directly under where the battery box is / should be.

A Yerbury
02-02-2006, 07:08 PM
guys, I'm on it like right now already!

spacemonkey
02-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Nick this torch is really really cool, led naturally and made of the same spcace age resins that those plastic glocks are made, although the batteries are flat s...oh who gives a f uck?!

anyway thank you boys, I will keep you posted!

A.

Oh, a tactical torch for strapping to the rails on your gun? Good choice, Agent Alex. www.USMCPRO.com do good 'uns. see my fashion thread response. Must go and whittle something with my pukko.

Sie man
02-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi Alex

I had a similar problem(on 02 620sie)which I posted a thread on recently. Most replys suggested relay problems.
Turned out it was a corroded wire and connector terminal(completely rotted away)on the connector from the ignition switch to the main harness. I think this was under the airbox somewhere.

Incidently the bike would occainsionally cut out completely with no warning when transversing the wondrous pit laden SE London roads. Great fun in traffic I think not.

Sorry I can’t be more accurate, Ray at Rosso Corsa sussed and fixed it.

Hope you sort it soon.

Justin

A Yerbury
02-02-2006, 09:48 PM
thanks for all your kind words fellows, it was the solenoid under the seat thing, having girly fingers I managed to poke the rubber caps a bit from the lh side and we now have power to starter!! (the battery is being a bit of a wuss but that is currently being beaten into shape..hey..) so cheers baysickally! A few more lighthearted hijacks next time though eh?

space, these are the boys, very pretty website (spareshack take note!)
http://www.princetontec.com/

Zim sorry I haven't got the 600 dyno yet are you still interested? will you be sticking them on your dd machine?

A.

spacemonkey
04-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Hey, great torches there. Must pass that site on. Very slick site too....

Zimbo
04-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Zim sorry I haven't got the 600 dyno yet are you still interested? will you be sticking them on your dd machine?

A.

I am still interested, but not for the DD machine as the rules don't allow us to! Just a general interest thing really.

A Yerbury
04-02-2006, 05:04 PM
he has it on the system and I meant to go in today to get some new booties (vertigo £135) the starter was turning but nothing and the battery was tip top...hmm plugs? finally got the densos out that lees had put in and they werexu27eprzu? not x24epr-u9 that I had before, so I swapped back to an older pair and no problems now (just lost an afternoons riding..) I'll get it during the week.

A.