PDA

View Full Version : Neutral a cow to select at stand still

grillphil
31-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Hi,

I have found that neutral is a cow to select while the bike is at stand still. On the roll, it's OK.

There is evidence to say it has been droped on the gear change side by a previous owner, where the gear shift was slightly bent.

Any clues to what may be up (selector forks etc) and could it be fixed without splitting the engine?

Cheers, Phil.

Scotty
31-01-2006, 08:36 AM
they all do that sir,

now as habit i always get neutral before i stop

only thing to check is that you dont have any clutch drag to hinder you

grillphil
31-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Clutch drag is non existant.

So, it's part of the character to the Monster?

steviej
31-01-2006, 09:47 AM
.............................So, it's part of the character to the Monster?

Most certainly Sir...........................:p

grillphil
31-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I can live with it. Cheers guys :)

MikeG
31-01-2006, 11:38 AM
I had a similar problem that was rather bizarrely cured by adjusting the chain.
Strange but true...

grillphil
31-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Mmm. I'll have a go at that.

Cheers:cool:

Ratchet
31-01-2006, 09:15 PM
if that dont work just edge forwards slightly with the clutch bitting (under engine power, not with your legs) while applying pressure to the gear lever, and when you pull the cluth back in she`ll go in neutral every time, after practice you hardly move at all.

DesmoDog
01-02-2006, 06:27 AM
I can live with it. Cheers guys :)

And obtain the attentions fo Natty boy, who usually has a gear selector or two in his jacket, along side the watches. Psssssst

bod
01-02-2006, 08:29 PM
if that dont work just edge forwards slightly with the clutch bitting (under engine power, not with your legs) while applying pressure to the gear lever, and when you pull the cluth back in she`ll go in neutral every time, after practice you hardly move at all.

Hmm..nice tip I will try that if it works,traffic lights in Yorkshire take ages to change!

grillphil
02-02-2006, 09:48 AM
I'll give it a try. London is a pain in the wrist too.....

Unit 18
06-02-2006, 02:40 PM
If its been dropped on the left side as you say, the selector mechanism can be knocked out of adjustment and that can lead to poor neutral selection. Its adjusted by loosening the two bolts that hold the selector shaft under the left cover, then re setting it to give an equal throw in both directions.

mitchc
09-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Some times something as simple as a loose gear change lever/linkage can be enough not to move the gear change shaft enough........causing gear change problems. Does the gear lever foul the hanger anywhere stoppng full travel??
Is the gear change rod set at 90degrees to the gear change shaft arm, if not the "mechanics" of the gear lever won't work properly.....
Just a few thoughts.

grillphil
09-02-2006, 08:33 AM
I'll have another look at the setup to make sure all is tight and aligned before whipping off the side cover.

Thanks guys:idea:

Unit 18
10-02-2006, 12:29 PM
If you need any more info on what to do inside the side cover PM me and I'll go through it in more detail,