PDA

View Full Version : power commander

smiffyuk
28-01-2006, 08:09 PM
hi all!
fitted my power commander today - pain in the arse connecting the injector plugs but got there in the end!

anyways, my setup is ducati performance (remus) carbon slip on's with open topped air box.

i ummmd and arrrd for half an hour between the -' Remus slip-ons and stock or aftermarket air filter' or the 'European Model, Wileyco exhaust and Ferracci open air-box kit' and plumped for the second option as i felt it was the nearest to my setup.

what do you folks think?

bike starts and revs up fine but haven't taken it out yet cos of all the crappy salt on the roads !

ricky
28-01-2006, 08:31 PM
i was reading about those, you'll have to let me know what difference it makes, supposed to be good!!

bod
29-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Hmm now what you mean about the injector plugs connections I tried to fit one at somebodys house,no tools ended up using a chopstick!!!

Let me know what you think about it...any noticable difference?

Gilps
29-01-2006, 12:22 PM
I had one fitted to my S2r a coupe of weeks back, along with cat eliminator, termis and high flow filter and it made a big difference. It's like a totally different bike now. I'm lovin it.

gary tompkins
29-01-2006, 03:17 PM
You can fine tune the fuel map on a commander, but you need a laptop plugged in and a rolling road dyno.

smiffyuk
29-01-2006, 07:24 PM
as soon as the roads are salt free i'll be out and i'll let you know !
just wondered what map you lot would have uploaded if you were in my shoes !!

Gilps
30-01-2006, 08:03 AM
I would have thought the first option, as the cans are the same and you have in effect got an aftemarket airbox. The DP air filter that comes with the Termis is totally open at the top. It has just enough of the sides to allow you to fit the clips and that's it. I would stongly suggest taking it to a Dyno centre as every set up is slightly different. If you are going to spend the money fitting a PC you may as well get it set up right. I got mine done at JHS Racing in Bristol. I know it's a long way from you and I'm not suggesting you use them. But to give you an idea of cost, they charge £40 for a dyno run and set up. Money well spent I think.

smiffyuk
30-01-2006, 09:53 AM
thanks for the reply glips!
what i was thinking tho' was that the ' Remus slip-ons and stock or aftermarket air filter' map would still make it run slightly weak as the map is suitable for just remus cans and standard air filter (not open topped box) and i was thinking an open topped airbox would allow loads more air in so went for the latter.

there is a dynojet place not too far from me and i might pop in come spring time and its only a 2 minute job to change maps - thats the beauty of power commanders!

i think i'll keep an eye on the spark plugs as they're a good indication of mixture set-up for free !

jim

smiffyuk
19-02-2006, 09:47 AM
well i took my bike out yesterday seeing as it was a nice day:D
i can say the bike is transformed! loads smoother ,revs beautifully , not as snatchy at low revs.
well chuffed - roll on summer :woot:

gary tompkins
19-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Nice one Smiffy - will you still book some dyno time to get it spot on?

I've just fitted a Ducati Performance ECU + K&N filter to the 900ie, and combined with recently aquired low level Termis it runs really well. Only seat of the pants testing so far, but it feels stronger in the mid range and seems to pick up faster too. I think the low speed CO setting still needs a tweak, as the tickover is stil a bit lumpy.

In fact I'm so impressed I bought the same kit for the trike. I figured with the extra kilos it's dragging some extra oomph wouldn't go amiss ;)

Thanks to Stuart at Spareshack for sorting me out again :thumbsup:

pooh
19-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Nice one Smiffy - will you still book some dyno time to get it spot on?

I've just fitted a Ducati Performance ECU + K&N filter to the 900ie, and combined with recently aquired low level Termis it runs really well. Only seat of the pants testing so far, but it feels stronger in the mid range and seems to pick up faster too. I think the low speed CO setting still needs a tweak, as the tickover is stil a bit lumpy.

In fact I'm so impressed I bought the same kit for the trike. I figured with the extra kilos it's dragging some extra oomph wouldn't go amiss ;)

Thanks to Stuart at Spareshack for sorting me out again :thumbsup:

Gary
which power commander did you get? I tried last year for one for my 900ie but could only get the PS2 version not the USB version I wanted so that I could fit a quick changer at a later date.

madhatter
19-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Has anyone fitted a power commander to an S4, and if so were the results very noticeable?

I'm currently running a 2002 S4 with standard airbox and filter, but a set of hi-level Sils, which certainly have improved the low speed (30mph) snatchiness of the standard Ducati cans. Just wondering if the investment will give a reward?

Rogerg
19-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Has anyone fitted a power commander to an S4, and if so were the results very noticeable?

I'm currently running a 2002 S4 with standard airbox and filter, but a set of hi-level Sils, which certainly have improved the low speed (30mph) snatchiness of the standard Ducati cans. Just wondering if the investment will give a reward?

Yep - got a a PC III on my '02 S4 with hi-level sils and open airbox - I was suffering from low & mid range lumpyness & alot of popping on the over-run. Now its a different bike - bags more power & smoother throughout the range. I've also got a 39 tooth sprocket on the rear which not only makes it a bit wheelie-tastic, makes things alot smoother round town.

smiffyuk
19-02-2006, 03:53 PM
i suppose some could say the improvements are pshycological but it deffo feels smoother and less snatchy and in my opinion worth buying just for the peace of mind that its not running lean and causing engine damage.

i think come summer i'm gonna have a dyno run when the belts have been changed to see if they're has been any bhp increase :running:

smiffyuk
19-02-2006, 03:56 PM
oh, by the way, i got mine from edgeperformance.co.uk for £239 delivered - cheapest i could find:mand:

madhatter
19-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Yep - got a a PC III on my '02 S4 with hi-level sils and open airbox - I was suffering from low & mid range lumpyness & alot of popping on the over-run. Now its a different bike - bags more power & smoother throughout the range. I've also got a 39 tooth sprocket on the rear which not only makes it a bit wheelie-tastic, makes things alot smoother round town.

Ahhh, wheelie-tastic (Homer drool), thanks for the information Roger, 39 tooth sprocket sounds interesting too...food for thought!:fiery:

Once I've fitted all the bits I bought for the open clutch conversion, I might start a new PC III support fund!:mand:

gary tompkins
19-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Gary
which power commander did you get? I tried last year for one for my 900ie but could only get the PS2 version not the USB version I wanted so that I could fit a quick changer at a later date.

Hi Pooh,

I didn't fit a commander - just swapped my standard ECU for the Ducati Performance one. The DP ECU is mapped to suit open air box and race cans, and as I said in my earlier post works ok. You don't have the adjustability on fueling that you get with a commander, but it saved me £££'s so I'm happy.

This is the ECU - although not the actual one I bid on...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8034842616&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

For those trying to go the Power Commander route on a budget. There was a German guy flogging some on ebay, and his price was around 280 euros + shipping. This may save a few quid with a good exchange rate and no additional vat to pay?

I'll see if I can find the details and post them up later

Gilps
19-02-2006, 06:43 PM
I've got an ECU for an S4r going begging. I got it left over when I fitted Termis and open air box from and S4r, on my S2r. The ECU was no use to me so I fitted a Power Commander. If anyones interested just let me know.

Rogerg
19-02-2006, 08:46 PM
PS - I havn't bothered getting my Power Commander setup on a Dyno - theres a user submitted map on the Power commander website which more or less matches my setup - I've not complaints so far. I'm sure with a bit of google searching, you'll probably find a downloadable map which matches your setup.