PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop question

stef
28-01-2006, 08:01 PM
I am trying to draw some possible design on a picture of my tank.
since the illumination on my tank is not uniform, i have dark areas, and lighter area.
how do i manage my layers such that the layer which includes my custom graphics is modulated by the light on my tank ? in other words, i dont want my rendering to be flat, but instead, it should follow the "illumination map" of the tank, as it is on the picture..
Ideas anyone ?
i am sure this is possible, i just dont know how.

A Yerbury
28-01-2006, 11:33 PM
I am trying to draw some possible design on a picture of my tank.
since the illumination on my tank is not uniform, i have dark areas, and lighter area.
how do i manage my layers such that the layer which includes my custom graphics is modulated by the light on my tank ? in other words, i dont want my rendering to be flat, but instead, it should follow the "illumination map" of the tank, as it is on the picture..
Ideas anyone ?
i am sure this is possible, i just dont know how.

it is not easy and there are a few ways to approach this, unlike a 3d software package you cant drop true 3d lightmaps onto surfaces in photoshop...but there arte a few things to try. I will see what works (just got in from the pub so the creative juices may or may not be in full flow)

stef
29-01-2006, 08:22 AM
cheers.
i seem to have got somewhere near anyway, using the "lighten" setting on my layer (after isolating the tank only in that layer)
Hows that ?

A Yerbury
29-01-2006, 11:52 AM
That is one good way, the method I used was to do white artwork on a new layer then drop the opacity of that layer down by 50% you will keep the hi lights and shadows underneath. The flame job is a bit angular as after all these years I am still crap with the pen curve tool and I was not about to spen hours using circle selections!

so.. voila.

ps.or you could use the dodge and burn, or you could put a light effect filter on it or you could use a circle gradient........it just goes on?

stef
29-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Nice idea...where are the skull and dagger ?
I am just back from the shed where i have been experimenting with paint.
I am a little disapointed in the contrast between my black and not so black. plus, the pearl end result is exactely waht i didnt want: a bit of blue, a bit of pink a bit of green etc.. looks kind of multicoloured sparkles..and there is very little difference with my black.
so. that was a little paint wasted, back to the drawing board. I am left with matt and glss to putt some design in.

on a positive note, i have put a second coat of black, and my dust problem is gone. i have also lacquered my test piece successfully.

stef
29-01-2006, 03:50 PM
that's just putting the tank on the bike this morning, to check overall scheme.
(bike needs a good clean !)

You will note the tank filler cap has also been sprayed. while i was at it, i sprayed my tincator (originally siler) to replace the oem flashers.

A Yerbury
29-01-2006, 05:44 PM
spray the footreast hangers! I know the sparkly black you mean and it doesn't quite work on monsters, maybe a chromed up harley chop but a bit too colourful and barbie doll for my tastes.

stef
29-01-2006, 06:19 PM
yep, that muck is not going on my tank.
The hanger are polished, even if they dont look like it, right now.. but i quite like them. it would take a lot for me to spray on them, so to speak.

A Yerbury
29-01-2006, 08:37 PM
I spent the afternoon stubbying some sils (one was a bit dinged after a slide before christmas) and fixing a fender. A few weeks back I bought a 916 fender, it just needs a bracket for the leg and it should fit fine. The only down side is that all these sport fenders have a ridge at the back for brake hoses and the cut the back very square? so I had a bit of a fiddle and now all is well. The only trouble is that untill its painted gold and the rest of the bike tidied up I am not sure that I like the look of it? reminds me of a bandit and it is never about that.

A.

Pugi
29-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Your labrador lets you get away with way to much...

stef
30-01-2006, 07:39 AM
have you tried it on the bike (loosely attached )?
i am sure a little photoshop wizard like yourself will be able to get the overall look of the bike in two clicks !
i dont see anything wrong in using it, personally..
alternatively, why not buy a cheap gold paint can, and spray that on, just to get an idea ?