PDA

View Full Version : gear sticking

gary 1
28-01-2006, 03:37 PM
can any one help me with this problem.m600 20.000 miles oil was a little low.changed gear up to 3 then 4th. but when i changed down it got stuck in 3rd and would not let me get 2nd or 1st. pulled over pulled gears by hand this the was ok for around 20 mile then it has done it again.ive now put more oil in and bike is upright to see if its just low oil.....thanks gary.

Scotty
28-01-2006, 03:46 PM
you may have bust a spring inside the engine case

pedro did this once and concocted a majikal fix useing innertube zipties and exhaust springs ?

i just payed a dealer to fix it cos im lazey

a ha

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=13908

unfortunatly it was posted before the great photo cull of last year so you cant see the quailty of the fix :(

CK & AK
28-01-2006, 05:31 PM
I agree with Scotty, it does sound like the gear shift mechanism spring,we had this problem with 2nd hand engine we brought - and also with daughters old (non monster) bike.
You do need to find the spring if this is what the problem is.... try removing the oil drain plug & see if anything is stuck to the magnet on it.
Otherwise, you would need to strip down & fish it out of the LH engine casing.

Simple job to replace the spring, unless its an internal gear fault which would need a engine strip, as could be a bent selector fork.
Try looking for the spring first Gary

creepy
28-01-2006, 08:15 PM
gear box return spring replacement on a 250 mz meant splitting the crankcases! if thats any help?
creepy

Scotty
28-01-2006, 08:39 PM
gear box return spring replacement on a 250 mz meant splitting the crankcases! if thats any help?
creepy

not so difficult on the monster i believe just the LH side case

gary 1
30-01-2006, 08:15 AM
thanks for the feed back. one thing ,this does not happen all the time.i would say that it happens around 2 or 3 times on a run. then goes back to working ok a gain. this only started after bike was still for mouth or two.would this still bre the spring.......

Scotty
30-01-2006, 08:53 AM
errm yeah might be (disclaimer, im no expert)

when the spring broke on my bike i couldnt get any gears

what else could it be , the clutch isnt draging is it ?

Ratchet
30-01-2006, 09:56 PM
i had the same problem once, found the lever was catching on the stand mounting, if i remember rightly, and causing the lever to not return properly, hence after one down change, could not go down any further as mech was not reseting for next down change. easy fix remove lever lube and adjust so not hitting, hope this helps as sounds like you have the same thing.

Unit 18
10-02-2006, 12:44 PM
There's two springs on the selector mechanism. If the top one which holds the selector arm onto the selector drum breaks it can work ok for most changes but can occasionally not select. If its the main one at the base of the mechanism then you can't select any gears.
Hope this helps, Al.

Scotty
17-02-2006, 06:10 PM
as you may or may not know ive also bust sumit in me gearbox from what i vaugely believe its a spring of which ive bought what i realy want to know is do i have to take the flywheel off to get enough room to replace spring (as in i dont realy want to do that cos i need a deeper socket for it) or can it be done with flywheel in situ i think tis the 'top' spring mr 18units as the top end of the box still worked