PDA

View Full Version : M1000s Speedo Change... Advice reqd

Trent
25-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi All,

I'm in the process of fitting a single sided swingarm to a Monster 1000s ie. It's coming along OK, but I realised the other day that the speedo pickup is located on the rear brake caliper hanger.

I can move it to the brake caliper hanger of the 916 swingarm (After welding on a bracket) but don't know if this will work.
The M1000s has 6 bolts holding the rear disc on that the speedo pickup uses.
The 916 only has 4 bolts...

Will the speedo still read the same even though there are fewer bolts? (and thus fewer triggers)

I notice the S4r, Multistrada etc uses basically the same system as I've described above, but have Ducati modified the sensor / speedo / computer to take into account the fewer disc bolts?

Anyone had any experiance of this?

While we're on the subject of electrics... Does anyone know what the sensor on the front cylinder inlet valve cover is for?
Can it be moved to the rear cyclinder Inlet Valve Cover?

Any help appreciated..

Cheers
Trent

slob
25-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi All,

I'm in the process of fitting a single sided swingarm to a Monster 1000s ie. It's coming along OK, but I realised the other day that the speedo pickup is located on the rear brake caliper hanger.

I can move it to the brake caliper hanger of the 916 swingarm (After welding on a bracket) but don't know if this will work.
The M1000s has 6 bolts holding the rear disc on that the speedo pickup uses.
The 916 only has 4 bolts...

Will the speedo still read the same even though there are fewer bolts? (and thus fewer triggers)

I notice the S4r, Multistrada etc uses basically the same system as I've described above, but have Ducati modified the sensor / speedo / computer to take into account the fewer disc bolts?

Anyone had any experiance of this?

While we're on the subject of electrics... Does anyone know what the sensor on the front cylinder inlet valve cover is for?
Can it be moved to the rear cyclinder Inlet Valve Cover?

Any help appreciated..

Cheers
Trent
The difference in 'counting bolts' is most likely done at the other end of the cable from the sensor(on the circuit board in the clocks I guess).
The sensor on the front cam-cover is oil temperature I believe.

JMo
25-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Trent - I wanted to do much the same thing with my 620 (still do), and yes - you will have a problem as the speed will under-read by approx 33% as the clocks are expecting 6 pulses, and you'll only get four from the bolts for a single sider. Infact, you probably won't get any as the 916-998 used a cable speedo drive from the front wheel... while the Multistrada/S2R/S4R disc actually has 4 little noggin pins on it that the magnetic speedo picks up from, rather than the bolt heads... and yes, the ECU from those bikes is programmed to accept only four clicks...

I spoke to DUK about all this, and while the lower reading won't affect the other functions of the EFi/ECU - your speed will be under-reading, which is probably not acceptable (it'll throw your mileage counter out too of course)

The easiest solution would be to get someone to CNC you up a rear disk (not that expensive as it is solid), with six equally spaced noggins on, and mount the pickup on the rear brake caliper mounting plate as you surmise...

xxx

A Yerbury
25-01-2006, 07:02 PM
could one not simply move the sensor a bit and place six metal triggers there instead? I don't know what the trigger looks like or how it's mounted so please forgive me if this sounds a bit mandarin.

Trent
25-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Of course... Well said JMo and AYerbury (Sorry, don't know your real names!) Why didn't I think of that? :dunce:

The guy who's doing the Aluminium Welding etc (I'm stretching the swingarm) for me could easily knock up a disk (Still can't believe I didn't think of that! :banghead:)

Maybe it's true... 2 heads are better than 1..!!

Cheers
Trent

A Yerbury
25-01-2006, 09:43 PM
One good head can be more than enough, I am still trying to convince the Jmo person of this..... Happy to be of service though, it should hopefully be straightforward.

A lex Yerbury.x

JMo
26-01-2006, 12:06 AM
One good head can be more than enough, I am still trying to convince the Jmo person of this.....

Benedict dear, I had rather hear my dog bark at a crow, than a man swear he loves me...

xxx

A Yerbury
26-01-2006, 07:19 AM
I speak not of love my dear.

A.x!!

JMo
26-01-2006, 11:51 AM
He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man: and he who is more than a youth is not for me, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him...

xxx

A Yerbury
26-01-2006, 12:05 PM
He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man: and he who is more than a youth is not for me, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him...

xxx

err so I'm still in with a chance then? wicked! as the kids say.

JMo
26-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Lord! I could not endure a husband with a beard on his face - I would rather lie in the wollen!

xxx

A Yerbury
26-01-2006, 07:12 PM
it's like..y'know.."hey" I can change yeah?

Aplogies for the hijack people but love matters.

Blackbeard.x