PDA

View Full Version : Insuring My S4R

Gee
24-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Hello to all.
Im after some help. The dreded insurance renewal has come round to me again, i'm sure it has'nt been a year?
However, i'm 34 with no convictions....ish and i have a full no claims discount however far back you want to go.
The bike is an S4R. Problems is my insurance has gone up by over £100 due to there being alot of claims last year, so my insurance company tells me????
I did explain that i had'nt claimed but that did'nt seem to matter. For the insurance companies purposes it seems they class the M1000ie, the S4 and the S4R in the same pot.
Does anybody out there with one of these bikes know of a good, cheap insurance company. Oh, i don't want to pay a huge excess and i'd like cherries with it?
Any knowledge pushed my way would be gratefully accepted, thanks. :banghead:

bigredduke
24-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Ducati insurance came up with the best quote for me!
http://www.ducatiinsurance.co.uk/

Jim66a
24-01-2006, 06:02 PM
E-bike came up tops for me
http://www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk/

Gee
24-01-2006, 06:13 PM
That was easy. Ducati Just quoted me £128 cheaper than anyone else. I'll try any others people might suggest but that look preety damn good.
Thankyou.

Danny
24-01-2006, 06:27 PM
It might also be worth trying www.confused.com

I've got my bike, wifes car and holiday insurance through them.

CK & AK
24-01-2006, 07:02 PM
That was easy. Ducati Just quoted me £128 cheaper than anyone else. I'll try any others people might suggest but that look preety damn good.
Thankyou.

when faced with Ducati Insurance quote, Carole Nash matched it for me last Sept (a reduction from them of just over £120) worth trying...

C:)

Shauns4
24-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Just renewed my insurance:

Motorcycle direct: 3 bikes - MS4, CB500, CB125s ride any bike not belonging to me + protected no claims £208 (tpft)

Ebike - bikes as above, no protected no claims, no riding other bikes £148, could have had fully comp for £208 inc PNCB but you have to pay extra to ride someone else's bike

S4 only, not allowed to ride other bikes, TPFT, no protected no claims £108, can't remember who quoted me!

renewed with MC direct, you have to look at the detail to work out the real cost?

Shaun

Orfink69
24-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your plight. I too had an insurance renewal shock last November, also with an S4R.

Carole Nash :hail: sorted me out with a nice £340 Fully Comp :spin: .

I think it may be worth trying them :thumbsup:

CK & AK
24-01-2006, 08:13 PM
£340!!!! :eek:

I paid £224 - FC for the 2004 M1000 & also the 2005 M620 included.

C, thinking she had a good deal:chuckle:

Scotty
24-01-2006, 08:17 PM
showing off your cheap insurance quotes only hi-lights your age :p

Orfink69
24-01-2006, 08:23 PM
C,

I missed out the bit that I've only been back on bikes for 2 years after a five year break. I thought that wasn't too bad seeing as Bennetts wanted nearly £600 :Furious:

sjr999r
24-01-2006, 09:00 PM
carole and nash for me........top service........and dont BS u around:thumbsup:

Gee
24-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Carol Nash are who i have been with for the past 2 years and its those buggers that have put the premium up by a third. Not only which, previously i had 3 bikes on the same policy, now i only want 1 and its gone through the roof. Surely i should'nt be paying much more than £200.
Ducati have quoted £196 (and i'm not that old!) Fully comp with a £250 excess. Sounds good to me?
I think it seems you need to check them all out every year cos as soon as one firm thinks your staying put they hike up the money. I've had to change every 2 years if not every year.

CK & AK
24-01-2006, 09:14 PM
CN always quote me too high, I just present them with written quotes from other comapnies, and miraculously it comes down again Gee! :)

C

ps: Scotty - bog off!:p

Pugi
24-01-2006, 09:38 PM
showing off your cheap insurance quotes only hi-lights your age :p

I would agree with that...
To all who feel sorry for themselves:
I pay £320 for TPFT on a M750 from '97. :thumbsdown:

CK & AK
25-01-2006, 08:10 AM
stop being a student then!:p

Pugi
25-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Oh yes...good point. If I cease to study I will drive a lot safer. :scratch:
Tell me C...what do I have to get the same quote as a 'little old lady'? :chuckle:

Insurance companies in this country are a sad parody of themselves, I cannot understand why there hasn't been an uprising yet. No other country has as insurance companies and as many ads everywhere for them. The market is clearly over exploited and quotes to high. The idea is to share the risk of the cost of an accident...instead the companies make silly money and people are shy to make claims since it'll bring their quote up to unreasonable levels. :Furious:

Gee
25-01-2006, 10:15 AM
You pay how much, Why?
You either have to be a really bad hooligan that keeps getting caught, or your bikes worth one hell of a lot of kyte?
Who are you Eddie Kid!!?

Gee
25-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Sorry, Pugi Kid.

Pugi
25-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Who are you ?

27 y/o student. No NCB, license held a year.
I still have no convictions or claims/mishaps and a garage in a good area next to my house, also an alarm which gives me the maximum discount.
I'm not sure if they discriminate me for being a foreign male with no income, but they probably do. However plod can't nick me license since it's not british. :yoparty: *"Breaking the law" playing furiously*

And I shopped around a fair bit to get such a good quote. I was getting as bad as £5-600 up to no quote. :grump:

Scotty
25-01-2006, 11:04 AM
well if it makes you feel any better
im paying £468 at 28 years 3 ncb ? for a S4 with one or two black marks agains me though :rolleyes:

and im sure someone pays more than that banshee maybe ? serial offender :eyepopping:

claicerrig
25-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Age 43

01 s4 with £7500 of Extras declared

Bennets £270 fc lasDec
Now with Carol Nash £150 inc breadown and Driver leagal protection with the same company as Bennets:on:

A Yerbury
25-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Oh yes...good point. If I cease to study I will drive a lot safer. :scratch:
Tell me C...what do I have to get the same quote as a 'little old lady'? :chuckle:

Insurance companies in this country are a sad parody of themselves, I cannot understand why there hasn't been an uprising yet. No other country has as insurance companies and as many ads everywhere for them. The market is clearly over exploited and quotes to high. The idea is to share the risk of the cost of an accident...instead the companies make silly money and people are shy to make claims since it'll bring their quote up to unreasonable levels. :Furious:

very true, on the continent there are less companies and lower policies, the industry in France just seems more...hmmm, grown up?! none of this quote me happy bull****.

I am with Axa...who in this country insure pets I believe? woof etc.

Why would Charlotte "k" know about little old lady policies? she is not that old is she? err are you? ck..how old are you?

A.xyz.

CK & AK
25-01-2006, 06:04 PM
older than you AY:p

but you digress from the thread......

Insurance costs: the bane of most law abiding road users:fiery: :banghead:

A Yerbury
25-01-2006, 06:10 PM
older than you AY:p

but you digress from the thread......

Insurance costs: the bane of most law abiding road users:fiery: :banghead:

Possibly the bane of non law abiding road users too? its called big business and capitalism, they throw people over barrels and have a little dance when they find the wallet? then use the old if everyone played fair line.

Yours exploding parliment.
A.x

ps.not that much older surely? :insert dirty smily here etc:

Pugi
25-01-2006, 06:46 PM
very true, on the continent there are less companies and lower policies, the industry in France just seems more...hmmm, grown up?! none of this quote me happy bull****.

I am with Axa...who in this country insure pets I believe? woof etc.
A.xyz.

I believe to have seen your bike with french registration. Am I correct, and do you insure it in France?

A Yerbury
25-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I believe to have seen your bike with french registration. Am I correct, and do you insure it in France?

I tend not to discuss my earnings, family members with serious illness, friends recently departed or other bureaucratic/mr taxman type things on the ukmoc....its technical!....but yes, possibly.

A.x

Darry
25-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Monster 620Sie (first bike) ... Age 33... licence held 2.5 years... Location Putney(London)... 3 claims £1900,£1800 and £4,500 (write off) in first two years... insurance now £1700!!! (fully comp)

Beat That!

Darry.

Pugi
25-01-2006, 11:02 PM
But hey Darren...you live in London and have been looking for refunds a whole 3 times times... :twak:

Darry
25-01-2006, 11:14 PM
But hey Darren...you live in London and have been looking for refunds a whole 3 times times... :twak:

Pugi, I agree with your point but what annoys me is that none of these accident were my fault and I couldn't claim from anyone

Here goes...

Claim 1: Hit Diesel

Claim 2: 2 x 15 yr old girls walked out in front of me on the Mall (where the queen lives) when the light was green in my favour. They were busy talking and didn't look!! It was either them or te bike... I'm too nice.

Claim 3: Bike parked in street, hit and run (no witnesses), hit so hard from right side that the side- stand pulled away from the engine casing with part of engine casing still attached!!

On the bright side it only takes 25 minutes to get from Putney (Home) to near Tower Bridge (Work), underground takes over 1 hour!

... and fingers crossed, if I get to March accident free, I'll be getting my first ever years no claims!

A Yerbury
25-01-2006, 11:21 PM
are these claims on your records somewhere? if not I would just go somewhere else fresh, although I suspect fully comp in london on brand new 620 no claims would be about 5-600?

Shauns4
27-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Ducati have quoted £196 (and i'm not that old!) Fully comp with a £250 excess. Sounds good to me?
I

sounds good to me also, I knocked 10 yrs off my elderly status (42-32) on one of the on-line companies and basically the premium went up £10/yr, so not a huge difference due to age! Then again someone is bound to say 32 is old! :dunce:

Darry
02-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Just got a quote from ebike insurance, fully comp european cover (also fully comp) and recovery £649 :mand: Happy Happy Happy!!

Bodybag
02-03-2006, 12:13 PM
You managed to make it to March without any claims then?

sadbiker
02-03-2006, 04:40 PM
£220 for new S2R1000 (same group as S4R), and a CB900 Hornet on the same policy, Fully comp.

Ducati Insurance.

I aint complaining, this is cheaper than I can get quoted for just the hornet on its own.

Monkey Boy
02-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Bennetts gave me the best quote - I used to have three years NCB but lost it as haven't been riding for two years (and car NCB not transferable :thumbsdown: )

Norwich Union and Eagle Star can be good - but it depends on what bike you are insuring and whether you have good security.

Mine is £72 TPFT for a 97 M600 with aftermarket cans. £200 excess. Parked on driveway. Datatagged.

Cheers

Gilps
02-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Mine is with ebikeinsurance, paid £238 fully comp on the S2r, 2 years ncb. Went online today to add my latest toy, GS650, only another £38 for the remaining 7 months. You can have up to 4 bikes on the 1 policy, so I've got 2 spare slots.:idea: Any suggestions?

ricky
02-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Ive quote for my insurance that'll make your hair stand on end!!:eek:
Hows £1100 for a m620!!! :shocked: Mind you ive just passed my test, have an old previous conviction in car and am 25 but its still steep!!:devil:

Lost Again
03-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Hmm, all this isn't making me feel too bad really.

21 year old student on a 94 M600, 4 years NCB. Was only 20 when I took out the policy thouh.

Comes out at £240 TPFT with Carole Nash, could be worse....

Gilps
03-03-2006, 12:16 PM
It seems that there are 4 main players here - Ducati insurance, Bennets, Carole Nash, and Ebikeinsurance. With there being so many monster owners on here, how about we do a straw poll of which is the most used/best price/best service etc. and someone from the club approach that company with a view to recommending them, and members getting a discount.
I guess this is something for Terry.

Darry
03-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Ive quote for my insurance that'll make your hair stand on end!!:eek:
Hows £1100 for a m620!!! :shocked: Mind you ive just passed my test, have an old previous conviction in car and am 25 but its still steep!!:devil:

Ricky, see my previous post, I paid £1700 last year.

Darry
03-03-2006, 12:25 PM
You managed to make it to March without any claims then?

Yes, my first NCB after 3 yrs of riding! :mand:

Bodybag
03-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Yes, my first NCB after 3 yrs of riding! :mand:

Gonna try for two?

bigredduke
03-03-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm currently with Ducati insurance, but I have modified the bike since I took out the policy and will have to declare them at renewal. Will ducati still insure it or do they only insure standard bikes?

singletrack
03-03-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm currently with Ducati insurance, but I have modified the bike since I took out the policy and will have to declare them at renewal. Will ducati still insure it or do they only insure standard bikes?

I went with Ducati BECAUSE they would insure my 620 with termis and a couple of other modifications, and the previous company I was with would not.

I got in touch with them this week because I am changing my bike, and they said they are not sure if they can insure it with aftermarket exhausts - it depends on how much the performance is enhanced.

How come they never asked me that with my 620? Am I being cynical thinking they just wanted to get my money?

I haven't got the exhausts yet, but will be very unhappy if they won't insure it with them.:mad:

My insurance is due for renewal in June.
Who insures their bike with after market exhausts, and with which company?

Pugi
03-03-2006, 04:05 PM
How come they never asked me that with my 620? Am I being cynical thinking they just wanted to get my money?

No, your not cynical. That is the exact point of them talking with you at all. As I've previously posted, the insurance market needs to mature and be cleaned up. It's clearly over exploited, ripping people off. How else would you explain the number of insurance companies and that 50% of TV commercials are about car insurance (the other 50% being loans & mortgages). The idea of insurance is originally to the share the risk, letting companies make a bit of profit for acting as an intermediate between individuals. But have you noticed how close insurance and banking has become? That's because they make so much money they expand to financing.

Look at the rest of Europe, in most countries they pay resonable fees.

Darry
03-03-2006, 04:14 PM
I went with Ducati BECAUSE they would insure my 620 with termis and a couple of other modifications, and the previous company I was with would not.

I got in touch with them this week because I am changing my bike, and they said they are not sure if they can insure it with aftermarket exhausts - it depends on how much the performance is enhanced.

I haven't got the exhausts yet, but will be very unhappy if they won't insure it with them.:mad:

My insurance is due for renewal in June.
Who insures their bike with after market exhausts, and with which company?

Ebikeinsurance are okay with aftermarket exhausts, they just ask how much the performance gain is 0/+5% or >5%.

Darry.