PDA

View Full Version : Sorry officer, I can't hear for my exhaust!

bigredduke
24-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I have read a number of threads on louder replacement systems & their implications for MOT's and it would appear that the decision to pass or not is at the discretion of the tester unless the cans are marked "not for road use"

I removed the DB killer from my Marving 2 into 1 and although it is louder, I don't regard it as excessively so. Certainly, some of the Harleys I have heard at tickover are much louder!

My first question is: has anyone out there in UKMOC land actually been stopped by the fuzz and cautioned or prosecuted as a result? What are the official penalties - licence points, fine or both?

My second q. is: most insurance companies want to know if the bike has been modified in any way, if you don't inform them, your insurance could be null & void. In the case of exhausts, what is the best thing to say to avoid huge premium loading or worse, refusal to quote?

Scotty
24-01-2006, 02:55 PM
well my insurance company dont mind, they seem to be hotter on performace mods like bigger cc, nitrous that sort of thing

worth mentioning then you know your safe

never been stopped for cans

and even when i was stopped, cans didn't appear to be on his mind

bigredduke
24-01-2006, 03:05 PM
well my insurance company dont mind, they seem to be hotter on performace mods like bigger cc, nitrous that sort of thing

worth mentioning then you know your safe

never been stopped for cans

your insurance company is.............?

Scotty
24-01-2006, 04:06 PM
CIA
0870 444 2666 for bikes

odd company the seem keen to keep hold of me with cheaper insurance than the compatision, though my resolve to arse about phoneing round loads of others is minimal.

classed as garaged even though its only in a shed
though that again is specifically mentioned somewhere

bigredduke
24-01-2006, 04:13 PM
CIA
0870 444 2666 for bikes

odd company the seem keen to keep hold of me with cheaper insurance than the compatision, though my resolve to arse about phoneing round loads of others is minimal.

classed as garaged even though its only in a shed
though that again is specifically mentioned somewhere

I supposed that the CIA was involved in a great many things but I didn't realise they were into bike insurance! I wouldn't 'phone around if I were you, your 'phone may be tapped!

Pugi
24-01-2006, 04:32 PM

I suppose this could be subject to the reason for one getting pulled over in the first place... ;)

I belive davey (spelling?) got pulled over when returning home from the Kent BBQ in July. He got done for a whole lot of stupid things (numberplate, reflex), including exhaust. They also tried to pin him for insufficient clutch covering even though it's not illegal. Thankfully he stood his ground and got away with that one. Then he rode home after the coppers flipped a coin to see if he may or if he would have to tow it home. Just had to tell the full story...anyway, he should now.