PDA

View Full Version : Toolkits...with chain adjusters!

Dave G
20-01-2006, 09:52 PM
I just ordered a 916 toolkit with the chain adjuster from Ducati Glasgow.
...£13.50 I think he said,even if that doesnt include vat thats still about £15,which is actually cheaper than I've seen the c-spanner alone sell for on Ebay.
Shame its not included in the first place but dont go out and pay stupid money for them.

grunter
21-01-2006, 08:20 AM
if it anything like the one i bought it will be ****e make a pattern and get some one to make you one?

Gilps
21-01-2006, 08:36 AM
I read somewhere that the one in the toolkit is is 2 pieces and not very good. Be interested to hear if that is the case. I bought one off ebay for about £17 inc postage from US and its very good.

Davefridge
22-01-2006, 01:30 PM
The c spanner that I bought (gen Ducati) has a very short handle so it needs a handle extension making. Also the curve of the spanner doesn't even match the adjuster nut! Basically its crap. I dont know if it works yet as chain not needed adjusting yet.

Dave G
22-01-2006, 02:39 PM
The c-spanner is in two pieces,it isnt the best in the world but it works with a bit of care,which is good enough for what I want it for.
It fits ok,any looseness in fit is probably due to the spanner being about half as thick as the teeth on the adjuster,so it needs to be properly engaged,straight on otherwise it can slip,until recently I used the one from my 916 to adjust the S2R's chain too but the sale of that bike meant I couldn't with all conscience keep the c-spanner from the new owner.
You dont need a lot of force to adjust the chain to warrant having a long handle,if you do then your pince bolts haven't been loosened enough.

Dave G
06-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Here you go,on the left the extensive toolkit(:freak: ) included with the bike.
and on the right,for a mere £12.34 including vat an OE 916 toolkit.
I have all the tools already except the c-spanner,but as a direct and easy replacement I think this is quite useful personally,the 'plug' spanner is a larger diameter and I have yet to check - I noticed someone complaining the smaller one doesnt fit.(Also notice the smallest allen key also has a star drive for those fairing connecters.)
And all in a slightly larger ducati badged pouch:flamed:
Shame Ducati didnt include it as standard

Gilps
06-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Here you go,on the left the extensive toolkit(:freak: ) included with the bike.
and on the right,for a mere £12.34 including vat an OE 916 toolkit.
I have all the tools already except the c-spanner,but as a direct and easy replacement I think this is quite useful personally,the 'plug' spanner is a larger diameter and I have yet to check - I noticed someone complaining the smaller one doesnt fit.(Also notice the smallest allen key also has a star drive for those fairing connecters.)
And all in a slightly larger ducati badged pouch:flamed:
Shame Ducati didnt include it as standard

I hope someone from Ducati reads this coz this stinks. £6k for a bike and they only include half a tool kit which only costs 15 quid for the full job. Appalling.

dave 955
06-02-2006, 06:59 PM
dave g
i had a triumph 955i before with sssa it had a toolkit with the bike and the adjuster was the same two piece affair which was only good for emergencies
i work for an machine tool supplier and in the early days i scanned the old one and had the program enlarged and it was one piece and yust missed the tyre it was laser cut and i think i still have the original D.X.F file somewhere if someone has access to a laser cutter (impractical :banghead: to do any large numbers sorry)
please let me know
cheers dave:banghead:

Dave G
06-02-2006, 07:27 PM
The chain adjuster may not be the best quality item but its perfectly capable of doing the job,I used the one on my 916 for seven years with no great problems and at least it gives you the option of doing your own chain.
I do think that these things are way overpriced on ebay etc where I've seen them fetch over £20 ON THEIR OWN!!!
If you feel the need to get a well made one I'm sure it'll make life easier in your garage.I'm happy with the OE one which also fits under the seat,best of both worlds.:D