PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating

Lost Again
20-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Finally got my frame, swingarm etc. ready for powder coating but just have a couple of questions to anybody else thats had a frame powder coated.

First off, whats the best way to go about masking it off? I was thinking that for all the threads I could just leave them alone then tap them when I get the frame back?
Not sure what to do with the headstock though, anybody got any bright ideas?

secondly, anybody know any decent coaters in the west yorkshire area?

Cheers, Ben

A Yerbury
20-01-2006, 06:28 PM
when you find the coaters then have a word, I'm sure they regularly coat things with threads and bearings.

stuartg
20-01-2006, 06:32 PM
In my experience the company doing the work will put bolts into the threaded parts to avoid them getting gummed up with paint and they will probably use plastic bungs in the head stock

Lost Again
20-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Very good points, I obviously left my thinking cap elsewhere.

Next consideration is wheels. Still not sure whether to go for body colour centres with gloss black outers or just send them to the powder coaters with the frame etc.

Any opinions?

Paranoid Dave
20-01-2006, 07:02 PM
i've had several bike bits powdered and althought you need to check with them, they normally mash it all off with tape, bungs and mine pushed rolled up newspaper down the thread holes. When it comes back though you might find some of them are stuck and maybe a bit of powder has tried to get in. Get yourself a couple of the common thread cutting Taps and run them down the holes before you try using bolts in them just to make sure they are clear and ready.
They might even do this for you but if they do you can bet you'll be charged for it.

A Yerbury
20-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Very good points, I obviously left my thinking cap elsewhere.

Next consideration is wheels. Still not sure whether to go for body colour centres with gloss black outers or just send them to the powder coaters with the frame etc.

Any opinions?

get them all blue.

Lost Again
20-01-2006, 07:38 PM
thought about it but I think that it might be a bit too much. the phrase "Bluer than a smurfs orgy" springs to mind. Then again it might look quite good, or I coul always go back to the mirror polished route. lots of work though.

Bugger, I just don't know....

A Yerbury
20-01-2006, 07:44 PM
thought about it but I think that it might be a bit too much. the phrase "Bluer than a smurfs orgy" springs to mind. Then again it might look quite good, or I coul always go back to the mirror polished route. lots of work though.

Bugger, I just don't know....

well I am going for a respray myself and I concluded that blue whilst lovely was a bit "for boys" and dull...and a bit jmo.. in fact if you polish them it will be very jmo..okay get them black and polished.

CraigMac
20-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Try this man. Geoff,(Miracle Metal Finishers) his mobile is 07932 036451. He is based in Norfolk, but he collects from me in Cheshire....its a long story....
His work is excellent and he is used to bikes...wheels and classic parts.

Regards

stuartg
20-01-2006, 09:57 PM
well I am going for a respray myself and I concluded that blue whilst lovely was a bit "for boys" and dull...and a bit jmo.. in fact if you polish them it will be very jmo..okay get them black and polished.

Cheers Alex, lol

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c219/stuartgascoyne/bike009.jpg

A Yerbury
20-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Cheers Alex, lol

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c219/stuartgascoyne/bike009.jpg

lovely work!! but again whilst struggling with photoshop for colour ideas I really wanted to like blue, I mean why not? its a nice colour? hummingbirds, kingfishers, sharks...err the sky etc etc but it just wasn't for me? anyway thats 3 known blue monsters and just my gold one!!

A.

stuartg
20-01-2006, 10:05 PM
lovely work!! but again whilst struggling with photoshop for colour ideas I really wanted to like blue, I mean why not? its a nice colour? hummingbirds, kingfishers, sharks...err the sky etc etc but it just wasn't for me? anyway thats 3 known blue monsters and just my gold one!!

A.

Mine obviously isnt strictly blue, other than the wheels .....er and a few ancillaries....ahum!!!
Isnt Bensons bike gold? Good choice though

A Yerbury
20-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Mine obviously isnt strictly blue, other than the wheels .....er and a few ancillaries....ahum!!!
Isnt Bensons bike gold? Good choice though

she has quite a lot of black on hers (hence "Benson"), very very nice but mine will be much much saucier. I am a sauce pot, full of sauce....with bloody oversize keihins that dooo in fact work! it is a racket though. I may need to put some baffle back into the sils.

A

stuartg
20-01-2006, 10:19 PM
she has quite a lot of black on hers (hence "Benson"), very very nice but mine will be much much saucier. I am a sauce pot, full of sauce....with bloody oversize keihins that dooo in fact work! it is a racket though. I may need to put some baffle back into the sils.

A

You pleased with the Keihins I take it, oops thread well and truly hijacked

A Yerbury
20-01-2006, 10:27 PM
You pleased with the Keihins I take it, oops thread well and truly hijacked

hijack? f uck em. well after turning the fuel line back on and charging the battery amazingly the bike started and they worked! who would have thought it eh? that pesky fuel line.......so anyway they are at the h'experts getting dyno'd, tweaked and the valves are being done also.

Alix.

ps.apologies to Lost for the blue language. tee hee etc.

stuartg
20-01-2006, 10:29 PM
hijack? f uck em. well after turning the fuel line back on and charging the battery amazingly the bike started and they worked! who would have thought it eh? that pesky fuel line.......so anyway they are at the h'experts getting dyno'd, tweaked and the valves are being done also.

Alix.

ps.apologies to Lost for the blue language. tee hee etc.

Alex, I'd be interested to know what you think, once you've got it sorted.
Perhaps we could have our own Monster/Keihin forum?

A Yerbury
20-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Alex, I'd be interested to know what you think, once you've got it sorted.
Perhaps we could have our own Monster/Keihin forum?

we could but hijacking say....? "look what I done put on ebay peeps!!" by crazy916DESMOgeezah is more amusing. Anyway, I really don't want to count any little baby chickens as things may yet explode and or turn into screaming babies on fire in hell drinking sunny delight....fingers crossed etc! these bad things happen to me sometimes.

A.