PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Brakes

tch911
17-01-2006, 08:16 AM
My brakes squeal like piglets. I've cleaned the discs but to no avail. Is my bike telling me the pads are on the way out?

Scotty
17-01-2006, 11:18 AM
it could be the pads if they have somehow worn unevenly

i once got the impression that the squeel was down to things not ligning up square on

more so in the pushbike world, when disc brakes became mainstream, the calipers were good but the frame mounts on some bikes were slightly suss, to cure the squeeling there was a faceing too that bike shops used

try replaceing pads first, ive got some part used ones somwhere but you proberly want new

just a reminder uh on disk cleaning dont use 'car' disk cleaning products as they contain wax type things to deaden the squeeling, use ipa or some other solvent without added scum.

bod
17-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Brake squeal is caused by air been trapped between pad/disc and when it expands due to friction of said pad/dics produces the high pitched noise.

If the pads are glased up removing pads and a quick rub over on a flat surface with some emery paper usually sorts it,refit with copper grease on moving sufaces(NOT friction material to disc)

If not pad compound may of gone hard and new pads are probably needed even if not worn out yet.

Or live with the noise...great safety feature when coming upto traffic lights etc!