PDA

View Full Version : M600 cutting out

bikeman
17-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Hi, my 2001 m600 has a problem It starts and runs ok, ticks over ok, but when l stop at a junction the revs die down and cuts out. It then starts ok until l stop again. Any ideas ?

stuartg
17-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Hi, my 2001 m600 has a problem It starts and runs ok, ticks over ok, but when l stop at a junction the revs die down and cuts out. It then starts ok until l stop again. Any ideas ?

Sounds like carb icing, its quite common and doesn't have to be that cold. You may have carb heating pipes going to the bowls, if so there is a flow switch under the frame at the right hand front (in front of the carbs)

dustybin
17-01-2006, 08:31 AM
It something a few of us seem to have come across in the past few months. If you look in the Engine, Clutch, Gears section under the "Stalling at traffic lights" thread you will find lots of help and advice.

A Yerbury
17-01-2006, 08:32 AM
as Mr G says it sounds like icing, buy some silkolene pro fst. This works well.

Alex.

ps.Stew pot, I did read that keihins don't ice? (mine are currently being tweaked by the professor) any truth in this?

stef
17-01-2006, 08:58 AM
2001 model.. was that still carbed though ?

A Yerbury
17-01-2006, 09:44 AM
2001 model.. was that still carbed though ?
If 600 jah, 620 is ie.

stuartg
17-01-2006, 09:58 AM
as Mr G says it sounds like icing, buy some silkolene pro fst. This works well.

Alex.

ps.Stew pot, I did read that keihins don't ice? (mine are currently being tweaked by the professor) any truth in this?

Alex havent used the bike yet this winter as I'm in the process of puttin it back together following paint job. Hope to get it up and running end of this week so guess we will both be finding out soon. You'll be impressed by the difference in performance though.

stef
17-01-2006, 10:03 AM
If 600 jah, 620 is ie.

i didnt realise the two models were sold cose...cosid..cosequ..co..at the same time.

A Yerbury
17-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Alex havent used the bike yet this winter as I'm in the process of puttin it back together following paint job. Hope to get it up and running end of this week so guess we will both be finding out soon. You'll be impressed by the difference in performance though.

should be interesting bearing in mind I ended up with 41 not 39's! (the ad wording could be read two ways and I read it the other way...) local wizard should have it sorted and dyno'd by the weekend. Getting the valves finally done too. Performance wise I am not after or expecting "huge" improvements in wallop just responsiveness is what Im after, less of that low rev shuddering. the other plus is that they will work well with a 750 upgrade (when I find one) I have ridden a 900 (albeit in standard form) around town and found it a bit of a drag.

A.

stuartg
17-01-2006, 11:09 AM
should be interesting bearing in mind I ended up with 41 not 39's! (the ad wording could be read two ways and I read it the other way...) local wizard should have it sorted and dyno'd by the weekend. Getting the valves finally done too. Performance wise I am not after or expecting "huge" improvements in wallop just responsiveness is what Im after, less of that low rev shuddering. the other plus is that they will work well with a 750 upgrade (when I find one) I have ridden a 900 (albeit in standard form) around town and found it a bit of a drag.

A.

Mmm I agree the 750 seems to be the best alround option, bit of a half way house. The responsiveness is the biggest plus with the Keihins, it makes the bike far more enjoyable to ride. You wont be disappointed.

DesmoDog
17-01-2006, 12:49 PM
i didnt realise the two models were sold cose...cosid..cosequ..co..at the same time.

My last bike was an 01 600, one of the last. They ran out their old stock on the 600 units before going over to the injection. The sales men came out with any number of great explanations depending on which bike you asked about. Funnily enough, carb icing was never mentioned.

djkus
18-01-2006, 07:48 PM
yeah, this is 100% the same as the problem i had... "stalling at trafic lights"

may not go away 100%, but get that stuff i bought pro fsk or whatever and mix it with the fuel... works a treat.. well did for me..

read about it on that thread i had a while back.