PDA

View Full Version : Kent Map

MilesB
16-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Stuart (STU65) over in Essex has had an interesting idea
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=144014#post144014
which I think will be worth doing in Kent (including the bits outside the county boundary:look: ).

Basically he is putting together a map / gazeteer of good roads, cafes, etc for use by club members.

This being the case, I'm willing to collate the information for Kent.

Miles

scrapps
16-01-2006, 11:28 PM
sounds like a good idea, might be a idea if can also list roads to avoid,ie prone to speed traps very bad surface ect.????? but dont want to put downer on kent profile as has some good roads and nice places to stop and eat/drink ect.

MilesB
17-01-2006, 08:49 AM
sounds like a good idea, might be a idea if can also list roads to avoid,ie prone to speed traps very bad surface ect.????? but dont want to put downer on kent profile as has some good roads and nice places to stop and eat/drink ect.
Definitely a good point... we can avoid my car park at work - which gets my vote for the worst bit of tarmac in Kent:dizzy:

Miles

Lady-Bob
18-01-2006, 10:38 AM
I saw Slob's post and thought it interesting. (Also thought it might be a nice ride to visit Nonnie in Narrrrrfak one day in the summer?)

Nonnie
18-01-2006, 11:19 AM
I saw Slob's post and thought it interesting. (Also thought it might be a nice ride to visit Nonnie in Narrrrrfak one day in the summer?)
yyeeaahh!!!

There are some truly magnificent roads here.

Let's go play!

Found possibly one of the nicest pubs I've ever been to as well. It's in Somerleyton which is borders Norfolk/Suffolk. I ate so much I could hardly move. Top quality.

We can go Great Yarmouth when it opens again Bob!

Paranoid Dave
18-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Oh ride through suffolk without stopping and saying hello then! :worried: Nice to know i have friends out there.:banghead:

gary tompkins
18-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Don't worry Dave - just park the monkey outside your gaff. We are bound to spot it (probably from the QEII bridge :eyepopping:) and promise to give you a little wave as we rumble past :mand:

Too scared to stop as we hear there are lots of weird types, wearing bobble hats and baggy trousers held up with string in Suffolk :freak:

Great idea on the map though, and will help to sort something at the next meeting.

Albie
18-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Definitely a good point... we can avoid my car park at work - which gets my vote for the worst bit of tarmac in Kent:dizzy:

Miles
You dont work at Oakdene do you Miles :D Not seen you there during week.:

MilesB
18-01-2006, 05:43 PM
You dont work at Oakdene do you Miles :D Not seen you there during week.:
I don't even rate the Oakdene car park as enjoying the luxury of poor tarmac - I think it's just puddles held togther with dirt:toilet:

Lady-Bob
24-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Getting back to this subject... I think it is worth giving it a try.

That way, if people want to go out for a ride and no-one from the forum is available that day, there is still nothing to stop them trying out a few routes based on info we provide on a Kent map.

But how do we want to format this document (i.e what do we want to see in it.

I propose the following

Tried and tested routes Hythe and Folkestone Run, Donut Run etc they can be used at any time.

Good biker friendly cafes and their location (Oakdene, Wessons Ogri Cafe etc)

Friendly bike shops where you can go for a coffee and a nose about (Pro-Twins, Laguna etc)

A map with flags shown for rough location of Kent Lot (no addresses, just a pin flag)

More suggestions would be helpful from you guys.

Perhaps areas to avoid (those with police speedtraps most Sundays during the summer etc?)

This would be incredibly helpful to Kent newbies as well as old ones

BTW does anyone know how Stu65 got on with his one?

slob
24-04-2006, 12:54 PM
The problem I have with hosting maps, and I've explained this to Miles and Stu, is that they all tend to be copyrighted and I don't want the 'Blue Meanies' knocking down my door 'cos my FTP Server is hosting them.

Lady-Bob
24-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Hmmm... I'll have to think this one thru a bit more. There must be a way. Give me time and I'll come up with something!

Dave G
24-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Email Gizmo and ask him how he did his
http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/vbgooglemap.php

MilesB
24-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Email Gizmo and ask him how he did his
http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/vbgooglemap.php
You appear to have to be logged in to see this :scratch:

Chaos Inc.
24-04-2006, 04:29 PM
If you link directly to the relevant www.streetmap.co.uk url then it's fine as they supply it freely on their site on the net. In other words, we are not copying it, merely linking to the relevant page on their site. Here is Kings Cross area : http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=530530&y=182980&z=0&sv=wc1x9hh&st=2&pc=wc1x+9hh&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Oh yes, it also opens in a new window as any other link on this site.

Bodybag
24-04-2006, 05:19 PM
...to show routes and locations of interest as well rather than just an area.

Have you tried speaking to Multimap etc. directly to see what they'd say about using their maps? Or try speaking to Ordnance Survey for their advice.

Phil

STU65
24-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Your quite right the idea was to outline routes and roads that were good to ride. Places to eat and drink. To help riders to join en-route as they would know the exact loaction the run would go through.

It would also be useful if each region did this then when your touring this would help others (Monster riders) to find in moments, what its taken others a fair amount of time to find.

Bob, I do not know how to get around the point Rob outlined of copyright.