PDA

View Full Version : Gummed up Carbs

grillphil
16-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Hi all,

My 1st post here & new to UKMOC.

Advice needed with regard to a sticky problem.

I had to repair my M600 tank due to a crack where the hinge is attached. I used a product, similar to Petseal, bought off ebay, which has a red dye in it.

The problem is, the red dye has leached out into the petrol, and deposited itself to the innards of the carbs. As a result, this cr*p has more or less seized the carbs.

Any advice would be appreciated on suggestions of how to clean these out, without having to strip the carbs if possible. I have used 2 cans of carb cleaner, 1 can of brake cleaner, neat redex and they have started to free up slightly. Anyone know of any other products to suggest before I get the spanners out:cry:

Thanks in advance, Phil.

A Yerbury
16-01-2006, 09:23 AM
These products are crude and designed to dry very solid and are impervious to petrol so I don't know how good rededx carb cleaner et al will really work if dry? the gaps/tolernces etc in carbs are very small, even a tiny piece of gunk could affect the performance. without knowing how much got in it is difficult to say but if it was me I would take the carbs out for a clean (and install a dyno jet kit while I am at it) getting to the carbs is a fiddle, getting them off and taking them apart is not so bad.

A.x

ps.what a silly thing to do?!

grillphil
17-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Yep, you are right. A silly thing to do:dunce: Well, part of the learning curve:rolleyes:

I'm in the process of removing the carbs now so will look into having stage 2 jets fitted and re tuned as my new carbon straight through pipes are fitted.

Thanks for your input...

MotoNik
22-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Carbs aren't too bad to remove - once the battery is out you can swing the airbox and electrical gubbins out of the way. That gives you access to the carbs. Removing the throttle cables is a bit fiddly, but once they're off the carbs pop off their rubbers.

Mind how you go removing the float bowls - be sure to select the right screwdriver, as it would be really easy to round the screws off. Good idea to spray some penetrating spray on them 24hrs beforehand.

Once you've got them off you wil be able to clean all the goo out. Do yourself a favour a bung a jet kit in while you're there - saves the hassle of taking the carbs off again!

When you put the carbs back on make sure you re-attach the throttle cables before putting the carbs on the inlets - you'll have a devil of a job getting the cables on otherwise.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted!

cheers,

Nik