PDA

View Full Version : 600 to 750 is now on phase two :)

klause
15-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Picked up a 750 engine from Bob and co on Saturday:thumbsup: (very nice people). Tagged a lift with a friend who just happened to be picking up an engine for himself on the way :up: .

Just spent most of the day getting the bike ready to drop the engine. I'm in the middle of putting some heavy duty hooks in the garage walls so I can lash rope to the bike n keep her steady. Can't use my rear paddock stand as the swingarm is mounted on the engine block.
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/2896/750engine10sl.jpg

Started to disconnect everything, removing the exhaust system was abit of hassle, one of the exhaust studs had to be dremeled off. I was expecting this though as my kawasaki needed all 4 studs dremeled.
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/4126/dscf00250so.jpg

All the engine mounts are loose just need to get the bike stable without using the side stand or rear paddock stand (should invest in a front one).

You should hopefully be be seeing my monster with a 750 engine in it tomorrow. :thumbsup:

antonioshabirto
22-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Do u have any prob installing the 750 engine. any mods need to be done or its just plug and play ??

klause
22-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Do u have any prob installing the 750 engine. any mods need to be done or its just plug and play ??

Plug and play depending on age. The later 600's & 750's use a clutch push rod system, the earlier ones use a pusher on the clutch casing it's self (tear drop casing as seen on my 2nd pic). If you get everything that should come with an engine you just run the clutch line to the left hand side if it's a later one and the right hand side if it's an older one.

Also on the later engine there seem to be three yellow wires coming from the generator, but only two yellow wires on the earlier engine? Abit confused on this as I've never heard of two phased generators? Anyway probably requires a new regulator if you get the later engines. Which I'm after.

antonioshabirto
04-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Plug and play depending on age. The later 600's & 750's use a clutch push rod system, the earlier ones use a pusher on the clutch casing it's self (tear drop casing as seen on my 2nd pic). If you get everything that should come with an engine you just run the clutch line to the left hand side if it's a later one and the right hand side if it's an older one.

Also on the later engine there seem to be three yellow wires coming from the generator, but only two yellow wires on the earlier engine? Abit confused on this as I've never heard of two phased generators? Anyway probably requires a new regulator if you get the later engines. Which I'm after.

when converting ur m600 to m750 what are the things that u change ?

klause
10-03-2006, 05:57 PM
when converting ur m600 to m750 what are the things that u change ?

As I stated above it depends what year 750 engine you buy.

CK & AK
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM

If it has 3 wires you will need to have the rectifier that goes with the alternator. The 3 wired ones are better, as they have better output.

The older ones have the 2 wires - hence 2 phase.

HTOIH?

C:)

klause
10-03-2006, 10:34 PM
If it has 3 wires you will need to have the rectifier that goes with the alternator. The 3 wired ones are better, as they have better output.

The older ones have the 2 wires - hence 2 phase.

HTOIH?

C:)

Yup, or swap the alternator from my 600 to the 750.

antonioshabirto
11-03-2006, 06:41 AM
Yup, or swap the alternator from my 600 to the 750.

is there anyway you can convert the 600 to 750 specs.??

What are the things need to be done if you dun swop the engine but used the same 600 engine just mod it ??

the reason why im asking is coz ..... in my country swoping engine is illegal ...

we can only mod the interior of the engine

gary tompkins
11-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Picked up a 750 engine from Bob and co on Saturday:thumbsup: (very nice people). Tagged a lift with a friend who just happened to be picking up an engine for himself on the way :up: .

Just spent most of the day getting the bike ready to drop the engine. I'm in the middle of putting some heavy duty hooks in the garage walls so I can lash rope to the bike n keep her steady. Can't use my rear paddock stand as the swingarm is mounted on the engine block.

Started to disconnect everything, removing the exhaust system was abit of hassle, one of the exhaust studs had to be dremeled off. I was expecting this though as my kawasaki needed all 4 studs dremeled.

All the engine mounts are loose just need to get the bike stable without using the side stand or rear paddock stand (should invest in a front one).

You should hopefully be be seeing my monster with a 750 engine in it tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Klause,

I managed to support the monster/trike project on a pair of axle stands resting on the footrest hanger bolts. I had to do this to knock out the swingarm pivot to remove the subframe, and PD tipped me off to this method:thumbsup:

It wobbles a bit but is quite solid when resting on front wheel. You'll only need it supported long enough to jack the motor into place and fit the rear swingarm/wheel back in anyway. One thing to note is the sidstand will come off when you remove the LHS footrest assembly, so you'll need to use apaddock stand until it's on the axle stands.

Just been busy cutting manifold studs off myself with a dremel - oh what fun:rolleyes:

klause
11-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Klause,

I managed to support the monster/trike project on a pair of axle stands resting on the footrest hanger bolts. I had to do this to knock out the swingarm pivot to remove the subframe, and PD tipped me off to this method:thumbsup:

It wobbles a bit but is quite solid when resting on front wheel. You'll only need it supported long enough to jack the motor into place and fit the rear swingarm/wheel back in anyway. One thing to note is the sidstand will come off when you remove the LHS footrest assembly, so you'll need to use apaddock stand until it's on the axle stands.

Just been busy cutting manifold studs off myself with a dremel - oh what fun:rolleyes:

Sweet idea will use that soon! Beats rope everywhere!

gary tompkins
12-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Bear in mind you might need to play about with the endfloat shims on the swingarm, due to tolerance differences between the 750/600 arms and engine cases. The shims are available from dealers if you need them.

klause
12-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Bear in mind you might need to play about with the endfloat shims on the swingarm, due to tolerance differences between the 750/600 arms and engine cases. The shims are available from dealers if you need them.

Lost me on this one, the 750 and 600 share the same swing arm?

crust
12-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Lost me on this one, the 750 and 600 share the same swing arm?

Sure but manufacturing tolerances mean that each swinging arm is shimmed to its particular engine.

Change them and they may or may not need shimming

you feeling lucky?

:)Crust

antonioshabirto
15-03-2006, 02:54 PM

how can i change the regulator to a three phase generators ??
im using the older version which has 2 yellow wires

klause
15-03-2006, 11:39 PM
how can i change the regulator to a three phase generators ??
im using the older version which has 2 yellow wires

Buy a later regulator/rectifier or swap the generator from the older engine to the newer engine so you only have 2 wires coming out the new engine and just plug into your orginal rec/reg.

cassiopia
16-03-2006, 01:50 AM
is there anyway you can convert the 600 to 750 specs.??

What are the things need to be done if you dun swop the engine but used the same 600 engine just mod it ??

the reason why im asking is coz ..... in my country swoping engine is illegal ...

we can only mod the interior of the engine
Check your stroke and see if any larger Ducatis share the stroke. A larger bore may be all you need. I believe the 620 and 750 have the same stroke and the barrels are a straight swap, also check out fast by Ferrachi they might have a larger bore conversion that works. Ask your friendly Ducati dealer for help. You can browse the Ducati cataloge and find quite a few parts that are interchangeble. Im planning on doing a similar change myselfin the future. Goodluck.