PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Economy?

The Dude
06-01-2006, 12:34 PM
I've had my 620 monster a few weeks now. First time i filled it right up, the reserve light came on around 104 miles. The second time i filled it up it came on around 90 miles. Going on my calculations, with a 14 litre tank, i would get around 125 or so miles from a full tank of petrol. Is that good or bad? My bike is restricted to 33bhp and i've heard that these restrictors give crap fuel economy. Anyone else got a 620? What kind of milage do you get from your tank? Cheers

slob
06-01-2006, 01:04 PM
I've had my 620 monster a few weeks now. First time i filled it right up, the reserve light came on around 104 miles. The second time i filled it up it came on around 90 miles. Going on my calculations, with a 14 litre tank, i would get around 125 or so miles from a full tank of petrol. Is that good or bad? My bike is restricted to 33bhp and i've heard that these restrictors give crap fuel economy. Anyone else got a 620? What kind of milage do you get from your tank? Cheers
between 50 and 60 mpg depending on urban/m-way/level of aggression in wrist, fuel light typically comes on around 125miles

The Dude
07-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Well if i've worked it out right, 14 litres is 3.07 gallons. I'm getting around 41 mpg, i think.

JMo
07-01-2006, 08:56 AM
If you've heard the restrictors give poor economy, then that is probably the answer (although I don't know why - if it's restricted on the inlet side, then it ought to be using less fuel too?) - maybe you're just wringing it's neck a bit?!

There is plenty of torque in that engine at lower revs, so you can change up early rather than rev the nuts off it...

I must admit, when I first got my 620, the fuel light would come on around 110 miles, but as it did more miles, the economy has increased up to around 130, even 150 on a gentle long run...

xxx

The Dude
07-01-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm actually taking it quite easy on the revs. I haven't revved it over 5500rpm. I'm sticking to the recommended running in specs. I toddle along at around 2000 - 3000 rpm when i'm just riding around in traffic.

Headhunter
07-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Had exactly the same issue with my 620. Was doing c.35mpg but in congested London traffic!!!! :mad:

Since the first service it has improved, but not by a great deal. Mention it in your first service and no doubt they'll sort it out.

The Dude
07-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks all :thumbsup:

JMo
07-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Ah, if it's still very new then you'll almost certainly see an improvement as the miles rack up a bit...

Mind you, I understand they do tend to be set up quite rich from the factory (helps smooth out any jerkiness from the EFi I believe), so as Headhunter suggests, it might be worth asking them to do a fuelling check (not sure if that is part of the 1st service, but I think it ought to be...)

Best of luck...

xxx

The Dude
07-01-2006, 04:49 PM
I have noticed it is quite smokey when running. I didn't expect that from a 4 stroke bike. And when i get home from being out on it, i do smell burning oil a little. As this is my first "big bike" i'm not sure if all this is normal. On another note, what should a 620 idle at? Mine sits slightly under 1000rpm, not much, just a hair.

bod
07-01-2006, 05:12 PM
:spin: :spin: :spin: Quite smoky,are you sure this isn't just condensation(it is cold outside)
Keep a check on the oil level it may use a bit while "running in" although mine didn't.
As for the smell "it's just the newness of it, they all do that sir" as long as you havn't got a leak every thing should be ok.
(Now what smiley shall I try next)?:spin:

slob
07-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Tickover@1000 RPM is about right. You'll probably find just under when cold and just over when good and warm.

JMo
07-01-2006, 05:39 PM
I have noticed it is quite smokey when running. I didn't expect that from a 4 stroke bike. And when i get home from being out on it, i do smell burning oil a little. As this is my first "big bike" i'm not sure if all this is normal. On another note, what should a 620 idle at? Mine sits slightly under 1000rpm, not much, just a hair.

If you can smell oil, then that usually means it's burning (or leaking)... as Bod says - keep an eye on the level in the sightglass...

I must say, I had a problem with mine burning excessive oil when it was new - more than a litre every 1000 miles - turns out the rings hadn't seated properly during running in... They say this can happen when you run in using synthetic oil - it's too good - so a lot of people say you should use semi-synthetic, or even regular oil for the first 600/1000 miles... However, Ducati UK (and the handbook) say to use only fully synthetic, so if there is any problem, they should sort it under warrenty - they did for me.

xxx

Fosse Foxfight
07-01-2006, 05:45 PM
They say this can happen when you run in using synthetic oil - it's too good - so a lot of people say you should use semi-synthetic, or even regular oil for the first 600/1000 miles...
xxx
Quite a few years ago when BMW launched a new 3 series they did a million mile test with Mobil 1, one of the first synth oils commercially available. Blah blah basic test with an engine doing a million miles on the bench and dissassembling to show the remarkable lack of wear....and it was true!!
What they ommitted to say was that they ran it in for 1500 miles with 10/40 mineral......so good point JMo. Theoretically using mineral to run in would give a better surface to the bores and rings and then a switch to synth wold retain that lovely finish and fit....but of course this is only for you lovely people who buy BNWT:p

ta ra

The Dude
07-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Could be condensation. I don't think there's an oil leak. There's no oil on the ground where the bikes sits. The smell could be just newness as i remember the same smell when i got my Aprilia RS125. It's actually almost like an electrical fumes smell. I'll mention the milage at the first service, which should be in a few weeks, and see what they say. :thumbsup:

paul620sie
09-01-2006, 07:25 AM
My 620 regularly did about 110miles before the light came on. I can recall how it faired with the restrictor kit fitted (but i'm sure it wasn't significantly worse). I do recall with the kit fitted it was best to use the engine's torque as anything about 8000rpm resulted in more noise but no real accelleration, it was better to change up a gear!

DesmoDog
09-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Sometimes the crush seal on the sump gets reused by unscrupulous types, the result is a slow drip of oil onto your exhaust pipe - that gives off smoke and smells. If it's an electrical burning smell I'd be trying to find the source.

Could be condensation. I don't think there's an oil leak. There's no oil on the ground where the bikes sits. The smell could be just newness as i remember the same smell when i got my Aprilia RS125. It's actually almost like an electrical fumes smell. I'll mention the milage at the first service, which should be in a few weeks, and see what they say. :thumbsup: