PDA

View Full Version : S4 Misfire (again!)

jamie
04-01-2006, 10:40 AM
I posted this ages ago. Wondered wether anyone has found a miracle cure...

Rain and spray off the road gets into front cylinder, plug fouls and misfires. A new plug (how much!!!?) or clean up old one and its ok. Have cunningly fashioned a longer mudguard to cut down on spray but still happens.

Any ideas?

Does it ever rain in Italy??

Scotty
04-01-2006, 11:30 AM
some bloke once mentioned some sort of silicon selent from an off road shop but i never ended up actually trying it , i havent had the problem for an age now which is ace but i think its through luck rather than anything else

i did replace the coil thing that goes on top of the plug (you dont want to know how much that was) because the outercaseing of it split , im still not sure if theres anything actually wrong with it new plugs errm £10 each good eh or try
http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/database/altresults.asp
ra59gc

or spareshack or nattyboy might have some in the depths of his traders lockup

A Yerbury
04-01-2006, 11:48 AM
hang on rain and spray gets into the front cylinder?!!? err that is a very bad thing. the extended mudguard is the ambulance at the base of the well oiled cliff. I suspect muck in the cylinder is not the problem but a fuel mixture problem possibly an oil seal?

kaysee
04-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Jamie. Have you thrown away the crap original plug caps, and replaced them with water proof ones from NGK?

Do that before you try anything else.

jamie
04-01-2006, 04:45 PM
oops. Not into the cylinder, just getting the plug.

Ill give the plug caps a go, spareshack? Or can you get them anywhere?

jamie
04-01-2006, 05:21 PM
hang on, the plug cap is the coil on these isn't it? So ngk wouldn't make the whole thing?

Scotty
04-01-2006, 05:28 PM
hang on, the plug cap is the coil on these isn't it? So ngk wouldn't make the whole thing?

yup by denso i think much £ from a dealer £100 ish

your sure you havent inadvertantly trapped some moisture down there ?

A Yerbury
04-01-2006, 07:02 PM
oops. Not into the cylinder, just getting the plug.

Ill give the plug caps a go, spareshack? Or can you get them anywhere?

you can get them anywhere (obviously not mothercare) ngk caps are about 3 quid each and just screw onto the cable

Scotty
04-01-2006, 07:23 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=8597&stc=1&d=1136402591

ooh picture upload is well different :eek:

A Yerbury
04-01-2006, 07:29 PM
yet more rusty tat! possibly this cap leak is the problem? but on a relatively new bike, the thought of moisture and gubbins getting up and under the plug cap is a bit???? well, maybe it is a poor design; but on my 10 year old 600 and with the (now replaced for vanity not necessity reasons) origional caps the plugs would never grime up as you describe.

Shauns4
05-01-2006, 08:47 PM
try sealing the connector onto the coil/plug cap, this is where water is likely to get in, doubt if it is getting down the 'plug hole'

as already said you cannot use anything other than the original plug cap!

A Yerbury
05-01-2006, 08:56 PM
I see so with s4's you can only use the origional? how daft.

Shauns4
05-01-2006, 09:06 PM
not sure why Ducati have done this, on the m1000 the coils are seperate so you can use std plug caps, but they are consistent at being inconsistent

Shaun

A Yerbury
05-01-2006, 09:31 PM
so the reason they are so long is that the coil is in there too? hmm, at least they have'nt done anything really silyy like mount the battery sideways.

Fosse Foxfight
05-01-2006, 09:40 PM
and verily doeth they reek of vermin foul, forsooth tis the smell of fishy I hear a noise most troubling and queer, a coil upon a spark plug cap?.....how very very very crap

now tys tyme to seek out a maiden fair so that she might fill my stomach stout,
but until this rare occasion happens, I will be off to pose and pout

ta da ra

bod
06-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Modern advances in automotive electrics seem to be to bolt all electric bits to the engine(saves on wiring)...Don't they realise these things get hot!
Coil on plug system is used on many cars,if you had a french model you would have bought serveral already:rolleyes:

steve kearl
07-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi there I have just had the same problem with my S4 and got a new plug cap/coil from Ducati under warranty and I sealed it between the cap and the rubber seal ring that goes around it to try and stop the water getting in and I am trying to get one of my friends at work to make me a stainless steel heat shield as they keep rusting out and then cracking and then the bike misfires again. Hope this gives you an idea.
Steve