PDA

View Full Version : Essex ride out information

STU65
03-01-2006, 07:17 PM
I hope all those in ESSEX (or Suffolk) or those that have been out riding in ESSEX may be able to help me. I would like to create a map of roads which are great to ride in Essex, and of Pubs and cafes which are a little better or more interesting than the norm and worth a visit.

If you would be kind enough to inform me of these I'll try to put an Essex (or Suffolk) county map together ready for when the weather improves and the salt is washed away.

Many thanks in adavance and thanks for looking.

slob
03-01-2006, 07:21 PM
I hope all those in ESSEX (or Suffolk) or those that have been out riding in ESSEX may be able to help me. I would like to create a map of roads which are great to ride in Essex, and of Pubs and cafes which are a little better or more interesting than the norm and worth a visit.

If you would be kind enough to inform me of these I'll try to put an Essex (or Suffolk) county map together ready for when the weather improves and the salt is washed away.

Many thanks in adavance and thanks for looking.

Happy New Year Stu,
was it you whose call I missed the other day? seemed like your area code ish
T and I had lunch at The Sun in Dedham, opposite the church, a couple of weeks back... thoroughly recommended!!
The Barn on the corner just south of the village is up for sale, sadly a little out of my price range.
See you soon

STU65
04-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Hi Rob, glad to hear you had a great Christmas and dining out in style. The resturant sounds wonderful, I'll have to get the better half out and pop in for lunch.

Yes, I did try to give you a call, just to wish you and T a happy new year.

Hope to see you out and about in 2006.

benson
04-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Hurrah! Someone else out on the roads in Essex and Suffolk - and of course NOT forgetting Norfolk where Nonnie and Rod have moved to - well done for a great idea Stu - see you soon I hope!
Rachel (aka Benson)

Paranoid Dave
04-01-2006, 07:20 PM
hello stu and others

I did think about something like this once, a black and white map on my wall and every time i find a nice road i highlight it sort of thing, then when i have a load that link up i can go for one mutha' of a spin.
Never actually got off my fat one tho. I know quite a lot of nice roads in suffolk but like all the best they are short and don't connect :rolleyes:

Were you just going to make a big list or something more visual?

dustybin
08-01-2006, 10:20 PM
hello stu and others

I did think about something like this once, a black and white map on my wall and every time i find a nice road i highlight it sort of thing, then when i have a load that link up i can go for one mutha' of a spin.
Never actually got off my fat one tho. I know quite a lot of nice roads in suffolk but like all the best they are short and don't connect :rolleyes:

Were you just going to make a big list or something more visual?

Dave - Doesn't matter if they don't link up. Let us know the routes that are good and we can go from there. I am dying to get out on a decent ride that is not my usual run to work.

dustybin
08-01-2006, 10:51 PM
The Outlaws have just bought a summer place up in Kessingland (Suffolk) so will be be up there quite a lot. Be nice to have an excuse not to take the car!

bignj
10-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Let me be the first to give you a couple of road for your map.

A1071 from the A134 north of Colchester through Boxford, Hadleigh and Hintlesham to Ipswich is a good road, mixture of twistys and national speed limits.

For a Sunday morning get out the house for a couple of hours, nothing to strenuous. A133 from Colchester to Weeley, B1033 to Thorpe Le Soken, B1414 to Harwich (Burger van on Old Harwich front does a good cuppa and a bacon roll) Back to Colchester the choice is yours, if your running late, head down and pin it all the way back on the A120. If time is on your side take the B1352 to Mistley and the A137 to Colchester.

During the summer, Gt Bentley is worth visiting on a Wednesday evening for the biker gathering.

And finally The Jubilee Transport Cafe on the Old Ipswich Road which runs parallel with the A12 north of colchester from the A120 interchange at Ardleigh does a very nice fry up.

STU65
10-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Right I've had a thought and by way of a suggestion I thought this may be a way to get all the roads highlighted. At the weekend I'll scan in a map of ESSEX in A4 page sizes. Then everyone can down load the pages add their best roads cafes, views what ever and then rescan it back onto the site.

How does that sound. I'm open to another ideas.

Keep the info coming and we'll try to get a Essex Monster Map sorted.

If this works we can add Suffolk in a couple of weeks.

At least this gives us all a chance to get ready for the spring and the better weather.

TTFN. Map to come.

Moley
10-01-2006, 11:31 PM
A belated happy new year to you all.
Sounds like a good idea Stu and I have a few nominations in mind.

STU65
15-01-2006, 08:42 PM
I've run into a small problem, I now have an Essex map in PDF format, but it is still too big to up load onto this site.

If some one can tell me how to upload the file then great I'll do it and we can start to get this rolling.

The alternative is that each of you PM's me your emails and I'll send the files out once you have the file please mark up the routes, roads, cafes etc.. that you recommend and I'll then collate the info and send round the maps with all info included. If you can tell me of the names of the cafes etc... that will help others.

Rob if your on line I know you are an old sage at this computer malarkey, any advice would be good.

slob
15-01-2006, 08:57 PM
I've run into a small problem, I now have an Essex map in PDF format, but it is still too big to up load onto this site.

If some one can tell me how to upload the file then great I'll do it and we can start to get this rolling.

The alternative is that each of you PM's me your emails and I'll send the files out once you have the file please mark up the routes, roads, cafes etc.. that you recommend and I'll then collate the info and send round the maps with all info included. If you can tell me of the names of the cafes etc... that will help others.

Rob if your on line I know you are an old sage at this computer malarkey, any advice would be good.
leave it with me for a day or two, I'll sort out an ftp server

MilesB
16-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Right I've had a thought and by way of a suggestion I thought this may be a way to get all the roads highlighted. At the weekend I'll scan in a map of ESSEX in A4 page sizes. Then everyone can down load the pages add their best roads cafes, views what ever and then rescan it back onto the site.

How does that sound. I'm open to another ideas.

Keep the info coming and we'll try to get a Essex Monster Map sorted...
Hi Stu - Happy New Year

This sounds like a bonza idea:hail: , so I may give this a go for Kent too.

Miles