PDA

View Full Version : Am I too paranoid

Fosse Foxfight
02-01-2006, 02:11 PM
OK, my 900 is on Ebay, I've just had a guy purportedly from Sweden ring me on my mobile which I gave him on request, didnt really think much of it, but when he asked me for my address and said he was coming over to UK on Friday, some ickle bells rang.......first his phone number came up on my mobile as:

this looks to me like a UK based mobile number?
Also his Ebay id is new, with 0 ratings.

I'm right to be cautious about giving out my address tho?

Sean

JMo
02-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Sounds a bit suss (especially the phone number thing) - why not arrange to meet him at a neutral location (far enough away from home that he can't easily follow you) - say a bike dealers or something like that?

Then if the deal looks dodgy - you can ride like a madman away from the scene?

xxx

sjr999r
02-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Go with a friend and tell someone where the both are u are going aswell....(bit over the top.......yes........but i did this when a guy bought my 748sps of me).....like jmo says.....somewhere half way,but somewhere u know well. If u decide to sell to him,do the same thing again,dont be lowered into a false sense of sercurity.

A Yerbury
02-01-2006, 02:52 PM
arrange to meet outside a police station and fabricate some body armour out of dustbins. What's his name? you can tell a lot from a name. This fellow is just coming for a look right?

Duncan
02-01-2006, 03:13 PM
And insist on cash NOT bank drafts or building society drafts as there are loads of forged ones about, be careful also about test rides. He may also have a draft for more than the bikes value and ask you to give him the bike and a cash settlement, if he does this scam break his knees with an iron bar and ride off.

stef
02-01-2006, 03:17 PM
he could simply be a swedish student in the uk who was back home for his christmas holidays. hence the UK mobile number.

manwithredbike
02-01-2006, 03:37 PM
why don't you just phone him and ask him his story first eg the sus phone number etc, then if still sus do all the other stuff above. def wouldn't give out your address tho.

JMo
02-01-2006, 06:21 PM
he could simply be a swedish student in the uk who was back home for his christmas holidays. hence the UK mobile number.

Aha - so Pugi wants to trade up to a 900 afterall?!

xxx

Paranoid Dave
02-01-2006, 07:40 PM
he could be an evil person with a big knife and pointed teeth, nothing to be too paranoid about.

NattyBoy
03-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Just turn up with a mate or two on there bikes..thats what I'd do..

Nat

dean
03-01-2006, 10:45 AM
the 0709 number is premium rate, maybe thats got something to do with it, make sure you dont ring it for a start.

w108rna
03-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Isn't that phone no too short for a mobile number?

DesmoDog
03-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Well the premium number solves it. On the subject of meeting half way, it's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it because the first advice you get about buying from someone is to always insist on meeting at their place of work/home, preferably where the bike is registered.

paul620sie
03-01-2006, 12:51 PM
My advice....

Ask him to bring some proof of ID (passport, photo licence) as you'll need it to complete the V5 if you sell it. offer to take his picture while he's sitting on bike so he can see how good he looks on it.

Don't let him see any other bikes you may have in your garage (he could be looking to see what you have that's worth taking at a later date).

Do say you normally keep the bike elsewhere (ie, your mum's, brother's, work's garage etc) so that he think's it isn't worth a return trip if he's up to no good.

Do trust your gut instinct, chances are you'll be right.

Pugi
07-01-2006, 02:21 AM
The number is a valid swedish mobile number. But it should have turned up with the country code. I ran a check on it (it's all on the web if your swedish ;-) ) and it belongs to a guy in Stockholm. I have his name + adress etc etc. Can provide his social security #, where he works and more if needed.

Fosse Foxfight
07-01-2006, 07:54 AM
The number is a valid swedish mobile number. But it should have turned up with the country code. I ran a check on it (it's all on the web if your swedish ;-) ) and it belongs to a guy in Stockholm. I have his name + adress etc etc. Can provide his social security #, where he works and more if needed.
Aaaah I PMed you before I read this....how very odd...anyway he didnt get back to me and it sold anyway so thanks for all the advice chaps n chapettes and thanks for taking the trouble to check it out Pugi

ta ra

Sean

Pugi
07-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Aaaah I PMed you before I read this....how very odd...anyway he didnt get back to me and it sold anyway so thanks for all the advice chaps n chapettes and thanks for taking the trouble to check it out Pugi

ta ra

Sean

No problem, it's easily done in 5 min. Glad you were on your toes and didn't fall for it. Should I congratulate you or give you my condolences for getting the bike sold? :confused: