PDA

View Full Version : S4R No electrics-mystery

phil996
26-12-2005, 11:42 AM
This is a strange one. I took advantage of the Xmas Eve sunshine for a quick 30 mile ride, came back washed the bike, dried it carefully with seat off and tank hinged upright, since then it will not start, just a clicking from the relays on the side of the battery, nothing else works -lights, horn, indicators,etc. I have checked main fuse, other fuses to no avail!
Any ideas guys? :(

bigredduke
26-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Sounds like a flat battery. My S4R 'died' last Summer on my way into work. The AA guy said the rectifier/regulator (the rectangular finned jobby under the seat) was not charging the battery. It turned out that the connector block behind the side panel was not pushed home fully & so running the engine was discharging the battery. Worth checking!

steve kearl
08-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Have you got the immoboliser still in the ignition key and ignition, if so try keping the ignition covered next time you wash the bike, I have in my ignition and everytime I washed the bike the immobilser light would come on and the alarm relay would start buzzing( the alarm being under the seat/with seat still on while washing the bike) and then that was it, it just would not start until completely dried out. A bit late but I hope this helps perhaps for next time.

phil996
08-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks, we thought that at first, it turned out to be a total battery failure which has been replaced by the dealer under warranty.Odd really as the bike is fairly new and always on an Optimate. The same thing happened with my BMW so you can't blame Italian electrics, even the Germans get it wrong sometime!

Sparky
08-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks, we thought that at first, it turned out to be a total battery failure which has been replaced by the dealer under warranty.Odd really as the bike is fairly new and always on an Optimate. The same thing happened with my BMW so you can't blame Italian electrics, even the Germans get it wrong sometime!

Are you sure it's not the Optimate killing your batteries?

phil996
10-01-2006, 10:37 AM
I had heard of problems with Optimates and gell batteries.However I have a similar set up on the other bike and no problems. For some reason the bike had an inferior battery on it, it now has a genuine Yuasa, so fingers crossed!