PDA

View Full Version : EOBD light

moor-ph0
21-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi,
Has anyone had problems, possibly due to the immobliser causing the EOBD (European onboard diagnostics) light to stay on and thus disengage the starter? To give you some idea of the history of the problem I had my Meta alarm replaced under warranty around 8months ago. The new upgraded meta alarm incorporates the key and fob into one unit. The transponder fitted normally inside the keyhousing is removed and placed inside the fob. From the day it was fitted I then had problems with the EOBD light coming on, which the technician put down to coincedance. The diagnostics indicated the problem was the started circuit and he duly reset and assured the EOBD would stay out -not the case! I then changed to spare key and spare fob and it's been fine. The key was the problem and the shop ordered one up as I would like to retain a spare. Several months later the key has arrived and was programmed with my red key along with the working orginal spare on Saturdaylast week. This morning I disable the alarm with the keyfob as normal and switch the ignition on and guess what ? the EOBD light stays ON. I then switch off then on immediately and all is now fine.
I've been in touch with the technician asking if the progamming in anyway alters the key that's been working fine for months - he's not sure. As the technician says might be a coincedance and possibly their's another fault but I think it's down to the key. Has anyone had similar problems?

Geoff

bod
21-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Just an idea but has the immobiliser section of the alarm been wired up to disconect an ignition feed to the ECU or something like that.
I recomend you disconect the immobilser circuits of the alarm and try from there.
If all ok the sparky who fitted it needs to find another circuit to immobilise.
Seems wieird it has only happend since alarm fitted,all other connections feeds,earths connections to indicators shouldn't cause a problem.

moor-ph0
22-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Hi,
I agree that it's weird and to make things worse it might be down to the fob. Left work last night and all was fine. Got home and sequenced the alarm several times and on one occasion the EOBD stayed ON. I've went back to the spare fob I've been using and all seems fine. Spent some twenty minutes sequencing the alarm etc but can't get the EOBD light to stay ON. It appears that for some reason that one of my Meta fobs switches the alarm off as normal and the clocks, fuel pump ect all work but when I switch the ignition on for some reason it leaves the EOBD light ON. To test my theory I'll continue with the spare fob. I'm going to phone meta alarms for their input.
Geoff

bod
22-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Different fob's shouldn't behave differently,although the alarm can be pogramed to do different things (pasive mode/not flash indicators)etc etc
The fob is just an radio frequency passed to the alarm control unit and would be no differnt to any spare fob.

The programing is stored in the main alarm ECU on an EPROM.

moor-ph0
23-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi,
I totally agree - it's a RF signal that talks to the alarm - activates and deactivates and in my mind should have no effect on anything that might cause the EOBD light to stay on, and in most case works fine. I'm back to my spare fob and I've not experienced any problems with the EOBD light. Emailed Meta systems, unfortunately won't talk to me as I'm not a registered installer. They recommend I get the alarm replaced under warranty if I think it's causing problems. If for some strange reason it's the fob I would prefer a new fob. I use my bike everyday so I'll run with my spare fob for two weeks. Then I'll change back to my other fob and if I now get problems then it's definetly the fob and then I'll speak to the dealer that fitted it.
Geoff