PDA

View Full Version : painting a tank

stef
18-12-2005, 06:21 PM
right,
i just purchased this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPRESSOR-NAIL-SPRAY-KIT-BARGAIN_W0QQitemZ7573141922QQcategoryZ28057QQcmdZV iewItem

with a view of painting the tank myself.
anyone with good experience who can guide me through ?

JMo
18-12-2005, 07:04 PM
1. Take tank to professional spray shop...

2. Sell compressor on Ebay (hopefully for a profit)...

3. Go back to professional spray shop a week later, give chap some money...

4. Fit newly painted tank to bike...

xxx

gary tompkins
18-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Or....

If your still planing on the chrome effect - how about this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8022134546&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

A Yerbury
18-12-2005, 07:12 PM
right,
i just purchased this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPRESSOR-NAIL-SPRAY-KIT-BARGAIN_W0QQitemZ7573141922QQcategoryZ28057QQcmdZV iewItem

with a view of painting the tank myself.
anyone with good experience who can guide me through ?

whilst I tend to agree with Jennifer I applaud the schutzpah and say hats off to you. According to the chappie who does my painting (lets call him Steve) the real knack is knowing just when to stop, too little and you end up with a dull colour, for real depth and sparkle you need to really pile the ink on and stop a second before it all sags, knowing when this cut off happens is the bit that takes practice.

stef
18-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Or....

If your still planing on the chrome effect - how about this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8022134546&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

umm..i would, but a langauge tool gives me this:
Sell a chrome tank for a Ducati monster with scratch on the left side (see Foto's)

i think not..it looks like a chrome job gone bad.

with a lot of patience, and some help i should be able to get somewhere !
the good thing is that when i am sick of the colour, i can do it again. i can even try to experiment with masking, stripes etc....which i wouldnt have been able to do at a professional

I could also sell the compressor when i am done, or use the compressed air to clean my carbs.

A Yerbury
18-12-2005, 10:19 PM
most, if not all pro's will do stripes/designs/decals/airbrush but if you insist on the DIY route then good luck.

A.

gary tompkins
18-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Well spotted on the 'damaged goods' tag Stef. I couldn't be arsed with bablefish at the time. That's the trouble with those chromed jobbies - never photograph that well TBH.

Back to plan 'B' then - magnolia stipple effect?

A Yerbury
18-12-2005, 10:37 PM
the other problem is that they scratch easily, and look a bit naff...?

Pugi
18-12-2005, 11:14 PM
the other problem is that they scratch easily, and look a bit naff...?

Oi! :mad:
They look great. :bunny:

Fosse Foxfight
19-12-2005, 08:43 AM
According to the chappie who does my painting (lets call him Steve) the real knack is knowing just when to stop, too little and you end up with a dull colour, for real depth and sparkle you need to really pile the ink on and stop a second before it all sags, knowing when this cut off happens is the bit that takes practice.

Does this really matter with Dulux matt emulsion Yerbera?..aah and I do believe you mean "chutzpah"?...

ta ra

Fosse Foxfight
19-12-2005, 08:45 AM
According to the chappie who does my painting

Just as an aside, theres a few white sticks going on Ebay at the moment if you wanna tell your man?

ta ra

Dave G
19-12-2005, 09:02 AM
I've only painted two tanks in my time but will never do it again,its just too much trouble.Pressure is very important,my compressor is set around 40psi,any less and the paint spatters, much more and it travels too fast and doesnt cover,this is entirely dependant on the consistency of your paint and worth experimenting with before going anywhere near your tank.
You'll need to keep the brush moving too,and at an even distance,to close and it'll 'blow' the settled paint creating a patchy finish.
Before you do any spraying try and make a spraybooth, to stop a lot of the spray dispersing over everything and-more importantly,to stop dust and other airborne particles getting at your wet paint.
Other than that its trial and error,its also worth talking to a local paintshop for advice.I'd also get them to laquer it afterwards if your happy with the results.

stef
19-12-2005, 09:03 AM
most, if not all pro's will do stripes/designs/decals/airbrush but if you insist on the DIY route then good luck.

A.

oh yes, i agree, its only the experimenting bit which would have been prohibitively expensive.
and since i am still not sure on the colour...
so far, ducati red seem to be flavour of the week. now i just need to think of something to make it that little more special. ideas ?
- a white stripe just wont do, with the red/black/carbon overall look..
-a black stripe then ? not so sure..
aaargggg (that's the sound of frustration)

CK & AK
19-12-2005, 09:41 AM
we only do the 'home stuff' on the race bikes, otherwise we go to a professional ........................

stef
19-12-2005, 11:03 AM
You really are raising my spirits, you lot !

I completely painted a fully faired CBR a few years back, and the result wasnt too bad, the only glitches were where i had filler. i was a bit careless at those points, but nothing to do with the paint though. i was in France, and was due to ride back 6 days later, so it was a bit of a rush job.

this time round, i have all the time in the world ! not riding before spring, i reckon i can go through a few iterations.

does anybody know how to make a two tone section ? i am thinking masking tape, but the edge may look a bit rough.

all this is very occ.

A Yerbury
19-12-2005, 11:55 AM
yes it is chutzpah, well done Floss, good to see the sub-editors earning their crust, although the white sticks joke is a bit lame, nice try etc but go and sit in the silly corner with Bambi, Will and the other gits.

masking tape?! yeah, use that!.....err no steff they use a special thin masking tape, very thin and pliable not sure of the technical name. you will need to treat the paint with a rubbing compound or wet dry prior to lacquering, I assume you know about this.

A.

stef
19-12-2005, 12:27 PM
oh yes,
i have my source of info.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/harley_paintin.htm

i'll check out that masking stuff then. i though masking tape would not really be applicable here, but i had to ask.

all the fun is making it yourself though. i am just about to prime my engine cover, this afternoon. will be a nice test for my newly installed painting booth in the garage. maybe i'll "tag" the walls with some fancy logos and characters, as they do in proper bike painting shops. i know, i have seen it on occ and battle of the customs, or something.

stef
19-12-2005, 12:30 PM
oh yeah, i remember now, on occ, that guy used some clear film and razor blades to cut the shapes. flames...i want flames !

Fosse Foxfight
19-12-2005, 12:40 PM
although the white sticks joke is a bit lame, nice try etc but go and sit in the silly corner with Bambi, Will and the other gits.
A.
White stick.....lame.....weeeeeeeeeehehe!!!!????

Sit in the silly corner? u iz zo arsh to da homiez bro

ta ra