PDA

View Full Version : ecu ness

Scotty
17-12-2005, 05:26 PM
ok crazey idea here but bear with me

since im about to aquire new exhaust including ecu should i also buy a new set of locks/keys there by enabeling me so sell a S4challange ecu and key set (+ battered exhaust) to any S4 owner who wanted it

or is the cost of a new key/lock set so astronomical its not worth it ?

and am i missing something funadamental as to why i can/cant do this :confused:

(and no i dont think the clocks are part of the imobaliserness on the S4)

Shauns4
17-12-2005, 05:59 PM
I thought the ECU is programmed by the original red key and likewise a new ECU the same, I have the programming instructions for the DP ecu fitted to my S4 somewhere, not sure why you think a new lock and key is needed?

The ECU immobliser can aslo be disabled, i think the software I have will do this, would need to check.

The clocks are not part of the immobliser system it comprises an attena mouted outside the clocks, transponder in the key and ecu.

hope this helps

Shaun

CK & AK
17-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Once an ECU has been matched to the clocks and key, it is then tied into it.

To the best of my knowledge, only the clocks of these 3 items can then be split to work independantly....possibly

A :)

Shauns4
17-12-2005, 06:45 PM
just checked in the factory manual, the key is programmed to the ECU and it can also be re-programmed so its the opposite to what I said.

if the clocks are changed the key has to be reprogrammed but I think this depends on which type of clocks are fitted, i.e. the mechanical or electronic ones.

Scotty
17-12-2005, 08:01 PM
right yup
errm ive kinda explained it badly perhaps

if i wanted to sell current ecu it would only be of use if i sold the keys (and hence locks) with it

the question is would anyone want to buy it ?

CK & AK
17-12-2005, 08:24 PM
right yup

if i wanted to sell current ecu it would only be of use if i sold the keys (and hence locks) with it

Yes mate, thats right

the question is would anyone want to buy it ?

Most likely only someone who has a nicked bike (not being rude, but it is std - nothing special) so be very careful who you do sell them to Scotty

Scotty
17-12-2005, 08:29 PM
ahhh har not quite so std

challange ecu dont ya know

proberly not worth it though then ?

presume it would be hassel to get new lock set for specifically the anti theif reason

JMo
17-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Also, someone would then be riding around with the same set of keys as you? and if they knew where you lived - bye bye S4 with fancy new ECU?

xxx

Scotty
17-12-2005, 10:45 PM
well no cos i'd have bought a new set for my bike ~?

you know its sometimes frustraiting , i know what im on about in my head but i cant seem to explain it properly

and having just looked over all my previous postes/threads EVER some of the crap i wright realy is embarresing , fingers crossed ive matured/improved slightly

im soooooo board , roll on summer .

Shauns4
18-12-2005, 06:11 AM
[QUOTE=Scotty]right yup

QUOTE]

Don't agree, when you buy a DP ecu you don't get a new lock and key, you re-program the red key followed by the black keys to the new ECU. The programming procedure is in the factory manual and you don't need any special tools, you can also disable the immobiliser function without special tools. All you need is the red key, the code (both supplied with a new bike) and the procedure from the manual or supplied with the DP ecu.

Shaun

JMo
18-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Shaun - are you sure?

I always thought it was the keys that hold the coding, not the ECU - hence the need to hang on to your red key, as that is the master for programming the ECU... and once it's been coded to the keys, it's useless without them.

xxx

Shauns4
18-12-2005, 02:18 PM
not sure exactly which way around it is in that is it the key or the ecu that is the master but I know you can change the ecu without changing the key and locks which means either the key or ecu is re-programmed to match.

the manual states keys can be re-programmed but this probably means the black keys.

anyone who has a DP ecu should also have the immobilser programming instructions which are supplied with it.

Shaun

CK & AK
18-12-2005, 03:55 PM
you can re code keys to a replacement unprogrammed std or DPecu.

But, you cant sell/give on a progammed ecu, without the same coded key with it.

You can get DP etc ECU's, and then they are coded using your red key.

HTIOH

Alan

Shauns4
18-12-2005, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=CK & AK]
But, you cant sell/give on a progammed ecu, without the same coded key with it.

Hi,

So once the ecu is programmed it cannot be re-programmed, if this is the case then the key and locks have to stay with the ECU as you say, is not the other option to disable the ECU immobilser so it can be sold on?

Shaun

CK & AK
18-12-2005, 04:39 PM
So once the ecu is programmed it cannot be re-programmed

Correct

if this is the case then the keys have to stay with the ECU as you say, is not the other option to disable the ECU immobilser so it can be sold on?

Shaun

Never heard of them being disabled, tho no doubt a dealer like JHP will confirm yea/nay

Fosse Foxfight
19-12-2005, 09:02 AM
every now and again I need some reinforcemnt why I stay with a carburated machine...............thanks everybody for that!! :rolleyes:

ta ra

Shauns4
19-12-2005, 06:55 PM
similar reason to why i stick with my old rover diesel, totally mechanical and doesn't need electronics!

bod
19-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Mechanical means unreliable -Electronic means reliable (untill it goes wrong and costs you a fortune) :rolleyes:

Ain't technology good!

Bring back carbs/points and condesers :lol:

Fosse Foxfight
20-12-2005, 12:37 AM
Mechanical means unreliable -Electronic means reliable

Bod dude.......who on earth told you this?

ta ra