PDA

View Full Version : cheap crank breather

stef
14-12-2005, 04:13 PM
I have just fitted a small crank breather to the bike.
cam in at £7 + 2.5 p&p from ebay.
a small amount compare to what the dedicated kit usually goes for.
it's branded "savage", 25mm. fit very easy:

-remove rubber pipe from expension box to crank case adapter.
-fit filter
-remove exp. case and pipe work.
-all you have to do now is block the hole in the air box, where the pipe used to go in.

just do a search on ebay automotive for breather.

gary tompkins
14-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Stef,

Thanks for the tip off.

I need one of these for the trike as my breather tanks gotta go to make space for other bits - sorted ;)

Pedro
14-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Got a pic of how you've done it Stef? Got a K&N to fit to mine and can't make my mind up where to put it

Ped

A Yerbury
14-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Got a pic of how you've done it Stef? Got a K&N to fit to mine and can't make my mind up where to put it

Ped

it has the same dimensions, stick it over the metal outlet, attach it to the hose or stick it up your bum? it could go anywhere.

stef
14-12-2005, 09:17 PM
I'll try to take a pic tomorow, but really, it couldnt be simpler.
the hose just comes off at the crank, and you are left with a piece of plastic that sticks out (that piece use to be in the hose). fit the filter on that bit, and tighten. job done.

Pedro
14-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Okey dokey, cheers Stef.

Actually don't want to mount it on the crankcase breather body so I was looking for ideas

Ped

bod
15-12-2005, 10:09 AM
What are the benefits of this?

Surley the idea of the breater pipe is to recycle spent combustion gasses back into the engine via the airbox.

Our is it just cosmetic :confused:

stef
15-12-2005, 12:18 PM
it is a little more complicated than that. The engine regularly changes profile, in volume, with the pistons going up and down, so the expension chamber is part of the tuned oscillatory system. It's a bit like loading a spring (adding a load onto it), but only in minute part, as most of the load is the actuall piston/mechanics/bike/rider. if you blocked that valve altogether, the engine would still work, but the oil would be under greater pressure. leaving it in the open would possibly be the best, but crap would get in the engine.
i am sure there are loads of calculations to get you the optimum volume of the expension chamber, but we dont care. it's for looks.
this way, you get rid of a lot of plastic piping, and end up with a neat little pod at the back of the engine.

Capo
15-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Ther is also piston blow by to be accounted for.

A Yerbury
15-12-2005, 01:13 PM
....and you dont get engine fumes into the airbox, who would want that?cool fresh air is best as it has a higer 02 content (I doubt this makes any difference on monsters really) but they look really cool too!

stef
15-12-2005, 02:21 PM
some pic.

excuse the jabby state of the rest of the bike.
the loom especially needs attention !

gary tompkins
15-12-2005, 05:53 PM
There's a theory that ditching the breather system also helps to prevent condensation build up in the oil. I hope so as it'll be nice to be able to rid the sight glass of white gunge over winter - time will tell ;)

Pugi
15-12-2005, 06:01 PM
What happens if you pull a wheelie (God forbid - industrial estate etc.) with that thing Stef?

A Yerbury
15-12-2005, 06:49 PM
the paper is already soaked in oil, it shouldn't permeate. (much)

stef
15-12-2005, 07:38 PM
What happens if you pull a wheelie (God forbid - industrial estate etc.) with that thing Stef?

what happens next ?
i'll fall on my @rse, unless i learn how to wheelie first !

gary tompkins
16-12-2005, 07:41 AM

You can mount the breather higher on a longer hose and metal tubing, but that would defeat the object of ditching the original catch tank and rubber hoses. Stuart's S4 got it's airbox & breather full of oil when Dave Wood had it standing on the rear wheel at Mallory last year. He did have it up for a long time though so doubt if it would be a problem normally.

bod
16-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Hmm,winter project coming me thinks then...now its nearly out of warranty.

Been to squires today.... well nearly got to Selby and turned back...must ride with more than a tee shirt under leathers this time of year :eek:

Scotty
16-12-2005, 12:08 PM
you know i almost went out myself today but ive just discovered im 500 miles over service interval :( damm it why does it come round soo quickly

scrumpster
16-12-2005, 08:56 PM
you know i almost went out myself today but ive just discovered im 500 miles over service interval :( damm it why does it come round soo quickly

I went out today :D forgot I had two new tyres and slipped up my road, good reminder, and amazing what two spark plugs can do!!