PDA

View Full Version : Other interests?

bigredduke
10-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Obviously we are all into our Monsters but what other interests do members have? The more bizarre the better! Unfortunately mine are rather prosaic.

I play golf (handicap 12) and mess around with the computer. I also quite like DIY & spending time in the garden.

Dave G
10-12-2005, 04:39 PM
I used to teach people how to shoot black powder muskets. :twisted:

Pugi
10-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Sailing, hunting, film. That's me.

Paranoid Dave
10-12-2005, 04:56 PM
sculpty creatingy type stuff, generally tinkering with something. Fom clay sculptures, resin models, wood carving, bike building. :D

dustybin
10-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Up until this time last year it was football and kickboxing, now it's gardening and trying to hide from my three sons so I can get some sleep! God I'm getting old.

scrapps
10-12-2005, 05:01 PM
white water rafting, sailing(not for a while now..) bungee jumping .and any sport with a buzz... just started karate with my son but not sure i like the being hit bit???? :(

Paranoid Dave
10-12-2005, 05:01 PM
hey dusty, bishops stortford is within playing distance, once the sun comes out again keep an eye on the suffolk threads as we bunch up norfolk, suffolk, essex in one as there's not many of us.

Hijack over so back to golf and tv.

dustybin
10-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Definately. I've got family up in Great Yarmouth so I hope to be up an down there quite a lot anyway. it would be good to meet up.

nik_the_brief
10-12-2005, 06:20 PM
white water rafting, sailing(not for a while now..) bungee jumping .and any sport with a buzz... just started karate with my son but not sure i like the being hit bit???? :(

The secret's not to get hit matey!

I practice taekwondo, spend a lot of time down the gym and play too much Call of Duty 2 online. Oh and a bit of climbing, indoor walls - mainly bouldering at the moment as I never have the time to get out and catch up with my brother who also climbs. We keep planning to get it together to meet up near Tunbridge Wells for a bit of Southern Sandstone but we never quite get that organised.

I also spend a lot of time chasing round after my kids and pleasuring my wife (by that I mean I let her on the PC to go shopping on eBay!)

CK & AK
10-12-2005, 06:21 PM
CK: Equestrianism, biking (of course!) reading, DD race team owner :D not a lot of time left for anything else... ex drummer/singer in band in 79 - 81 :cool: and also ex 'delivery' person for equines - even to the Falklands! :eek:

AK: Ex drag racing owner/mech (door slammers) now owner & mech to own race team :twisted: bike fettling in evenings & w/ends (own or others) no spare time, except for trackday addictions... :D

:burnout:

Paranoid Dave
10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
i should have added gaining weight, getting bored, eating and being lazy to my list :D

Dusty, we head to the coast quite a bit and Nonnie has just moved south of norwich so will be up that way quite a bit next year.

Didge
10-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Shagging, prolonged farting, music, riding me bike, and being used as a moving target by f*cking blind drivers.

i should have added gaining weight, getting bored, eating and being lazy to my list :D

Hello Fatty!!! :twisted:

bigredduke
10-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Shagging, prolonged farting, music, riding me bike, and being used as a moving target by f*cking blind drivers.
Hello Fatty!!! :twisted:

All at the same time?

Didge
10-12-2005, 08:24 PM
All at the same time?

Not usually, but it MIGHT happen!

spacemonkey
10-12-2005, 08:26 PM
I'm into shooting things. Anything will do...

w108rna
11-12-2005, 12:16 AM
I make furniture. My latest project was a seat made from the Bench seat of an XJ6 Jaguar. Its Black leather with Black metal frame which i welded myself. It heavy but looks quite cool.

manwithredbike
11-12-2005, 12:26 AM
i snorkell and potter around the west coast of donegal for about 8 months of the year. i drink guiness the other 5. this is one of the five

steviej
11-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Travelling to far fung places, scuba diving (only warm water none of that cold water ****e) hill walking/treking, playing guitar badly and red wine guzzling

South East Asia anybody????? :p

Mand
11-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Flying my kite :) and walking my dog.

I like cooking too.

Kitty.75
11-12-2005, 04:24 PM
I practice Shotokan Karate, have been back at training now for 1 1/2 yrs after quitting for about 4 yrs!! I am currently a 2 kyu Brown & White belt so only 1 more belt to go before I go for the Big one!!! But that is still at least another year & half of training before I'm invited to grade! :eek:

Kitty xxx

sjr999r
11-12-2005, 05:06 PM
I work at night,for Royal Mail as a driver and no am not a MANPOWER driver........am employed by the Queens Mail.
Other than ducati's..dont do that much.....am in the middle of my cafe racer project.....dont know if anyone seen the threads going round...(hope all havein a good laff reading them!) hopefully that be cool,when its finished,.My dad got my into Karting.......we brought a kart 'senior max' 125cc 2 stroke 90mph on your bum...so that be good...........more a father/son bonding thing,films,music....watching live music,band i used to roadie for, i still support them locally,other that bit of a lazy git.....but newyear will be down the gym and start mountainbiking cos i want a flat stomach and be fit!! ;)

Mrs Soup
12-12-2005, 12:44 PM
I have an allottment..... but when it gets dark I become groupie to a Rock God. :D

Also been known to play pit lane dolly at historic race meetings.

Spike
12-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Kitty 75 I know what you mean don't you just love it if you are up to spec they might invite you to grade, other things include scuba including cold water ****e and free fall parachute in the past.

A Yerbury
12-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I free fall parachute in the past too, the Byzantine era and middle ages being my favourites. I do all kinds of things, some dull, some life threatening but nothing as a hobby really as I have a very short atten.....

bigredduke
12-12-2005, 03:20 PM
I free fall parachute in the past too, the Byzantine era and middle ages being my favourites. I do all kinds of things, some dull, some life threatening but nothing as a hobby really as I have a very short atten.....

I'm in my middle ages (ludicrous term - as if I'm going to see 94!) and it's definitely not my favourite!

Although thinking about it....., if I wasn't middle-aged I couldn't afford my Monster. Hmmm, bit of a paradox that.

SAMMYE
12-12-2005, 03:29 PM
I do Judo, Muay Thai, Shootbox (form of MMA) and play football on Saturday Afternoons. I like Rugby and watch it when I can. Apart from Watching UFC, Pride (other Mixed Martial Arts events) and boxing, I like most sports.

NattyBoy
12-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Apart from the normal beer consumption with mates/watching bike racing/keeping the clampets fed and watered and taking them out, im also a bit of an evel knievel enthusiast and collect all the old '70s toys..you remember..the old wind up jobbers.. :D

Kitty.75
12-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Kitty 75 I know what you mean don't you just love it if you are up to spec they might invite you to grade, other things include scuba including cold water ****e and free fall parachute in the past.

Yeah!! They MIGHT invite me to grade :confused: Like I say, Only another year & half to show that i am 100% committed & know my stuff!! I'm ok with the physical side of training, its when you have to start learning all the history & meaning of karate that confuses me, not being very good at remembering things really does'nt help :confused:

Now I've forgotten why I'm here!!!! :lol:

Kitty xx

nik_the_brief
12-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Yeah!! They MIGHT invite me to grade :confused: Like I say, Only another year & half to show that i am 100% committed & know my stuff!! I'm ok with the physical side of training, its when you have to start learning all the history & meaning of karate that confuses me, not being very good at remembering things really does'nt help :confused:

Now I've forgotten why I'm here!!!! :lol:

Kitty xx

That's Shotokan for you!

A lot of people would say that all that side of stuff is rather, er, unnecessary to prove your abilities at any chosen martial art.

I know of another TKD club which requires all prospective Dan grades to have run a Marathon! Why? If I'd wanted to have taken up running I'd have joined the local Harriers.

When I did my 1st Dan in TKD it was all down to technical merit and attitude/approach. I'm not sure that learning one particular schools view of the history and interpretation of karate - particularly bearing in mind how much petty internal politics these schools generate - is of any use at all.

Not that I'm knocking your chosen art at all - honest Kitty. Good luck to you.

spacemonkey
12-12-2005, 07:29 PM
I agree with Nick_in_Brief's statement. The true origins of Karate was for the Okinawans to fight back against their Japanese oppressors once they had been forbidden to have weapons. This also spawned the use of rice flails (nunchuku) and sickles (kama) as weapons along with other everyday peasants tools. You can dress it up with a whole world of fancy stories, but that's what it boils down to.
Another thing is that what they teach as karate in Japan is a whole world away form the watered down version we have here. I had a friend from Nagoya about 7 years ago, and he was more or less the top student in his dojo, where he studied karate, although i don't know which flavour. His party trick was to fully blindfold him and throw punches at him as fast as you could. He would catch them with his hand every single time. Mindblowing stuff...

Anyway, well done and keep it up! You'll get there eventually.

Gilps
13-12-2005, 07:10 AM
Clay pidgeon shooting, skiing, walking the dogs, ju jitsu, watching Casualty and Holby City, and travelling to far flung places.

MilesB
13-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Alex, you forgot 'changing your Avatar' :D ... isn't it about due? ;)

Miles

A Yerbury
13-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Alex, you forgot 'changing your Avatar' :D ... isn't it about due? ;)

Miles

and you forgot "pointing out to Alex that he changes his avatar" ...with me it's more obsession than hobby?

Melnie Mouse
13-12-2005, 11:22 AM
I like star gazing as well as motorbiking... Venus and mars are out at the moment, looking very bright indeed.

I help out at the planetarium in chichester in my spare time..

Walking and cycling off road too is fun...

Lots of things people do it's nice to hear, all very exciting things everyone else does....

stef
13-12-2005, 11:39 AM
i am into my boxing, coz at least you can chew people ears off, punch them down bellow, headbutt them, and you dont have to take you shoes off, and wear pyjamas ! no nonsense.
apart from that, i am into my art, my single malt, my f**cking job, my bike and my new kid.