PDA

View Full Version : toolkit???????

S4Rs-Tone
10-12-2005, 10:06 AM
i have just noticed my 3 month old s2r doesnt have a toolkit, should it have 1 ????

slob
10-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Possibly not, RJC's S4R came without one... maybe to force you to a dealer, even for silly jobs like chain adjustment. Look for a 748/916/996/998 toolkit on eBay. Try emailing this guy, it looks right but doesn't state model http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-Genuine-Toolkit-Ducati-Accessories_W0QQitemZ8019755048QQcategoryZ10448QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bigredduke
10-12-2005, 03:31 PM
I got one with my 11 month old S4R but it's pretty basic with no chain adjuster. fortunately, the previous owner had got one made & kindly gave it to me.

NattyBoy
10-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Yes it should..but as the guys say..it is a 'toolkit' in the loosest sense of the word !! Be aware the 916 one wont fit under the seat..

Nat

Gilps
10-12-2005, 04:17 PM
It should have a toolkit, if you can call it that. It sits under the seat inside that box thingy with the screw/bolt to keep it shut. It's a little red plastic Ducati pouch with a screw driver and, er, and, er, I think thats it. Oh no I forgot. You get a plug spanner too for your money.
The handbook advises going back to the dealer to get your chain adjusted. This was explained to me by the mechanic at my 600 mile service as being because there is a danger that if an untrained unqualified numpty, also known as member of the public, were to attempt such a complex task, they would get it wrong. Its because of the pinch bolts that secure the single sided swing arm. If you overtighten them then you cause big/expensive problems.
He showed me how to do it without a torque wrench, so all I needed was a c-spanner to fit the back end. Got mine from the US via ebay but I have seen other threads on here which recommend getting a 916 tookit as that fits also. I think that the Triumph single sider is the same fit. A bit of a bugger coz I only found this out after I sold my Triumph to buy the Ducati.

Shauns4
10-12-2005, 07:55 PM
You get a plug spanner too for your money.
The handbook advises going back to the dealer to get your chain adjusted.

I can't or don't want to beleive chain adjustment should be carried out by a dealer, a numpty is probably more likely to strip or cross thread the plug threads so there is no logic here! The bike should be designed for routine maintanance to be carried out by the owner.

Seems Ducati will find anyway they can to make money on servicing!

yes the tool kit is crap on most Ducatis buts thats probably due to there is no space to store a reasonable tool kit.

gary tompkins
11-12-2005, 11:40 AM
If it's anything like the kit on my 900 (and this one looks the same) then it's a joke. The box spanner in my kit isn't even the right size for the plugs - oh how I laughed :rolleyes:

My other halfs CG125, and most jap bikes I've owned had a better kit than that. I guess the factory expect us all to trot along to a dealer for all but most basic day to day spannering. Although TBH if you plan on DIY servicing you should invest in quality spanners, sockets sets etc.. anyway?

A dealer may charge silly money for one, but there is this one on ebay if your interested?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-Monster-S4R-S2R-M-1000-S4-Werkzeug-Set-original_W0QQitemZ8019560050QQcategoryZ25644QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem