PDA

View Full Version : chrome tank update

stef
08-12-2005, 09:22 AM
well, i just got a phone call from silchrome. they have stripped the tank down, and it revealed some filler and welding. So chroming that tank is not an option anymore.
balls.
i am looking into a couple of alternatives, before i start thinking about a colour paint.
I feel very limited in colour options though, with a black frame and black engine, it could be a struggle to make a colour work. black tank is an option, or possibly a red.

A Yerbury
08-12-2005, 09:34 AM
AU CONTRAIRE! WITH BLACK FRAME AND engine you have a much wider palette? visit a paint shop and look through some swatches. Are you no longer going for chrome and carbon then?

A Yerbury
08-12-2005, 09:49 AM
In hindsight I believe that the standard tank is in fact two pieces welded down the centre? I am sure I have heard that somewhere from someone? apologies, I should have mentioned that. Although I am sure there are some near to chrome paint finishes out there?

stef
08-12-2005, 10:05 AM
oh well, no harm done.
that explain the silchrome man saying there was a big weld on the tank.
i'll pick it up on monday, and see what it is like.

but really, really not sure about colours. a near chrome finish paint ? i'd have to look into that. it could look really good, or look cac.
it's going to be brain crunching time. one of my chrome option disapeared: the £300 ebay chrome tank is for an injected model. just one left for a rr tank which i am not sure i like, because of the "aftermarket" feel of it and it looks like it doesnt really fit on the bike, especially near the seat, IMO.
looks like paint then.

A Yerbury
08-12-2005, 10:21 AM
just spoke to my local paint chappie who confirmed that there is a company who do chrome finishes, he doesnt have the machine but it is basically a chrome powdercoat paint machine thingy? his pc is down but he has their details with pics and an email address, ring steve at the plastics surgery on 01684 569000, he is digging out the info for you (as they say)

stef
08-12-2005, 10:53 AM
cool stuff !
i'll give him a call !

stef
08-12-2005, 10:58 AM
I just spoke to Steve, he is sending me the info when he's dug it out.

A Yerbury
08-12-2005, 11:13 AM
happy to help, I hope that has rasied your spirits.
A.x

Fosse Foxfight
08-12-2005, 11:30 AM
oh well, no harm done.
that explain the silchrome man saying there was a big weld on the tank.
i'll pick it up on monday, and see what it is like.

but really, really not sure about colours. a near chrome finish paint ? i'd have to look into that. it could look really good, or look cac.
it's going to be brain crunching time. one of my chrome option disapeared: the £300 ebay chrome tank is for an injected model. just one left for a rr tank which i am not sure i like, because of the "aftermarket" feel of it and it looks like it doesnt really fit on the bike, especially near the seat, IMO.
looks like paint then.
What did I say some weeks ago Stef.,....and what twat didnt listen? :rolleyes:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=14176

I..............

ta flippin ra

Fosse Foxfight
08-12-2005, 11:32 AM
In hindsight I believe that the standard tank is in fact two pieces welded down the centre? I am sure I have heard that somewhere from someone? apologies, I should have mentioned that. Although I am sure there are some near to chrome paint finishes out there?
Hmmmm, I see you do listen sometimes, the filler is there to smothe the weld area....and it is removable, something Stef will need to do to get a good finish from powder coat as well.

ta flippin ra

Fosse Foxfight
08-12-2005, 11:33 AM
happy to help, I hope that has rasied your spirits.
A.x
my mate Steve, blah blah blah, fancy finishes blah blah blah

CK & AK
08-12-2005, 11:36 AM
..... I am sure there are some near to chrome paint finishes out there?

yup.

Andy at Pitstop Paint does the 'anocoating' which gives a fantastic finish in most colours as well as 'mirror'. Used a lot in the states :)

Linky as before

http://pages.eidosnet.co.uk/pitstopmotorcycle/index.html

A Yerbury
08-12-2005, 11:55 AM
my mate Steve, blah blah blah, fancy finishes blah blah blah

just a bit of ironic nepotism for you darling.

A.x

stef
08-12-2005, 12:26 PM
What did I say some weeks ago Stef.,....and what twat didnt listen? :rolleyes:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=14176

I..............

ta flippin ra

it was no big-deal, i had the paint stripped professionally, at the chrome plating place, so the whole experience cost me a wapping £15 squids. so regarless of the next step, i would have had to do this anyway, as the one currently on was just 100% sick.
beside, i know best, i never listen to anyone, because that's just a waste of time. and i also contradict people for fun !

ok, i should have listened, but you never know, all tanks may not be equal ?

back to the drawing board.

barnaby
08-12-2005, 01:13 PM
There is a metal paint. It is actually metal that you spray on and forms a real metal coating. It comes in lots of different types and various tinted chromes. We have used it on some bits for the Royal Ontario Museum.

I can't remember the name of it for now, but will try and dig out a name and some UK suppliers.

I will get back to you soon.

crust
08-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Looks very much like highly polished ally

http://www.aerocoat.net/EnterTitleaerocoatchromax.htm

:) Crust

stef
10-12-2005, 01:26 PM
This is the tank, now completely stripped.
looking rather naked. i like. i might just lacquer it as it is, a la madmax.

Fosse Foxfight
10-12-2005, 04:50 PM
This is the tank, now completely stripped.
looking rather naked. i like. i might just lacquer it as it is, a la madmax.
Is that rather a hefty dimple there Stef?....ok, not dimple...big fook off dent?

Sean

stef
11-12-2005, 11:05 AM
it doesnt look too bad, i have seen worse. half the size of a fiver., about 1cm deep. will need filling again though. It probably was punctured too, i can see a lump of welding in the dent.
i have put on top of the bike as it is.. i like it. metal colour looks pretty good.
anyone know how i could keep this feel with paint ?

Danny
12-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Is this any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chromtank-fuer-Ducati-Monster_W0QQitemZ8022134546QQcategoryZ49914QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

stef
12-12-2005, 10:38 AM
well spotted.
looks shabby somehow ??
thank, but it looks like i am sorted., i am going to have it part chromed and the dent repaired/painted over, for the decals to sit on.

DesmoDog
12-12-2005, 11:46 AM
This is the stuff that one of our american pals had his sping done with isn't it? The smoked chrome looked fantastic (IMO) and this could well be the way forward for my somewhat shabby wheels. And yes, I know about wheels and powder coat.

Fosse Foxfight
12-12-2005, 12:45 PM
And yes, I know about wheels and powder coat.
What about wheels and powder coat? :confused: