PDA

View Full Version : Tank

barnaby
05-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Anyone got a tank for my Monster in dark?
Pretty please?

sjr999r
05-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Gloss black or Matt black.........Carb or injection????????????
I have a gloss black one going,carb.

barnaby
05-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Oh yeah,
Matt black, carbed.
Sorry about that, unless...
is the matt black a rock hard colour to respray?

JMo
05-12-2005, 06:36 PM
is the matt black a rock hard colour to respray?

I believe Halfords satin black is a pretty near as damn it match for the Dark black - Julie did her seat cowl and you can't tell the difference...

xxx

Larraine Bamford
06-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Have sent you a pm

barnaby
06-12-2005, 10:59 AM
If I was to buy a non matt black tank and spray it,
can I buy the 'Ducati' stickers from anywhere?
Also would I be able to buy the right paint from Ducati or is the Halfords stuff good enough for a whole tank?
Fanx

A Yerbury
06-12-2005, 11:09 AM
personally I would get it done matt black properly (ducati dont sell the paint either) a plastic cowl is one thing but 2 cans of halfords matt black over a glossy metal tank? sounds like a horrorshow in an orphanage in hell about to happen. matt blacks are not lacquered so you need a good sticky paint such as 2pack not cellulose....I would think... It could be done but the slightest amateur moment would leave it truly f ucked and in need of a proper respray.

AY.
ps.the good news is that decals are available everywhere (not literally)

barnaby
06-12-2005, 12:27 PM
personally I would get it done matt black properly (ducati dont sell the paint either) a plastic cowl is one thing but 2 cans of halfords matt black over a glossy metal tank? sounds like a horrorshow in an orphanage in hell about to happen.

So does anybody know where I can get it done properly in the Midlands / Leicester preferably?

Fosse Foxfight
06-12-2005, 12:29 PM
personally I would get it done matt black properly (ducati dont sell the paint either) a plastic cowl is one thing but 2 cans of halfords matt black over a glossy metal tank? sounds like a horrorshow in an orphanage in hell about to happen. matt blacks are not lacquered so you need a good sticky paint such as 2pack not cellulose....I would think... It could be done but the slightest amateur moment would leave it truly f ucked and in need of a proper respray.

AY.
ps.the good news is that decals are available everywhere (not literally)
Listen to the man, more tanks than I can count have been fooked by cans of spray. There is a very good range that I have used on guitars called Jet Spray, but the contours on the Monster tank will show any fook up and I'll almost guarantee that unless you spray it in about 12 stages you'll get a run....so DONT do it!!!!!!!!

ta ra

Fosse Foxfight
06-12-2005, 12:30 PM
So does anybody know where I can get it done properly in the Midlands / Leicester preferably?
As it happens, probably yes.
Let me have a ring round. I think someone in Leiecster Forest East may be able to do it.

Sean

A Yerbury
06-12-2005, 12:38 PM
if you haven't bought it yet I would hold out for a dark tank, a respray bloke I once dealt with told me that the Dark was a tricky one given the finish, he may have been talking cobblers though. ring around the breakers and keep an eye on ebay, or buy a red one and respray your fender and cowl?! hey prersto! a proper colour as opposed to dark which is basically an unpainted one.

CK & AK
06-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Pitstoppaint is in Willenhall, if thats any help? Not cheap, but a very pukka job

Done lots of bikes, he's got our 2 monsters tanks, fairings & plastics etc, for full makeover before next race season starts

http://pages.eidosnet.co.uk/pitstopmotorcycle/page8.html

speak to Andy - say Charlotte said to call :)

JMo
06-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Fosse is right - my tank went back to Dream Machine (opps, did I write that out in full?) seven sodding times because they kept bu*gering up the finish - bubbles, laquer, rippled tank stickers etc. etc. etc. and they reckon they are the best?

CK's recommendation would be a good one in the Midlands, and as Berbs says, why not take the opportunity to go cwazy with colour - dude?

xxx

Pugi
06-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Pitstoppaint is in Willenhall, if thats any help? Not cheap, but a very pukka job

Is it also they who custom painted your very customised 900?

barnaby
06-12-2005, 03:41 PM
CK's recommendation would be a good one in the Midlands, and as Berbs says, why not take the opportunity to go cwazy with colour - dude?

My frame is yellow with yellow wheels, so red (IMZZZZZZO) is out! Maybe a silver or all yellow? or not!

A Yerbury
06-12-2005, 03:47 PM
My frame is yellow with yellow wheels, so red (IMZZZZZZO) is out! Maybe a silver or all yellow? or not!

oh dear! paint the frame and wheels quick!!

CK & AK
06-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Is it also they who custom painted your very customised 900?

Andy certainly did do all the paint work (apart from the engine, which AK did) on AK's tri-colour :cool:
Andy has also done a lovely jub of polishing, then painting the spokes & centres with fadeout on my bruvs s'triple too :D

Julie
07-12-2005, 07:34 AM

Try this place They did Jasons Monster and his Brutale, they're on 0115 944 7666 ask for Les. MRS in Ilkeston
They did a fantastic job on both of his bikes real top job.

Fosse Foxfight
07-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Fosse is right - my tank went back to Dream Machine (opps, did I write that out in full?) seven sodding times because they kept bu*gering up the finish - bubbles, laquer, rippled tank stickers etc. etc. etc. and they reckon they are the best?
xxx
Dream Machine were the best at one time, when practically p*ss all people could spray paint well, apart from the odd pro in obscure body shops up and down the country. But like most businesses once they get a name they develop "arrogance" and let any old crap out of their shop, and expect you to be grateful cause you can say it was painted by the Dreamers.....I giggle my arse off when I see bikes advertised, that proudly announce..."custom paint by Dream Machine" :rolleyes: ...oooooh, theres one to avoid then

ta ra