PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to clip ons

Dave G
01-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Found this on the american monster site and started me thinking,it seems a decent compromise to full clip ons with minimal work to fit.
Has anyone tried a similar set up?,and what were the results?
The bars pictured were made for an sv650,and the only modifications needed were drilling small holes for the locator pegs on the switchgear.
This ,I think, is interesting where people are using parts made for other marques and models as it opens up the options (usually cheaper too) and can get some interesting and unusual looking bits to bolt on.
I recently aquired a racing nosecone for the minitwins series sv650,which reminds me of the front of the ducati GP bikes,one day when I dont seem to be infested with kids I intend to fit small lights to it,hopefully giving me a one off look that I cant buy anywhere.

Albie
01-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Look good to me. Brings back memories of my Fs1e when I put those type of bars on it. nearly 30 years ago. :eek: I wish my s4 had normal mounts :( :( :D

Pedro
01-12-2005, 12:08 PM
They look similar to Jota bars which you can buy from Dusters for about £60 I think. The Jota bars are adjustable at each change of direction/joint

Have a look here:-

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=RAAJB

Ped

Paranoid Dave
01-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Ooh I like them a lot, something different is always to be congratulated and they are different, not new but different. There is a certain buell i know well that has a similar pricipal, it allows the bars to be in the position of clip ons but without having the fork clamps.
I think if the inner part was a U shape and not so angled it would look even better. ?

Pugi
01-12-2005, 02:57 PM
I think if the inner part was a U shape and not so angled it would look even better. ?

Agreed.

Still looks like a good alternative for those who can't make their mind up on which bars they like the best.

crust
01-12-2005, 07:34 PM
They used to be called 'Ace Bars'

Pride and Clarke had them in a variety of styles.

A particular favourite of L J K Setrights.

That should get the rest of the old gits dribbling on, my work here is done. ;)

:) Crust

gary tompkins
01-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Look a lot like Ace bars to me too. Nothing new about them - they were a 'must have' bit of kit for Ton Up boys in the 60's & AP50 & Fizzy sports moped nuttas in the late 70's. Bung a set of Ace bars on and hook your feet over the rear indicators - hey presto another 5 mph flat out :D