PDA

View Full Version : Fuel light on all the time?!?

barnaby
30-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Since the cold and the snow, my fuel light has been on all the time, even straight after filling up! :confused:
I had my fuel tank up the othe day, could I have disconnected some wires by accident or will the cold have done something weird to it?

Heyelp!
Thank you

Scotty
30-11-2005, 08:53 AM
sounds like a short to make the light come on
maybe the fuel level sensor is bust

if you disconnect the sensor from the bottom of the tank
the light should go off
if you then short the right connectors on the connector the light should come back on

you could try cleaning the sensor

but ive no idea how they look like majik rattely tubes to me ~:?

barnaby
30-11-2005, 08:55 AM
if you disconnect the sensor from the bottom of the tank
the light should go off
if you then short the right connectors on the connector the light should come back on ~:?

Are these the two wires hanging down from the tank?

manwithredbike
30-11-2005, 09:02 AM
mine went dodgy a few months ago. had to buy a new one. about #40

Shandy
30-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Are these the two wires hanging down from the tank?

Yes they are, there are two wires out from the sensor under the tank to a plug connection where the sensor connects to the wiring loom, you'll see it with the tank lifted up.

nik_the_brief
30-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Yes they are, there are two wires out from the sensor under the tank to a plug connection where the sensor connects to the wiring loom, you'll see it with the tank lifted up.

Or if it's like mine and you took the tank off in a state of high dudgeon (whilst swearing at your bike) and you forgot to disconnect the plug connection first - it'll be the two dangly wires not connected to anything...

Shandy
30-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Or if it's like mine and you took the tank off in a state of high dudgeon (whilst swearing at your bike) and you forgot to disconnect the plug connection first - it'll be the two dangly wires not connected to anything...

That beats fiddling around trying to get the plug undone.....

nik_the_brief
30-11-2005, 09:23 AM
That beats fiddling around trying to get the plug undone.....

True but you do have to remember to reset the tripometer to 000 whenever you fill up with fuel!

gary tompkins
30-11-2005, 01:48 PM
True but you do have to remember to reset the tripometer to 000 whenever you fill up with fuel!

Nik,

I still do this every time I fill up - even with a fuel warning light. A routine from the days when all my bikes still had a reserve tap, as it was handy to know when I needed to fumble for the tap. A couple were a bit like an on/off switch when they hit reserve, and also had a habit of running dry in the outside lane of the A2 on my commute home. Sometimes got a bit hairy:eek: