PDA

View Full Version : softfaced rockers

mick smith
29-11-2005, 06:18 PM
:( Hi people,I am considering the purchase of a 2002 s4 with 10k recorded.But the comments about rocker problems in your forum,have got me worried!!
I previously owned a 900 super light,(carb icing was a nightmare)and a st2 nice but bland.
The Monster really does "look" the part,but if I part with a lot of my well earned I don,t want to be saving up for costly engine repairs.Ive got that senario with my T160 :(

Scotty
29-11-2005, 08:54 PM
errm thers always horror stories , do you feel lucky , and all that

mine is doing fine zero rocker problems but im only on 20k miles

NBs
29-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Maybe you don't need to be worried about this Mick.
It's been a common problem with the chrome plating flaking from rockers - I should know, I had 11 of 'em fail on my 996 at nearly £100 each - but Ducati recognised there was a quality issue and addressed it with a better plating.

Thing is tho, I'm not sure when this was addressed! So if it's a big concern to you then find out when the plating process was changed and make your decision from there.

I've been playing on a 2002 m620, just over 10k on the clock and the rockers look fine. Maybe they're the new type or maybe they've just been treated right, I dunno!

n

Rockhopper
01-12-2005, 11:13 AM
The two valve bikes like the 620, 600 and 900 don't suffer. All the four valve engines with the exception of the latest testastretta engines suffer to a greater or lesser extent. The only way to tell is to take the cam shafts out then remove and inspect each of the 16 rockers individually. Openers fail a lot more often than closers and if you dont spot it early enough the cam shaft can be damaged as well. So rockers at around £100 each and cam shafts (four of) at £200 each. So absolute worst case would be £2400 for parts alone!! I know several people who had to replace more than eight rockers so it does happen. My own ST4 (same engine at the S4) has had three rockers (at 15,000 miles).
Also dont forget that removing the cams to check for rocker wear isnt listed in the official Ducati service schedule so a bike with "full Ducati service history" may never have actually had the rockers checked.

I would say that if you are buying a bike then you need to keep at least £1000 to one side for a full service and possibly a few rockers then when it does happen it won't be such a supprise.

CK & AK
01-12-2005, 11:32 AM
The two valve bikes like the 620, 600 and 900 don't suffer.

errr... Paul, I hate to correct you mate, but they can occasionally suffer.

The 2001 M600 we have, had to have two replaced last Jan when Alan pulled the engine down before we rebuilt her as a race bike.
It might have been assisited in the fact that she hadnt had a service since the 600 miler done 3 weeks after she was sold new, but we'll never know.
Hence, Alan always allows time to check ours over thoroughly now every winter.

C :)

Rockhopper
01-12-2005, 11:44 AM
As soon as i saw you had posted i remembered that you'd had a problem! Its much less common on the two valve bikes though

CK & AK
01-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Definately - very rare.

Not heard of often on the S4's much either to be fair.

NattyBoy
01-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Go for it Mick...my 748 has hardly any service history with its previous owner, has done 28000 miles and needed no rockers when it was pulled apart recently..if you do get one just make sure that you leave the bike on tickover for a while so the oil can circulate correctly (and to the rockers)

Good luck

Nat

mick smith
01-12-2005, 06:47 PM
thanks guys for your comments, I,ll consider the options and if I go ahead I,ll let you know how it goes.In the meantime its probably wise to keep away from the dealer as I can easily be persuaded.
Be lucky

Shauns4
06-12-2005, 05:46 PM
just had to replace 2 rockers on my S4 at 8000 miles, cost me £100 for 2 recon items from Ducati Karma.

I wouldn't let it put you off as the engine characteristics outweigh potential problems which don't seem to affect all S4s, we also have an M1000 Sei which I can tell you is well worth consideration!

Shaun