PDA

View Full Version : restrictor kit

ricky
28-11-2005, 06:15 PM
as i'll (hopefully) pass my test soon and will have to restrict my monster (m620ie), :mad: i know its a shame but has to be done, were can i get the kits from and will they cause any damage to my bike? But as its brand new im thinkin it will keep me from wrecking the engine while it gets run in, am i right? :confused:

Gilps
28-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Don't know about Ducati but the Jap manufacturers supply restrictor kits FOC if the bike is bought new from a main dealer. My wife bought a Honda Hornet last year and got the kit fitted for free. Its quite an expensive job on the hornet as they fit a new ECU and new keys because the immobiliser chip in the key is mated to the ECU. Very sophisitcated.
When I bought my S2r the dealer had a similar bike in that had been restricted. He told me it was restricted at the factory. He reckoned that all they had done was to fit a screw in the throttle grip somewhere to prevent the throttle opening all the way! Not quite as sophisticated as Honda but if it works then maybe simple is best.
I would speak to the dealer. They should be able to help.

paul620sie
29-11-2005, 05:16 AM
My 2003 Monster 620 had a restrictor kit fitted from new by the dealer (at addtional cost, £200 according to the receipt).

It consisted of three items; a throttle stop to prevent them open more than (approx) half way and two large "washers", one for each inlet tract between the air box and cylinder head to restrict the air flow. There was also a certificate to prove the kit was fitted to the bike.

I removed the washers and loosened off the throttle stop to release the engines full potential. (i think still have the washer and the certificate if you want them).

Running restricted was OK (could reach an indicated 85mph) but it was much more fun when the kit was removed.