PDA

View Full Version : Monster S4 - Help!!!

Bike magazine
28-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. My name is Luke Brackenbury and I work for Bike magazine. For our February issue we are publishing a Buyer's Guide on the awesome Ducati Monster S4.

Aside from speaking to dealers, traders and owners I know about the bike, I would like it if the good folk from this website can dispense some of their knowlege on the S4.

I'm looking to find out the sort of things that go wrong with them, what to check for when viewing with the potential of buying one, what simple mods work well and anyhting else you may think is worthwhile.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Luke Brackenbury
Bike magazine

luke.brackenbury@emap.com

carr01
28-11-2005, 03:47 PM
The only real problem I have experienced with my S4 is with starting. But this was rectified at the dealers, the mixture was left too weak after I had new termignonis, e.c.u and open air filter fitted. Some complain of poor paint work to the engine casings, but I think it's only minor compaired to the joy of ownership. It's also very easy to customise your bike with web sites like spare shack and of course this one.
keep up the good work,
Anthony.

Bike magazine
28-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks for your help Anthony.

Luke

Mr C
28-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Only problem ive had with mine is a leaking fuel tank caused where the hinge is welded to the tank, but that can happend to any Monster not just the S4. Full service history is paramount, then check all the usual things as you would any bike. Mine is a 2001 Y and has just clocked 10000 miles. Ive only had it since June and done 3000 myself. Its never missed a beat and been a hoot to ride. Performance Mods inc Termi's Powercomander K&N Filter and open airbox, feels alot more power through out the rev range and of couse sounds awesome.
Mine is wearing very well and the engine paint has stayed on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/pclensey/DSC09166.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/pclensey/DSC09165.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/pclensey/DSC09164.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/pclensey/DSC09163.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/pclensey/DSC09160.jpg

NattyBoy
28-11-2005, 05:31 PM
You should get plenty of advice here Luke...I understand another common problem that afflicts S4's is a leaky rear base gasket..

Cheers
Nat

A Yerbury
28-11-2005, 05:45 PM
s4 owners do receive some gentle ribbing (which on reflection sounds quite appealing?) from the air cooled boys, remarks involving washing machines...that kind of thing.

hope that helps.

Alex.

ps.from new servicing is not cheap but given that this is presumably a 2nd hand buyers guide possibly not that applicable?

Gilps
28-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. My name is Luke Brackenbury and I work for Bike magazine. For our February issue we are publishing a Buyer's Guide on the awesome Ducati Monster S4.

Luke

Are you aware that the Monster is not a Jap sportsbike? In standard form they have less than 150bhp and speeds in excess of 150mph are rare. Are you sure that Bike want to cover it? :lol:

MotoNik
28-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Some of the water-cooled types more technically aware of such matters may be able to confirm or deny; I recall that the early S4's had an issue with plating coming off the rockers??

Aside from that, the usual battery acid ruining the finish on the cases (not necessarily just S4's though), and problms with batteries failing (high compression motor and weedy battery?).

cheers,

Nik

JR
28-11-2005, 08:03 PM
You might also ask about what owners feel is right with the S4 - just to give a balanced view!

I stopped reading bike magazine about 15-20 years ago when your mag started its slide into a rag like the "Sun".

marchesini
28-11-2005, 08:19 PM
I owned one from new and kept it for about 3 years. Used it through a couple of winters and really had no problems with it other than the paint coming off the engine casings - they all do that, sir. Some have managed to get them replaced / repaired under warranty but I personally put it down to my own lack of preparation for the winter months.

The main recommended mod is to change the gearing - can't remember exactly the gear combo but either one off the front (to a 14) or two up on the back (up from a 37 to a 39) worked for me - all without having to replace the chain. My memory may have got the numbers wrong but I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I've told a few mistruths here - whatever the combo is, it makes for a much better town bike.

As with most monsters, a steering damper is also recommended. Either frame mounted (cheaper) or the top mounted jobbies (DP, Arrow or Scott's rotary version) - all of which are expensive. Be aware that due to the clip on arrangement of the S4 (different to all other monsters ever), that no other top-mounted damper will fit (don't ask).

The S4 challenge bikes had radiator protectors but they aren't particularly pretty (neither the rad or the protector) so some buy carbon covers to disguise the bulk a little. Crash protectors were on mine but can't vouch for what exactly they would protect in the event of a smash.

A bigger bore slave cylinder helps with the heavy clutch (but not by much) so get used to it. I used it for town riding and didn't find it a problem but I'm sure it would be an issue for many.

Many S4's also had high pipes fitted for ground clearance and the Ducati sound. I think they released a bit more power but mine were predominantly for looks. The link pipes look like they'll burn the passengers feet but actually isn't an issue at all.

Other stuff (not unique to the S4) are the wobbly screen, poor steering lock, poor passenger comfort, rubbish Michelin Pilots (IMO), the big tailpiece which is often hacksawed off (a big dividing point here) and the poor ground clearance when pushing the bike. The standard cans touch down first, followed by the footpegs and then swiftly followed by your arse as you lever the back wheel off the floor.

It's not the prettiest of the monster range, but if you can get past the radiator and the plumbing, it's a lot of bike for not a lot of cash (especially at this time of year). Lots of fun memories and light years ahead of my previous M900 in performance.

Best regards

simon

JMo
28-11-2005, 11:08 PM
I stopped reading bike magazine about 15-20 years ago when your mag started its slide into a rag like the "Sun".

Hey, give the guy a break - he's logged on to our forum to get some owners opinions about the bike, not to have his bread and butter slagged off... write to their letters page if you don't like their style, but you might be suprised if you read a more recent issue - it's the only mainstream mag that gives any kind of space to anything other that knob-jockey crotch rockets...

xxx

paul620sie
29-11-2005, 05:25 AM
I've puchased Bike for the last 3-4yrs more months than not. It was their tests of various monsters that lead me to buy my 620 in 2003. Many of thier group tests are not sports bike biased, I think the last issue had read ptched a Harley against Speed Triple and two others in the group test.

Come on S4 owners, give Bike a chance and supply some info, good and bad.

One thing I'd say is UKMOC is one of the best (if not the best) web based bike club, a must for any Monster owner.

MotoNik
29-11-2005, 12:15 PM
I don't think we should offer any more help until Mr "Crashenbury" posts some pictures of the Tamburini MV Agusta he crashed, that the magazine wouldn't publish!!!

Nik

Pugi
29-11-2005, 01:09 PM
I don't think we should offer any more help until Mr "Crashenbury" posts some pictures of the Tamburini MV Agusta he crashed, that the magazine wouldn't publish!!!

Nik

He did what? The shame...
Nice bike, but ridiculously priced at 30.000 I recall.

Never the less. If you don't like what the mag has published in the past, the least you can do is help this man out. He is obviously doing proper research on a bike we like. If not willing to tell the world why you ride a monster and love it, stop b!itching about crotch rockets this and that.

And of course...the worlds best owners club is a good reason to mention. :D

claicerrig
29-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Luke Brackenbury
Bike magazine

Thanks for taking the time to ask after our bikes.
Ignore the comments of the Aircooled Brigade :p :p Progress and evolution will leave them behind like the Neanderthals that went before.

I bought my S4 in Dec02 it was an ExMonster Challenge Race Bike and came with a Whole Host of extra`s.That were fitted to help it race and to show the Sceptical (See Above) world that a Water Cooled Monster could co exist in there Range.

I had actually gone to buy a Buell but the deal i was offerd on the Monster was just 2 good to turn down

£6399 otr with 2 yrs full warrenty (437Miles) A shed full of DP extras against £7700 otr for a standard S4 with Zero miles

A lot of these Ex-track Bikes were rendered Down to make a Cheap back to Standard S4 and all the extras went to Ebay :eek: :eek: To make it even better value :cool:

Mine is still nearly in Challange race trim but has been further modified with judicus help of the DP Catalouge Nattyboy and Spareshack :) And there is no point writing any further discriptions cos Marchesini has covered them all and i would just be repeating myself :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Problems i have encounterd with it since purchasing have been

1) A missing front sproket retaining plate
2) A small oil leak from behind the front sprocket
3) A broken clutch spider spring (Bike came fitted with a Dp Slipper Clutch and Race Plates)
4) Lower wiring loom burnt out at side stand switch back :eek:
5) It has had 2 new batteries

All but the batteries have been replaced under the warrenty no hasseles at all

How much more info are you after ?

If you want to know how i feel about it its this

Its the best bike i have ever owned and i have been riding bikes Summer / Winter since since the 1980.In fact i cant think of a good reason to sell it to move up to the S4R cos it does everything i want and more

And this Club is the best bunch of helpfull people you will ever meet AIR OR Water Cooled ;)

crust
29-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey, give the guy a break - he's logged on to our forum to get some owners opinions about the bike, not to have his bread and butter slagged off... write to their letters page if you don't like their style, but you might be suprised if you read a more recent issue - it's the only mainstream mag that gives any kind of space to anything other that knob-jockey crotch rockets...

xxx

Yeah, give him a break, this way, one post on a website and jobs a good'un.

Loads more time down the pub.

:) Crust

must've accidently deleted the the old 'dodgy electrics and expensive services' copy ;)

DevilBoy
30-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Hiya Bike Mag Guy

I have had a few bikes in my short years, including a Bandit 6, Bandit 12 and a 600 Ninja.
I got my 2002 S4 last year, because someone drove past me on a M900 a few months earlier when I was parked up, and I nearly passed out from the amazing sound!

Since buying it (£5k - 800 miles) I have had a few problems, but nothing major. There is a small oil leak in the engine, which apparently ducatis are prone too, the starter solenoid has blown once making it impossible to start, and I had to use a battery booster to start it last winter when I left it alone for a month.

I have made a few mods myself, including more carbon bits, high level cans, higher rearsets and soon a power commander.

I have found the servicing a bit steep (£400 for a full service), but the intervals arent too bad, and you can feel the difference when its al serviced up.

Asside from all this, I bought a monster for its looks (ugly), sound (noisy) and sports bike performance. I can honestly say that I have never ridden a bike that handles as well, and can rip your arms off as easily as this one.
Alot of my mates who have jap sports thingies have ridden it too, and all had permanent grins for at least 24 hours afterwards.

In short, I love this bike. I may buy a newer one in a few years when mine gets a bit old, but I dont think i'll stray far from this range.

And i'm a 24 year old bike hooligan!
Proof that kids these days dont just kill themselves on R6's. I can do it just as easily on a monster!

DesmoS4
30-11-2005, 07:52 PM
OK BIKE guy

Mines a 2001 model

Things that have broken

1 tailight bulb
2 Right hand mirror lens popped out of it's housing at 140+ indicated wondered what the f@ck it was when it hit me on the shoulder and flew off into the distance
3 thats it 4 years 8,000 ish miles 1 bulb 1 mirror
Engine cases are fine on my bike altho paint flaking is a known problem with S4's
no oil leaks , no battery leaks, still on original battery
Servicing for me has been pretty reasonable 'cause my local dealer is an old style Ducati agent I'm paying around £350 for full service inc belts.

On the early models make sure you get the Red master key, without this, if you lose the other keys your looking at a new ignition system and thats gonna hurt

I'm averaging around 50mpg without trying which is good cos the tanks tiny 17ltr's

The famously heavy clutch is not that heavy certainly lighter than my GPZ 900 and tbh i don't notice it even in town

There have been 2 recalls one for petrol lines the other for the clutch slave cylinder

Actually owning it has been great I've ridden most things from hypersports to vfr's and this is the one I've enjoyed most.
I've found it practical enough to commute when I feel like it and comfy enough to do a 1,000 miles on Scottish A roads in a weekend

Hope this helps
Desmo

andy pea
01-12-2005, 03:02 PM
I bought my s4 just over a year ago from Ducati Aylesbury. I wasn't particularly looking for an s4 but a long test ride and a very good part-ex offer on my 900SSie clinched the deal! I'd had 4 lovely years with the 900Ssie but the test ride showed me that the time was right - More comfort, better visibility, more speed and much more refined. Compared to the 900 the s4's 4-valve engine is so much smoother - this could be good or a bad depending on your point of view?

I think my bike has had the ride height adjuster set pretty high - it's much higher than the bike I test rode and steers noticeably quicker, holds a tighter line in the corners and gets a bit frisky accelerating hard on less than smooth roads! - I'm not a fast rider but even I could notice the difference.
I find myself going quite a bit quicker round the leafy Gloucestershire lanes on the s4 than I ever did on the 900SS (and I can go further than 40 miles before my back and wrists start complaining!)

My bike is completely standard at the moment - can't say I'm desperate to change anything, I really like the design of the monster and think the s4 looks pretty good (even with the radiator and the hoses!). I took the wobbly little flyscreen off because it's the one thing that niggles me about the bike aesthetically, though after a couple of days it went back on - despite its size it actually does a pretty good job of keeping you out of the wind.

No faults to report in the year I've had the bike. Starts first time (though the imobiliser scared me a bit 'till I sussed it!). Not being able to warm the bike up on the sidestand is moderately irritating though a bypass kit is available and on the subject of the sidestand, the bike leans scarily steeply on it and it likes sinking into hot tarmac - I think this is because of the ride height being set quite high?

Pirelli Dragon evos were on the bike when I got it (OK, though did move a little bit without warning when pressing on) - now replaced with Pirelli Diablos (much better!)

The best thing I can say about my s4 is that I'm having more of a laugh on this than any bike I've had! (except perhaps when I was 16 and I got my AR50…. )

Waaaahhhhhhhhhh, waffle, waffle, waaahhhhhh, blah, wahhh :o …….

Regards,

Andy

Northman1
01-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Hi Luke

I have owned a 2002 model S4 for the last couple of years or so. The list of problems I have had has been very small. My bike suffered from the common rear cylinder base gasket leaking, which was fixed under warranty. Apart from that the only other issues I have had have been with the ground clearance and tghe slightly too soft rear suspension.

It has been great for commuting, top fun on trackdays especially at Cadwell and Rockingham.

Regards

Michael Salmon

br1an
03-12-2005, 11:45 AM
I bought my s4 just over a year ago from Ducati Aylesbury. I wasn't particularly looking for an s4 but a long test ride and a very good part-ex offer on my 900SSie clinched the deal! I'd had 4 lovely years with the 900Ssie but the test ride showed me that the time was right - More comfort, better visibility, more speed and much more refined. Compared to the 900 the s4's 4-valve engine is so much smoother - this could be good or a bad depending on your point of view?

I think my bike has had the ride height adjuster set pretty high - it's much higher than the bike I test rode and steers noticeably quicker, holds a tighter line in the corners and gets a bit frisky accelerating hard on less than smooth roads! - I'm not a fast rider but even I could notice the difference.
I find myself going quite a bit quicker round the leafy Gloucestershire lanes on the s4 than I ever did on the 900SS (and I can go further than 40 miles before my back and wrists start complaining!)

My bike is completely standard at the moment - can't say I'm desperate to change anything, I really like the design of the monster and think the s4 looks pretty good (even with the radiator and the hoses!). I took the wobbly little flyscreen off because it's the one thing that niggles me about the bike aesthetically, though after a couple of days it went back on - despite its size it actually does a pretty good job of keeping you out of the wind.

No faults to report in the year I've had the bike. Starts first time (though the imobiliser scared me a bit 'till I sussed it!). Not being able to warm the bike up on the sidestand is moderately irritating though a bypass kit is available and on the subject of the sidestand, the bike leans scarily steeply on it and it likes sinking into hot tarmac - I think this is because of the ride height being set quite high?

Andy

Hi I was just reading your review of the s4 monster and found it very interesting.

You mention the ride height being increased on your bike and that you are worried about it when it's on it's side stand, I then looked at the photo and noticed a small hole in the right hand side carbon cover under the seat.

If I am right and you have not done this yourself then there's a good chance your bike was a Monster Challenge bike and it has had all the extras removed.

Is your reg KX51 by any chance although there were some 02 bikes, another way to tell is if the gold end plates on the back of the swing arm have small drill holes in them.

A good way to fix the side stand is to get someone to weld a large washer under the foot of the side stand and then backfill the gap to make it strong, I did this on mine and now have no problems.

Hope some of this helps.

Brian.

andy pea
06-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi brian,

Good point about watching out for Challenge bikes - though no reason not to go for one if you know about it!
Yes mine is a Challenge Bike, though the dealer kept on denying it and saying it was an ex-demo bike - I asked what the hole in the side panel was and they told me it was where an alarm had been removed! I then asked why the swinging arm end plates were lock wired in place? They "weren't sure" (!)...

Anyway, still a top bike for the £ I reckon.

Andy

ps- What is the hole in the side panel for?

Shauns4
06-12-2005, 04:47 PM
2002 S4, 8000 miles

gel battery at 5000 miles (std battery struggled)
seat cover split at about 6000 miles

8000 miles
2 flaking opening rocker arms replaced, luckily cams were not worn
new titanium clutch basket and friction plates (I am sure the light flywheel I did have fitted contributed to the demise of the basket)
rear cylinder base gasket has a slight weap, about to re-seal it but hardly noticable.

apart from the above can't fault the bike.

Shaun

claicerrig
06-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Hi brian,

Good point about watching out for Challenge bikes - though no reason not to go for one if you know about it!
Yes mine is a Challenge Bike, though the dealer kept on denying it and saying it was an ex-demo bike - I asked what the hole in the side panel was and they told me it was where an alarm had been removed! I then asked why the swinging arm end plates were lock wired in place? They "weren't sure" (!)...

Anyway, still a top bike for the £ I reckon.

Andy

ps- What is the hole in the side panel for?

Its used for Adjusting the shock without removing the pannel

br1an
07-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Thanks Clai.

I said that without moving my lips........ ;)

Bry...

spares geezer
07-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Brilliant bike......except when upside down at Donnington track day!!

Seriously though I've had no problems at all,love the bike and will now be throwing more money at it to get it ready for WDW2006.

Cheers
Stuart
www.spareshack.com