PDA

View Full Version : Bike trying to start itself!

se96djre
28-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Left my '99 M600 Dark unattended for 10 minutes yesterday to return to it to find the starter motor trying to turn the bike over! Ignition was off, keys in my pocket, even the engine kill switch didn't stop it.

Eventually got home after battery almost dying and had the same problem when I turned the ignition off, starter motor trying to turn over. Eventually stopped.

Two questions, any idea what's happening - major electrical issue? Secondly, what do I do to stop it if it does it again - remove 30A fuse? Thanks, Dave

nik_the_brief
28-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Hmm - sounds like a short in the system that you'll have to trace back. Don't even know where to start, removing the fuse will certainly stop it until you sort it though.

In answer to your second question I'd recommend an exorcism! :D

Dave G
28-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Sounds like you may have a short somewhere,did you change or work on anything previous to this?

Of course it could just be possessed! :twisted:

se96djre
28-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the very swift response guys. Funny you should ask if anything had been done on it recently. Had an annual service a month ago and very few miles since. I think I'll be giving Ducati Glasgow a call tomorrow.

stef
28-11-2005, 12:47 PM
starter relay really stuck !

manc skank
28-11-2005, 01:42 PM
had the same problem, check that the starter switch cluster is not on too tight. mine was , as soon as i loosened it a bit it was all good.

madhatter
28-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Failing that, like Stef says, check the starter motor relay/solonoid. It has a direct feed from the battery so if it sticks on (possibly intermittently) it won't matter if you hit the kill switch, remove the keys, switch it off or whatever. Only disconnecting the battery will stop the starter motor.....I know this because it happened to me :mad:

gary tompkins
28-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Saw this happen on an S4 once. Only disconnecting the battery stopped it in the end, because the contacts in the starter solenoid had shorted and welded together.

A short in the feed from the button to the solenoid would have the same effect, so would be my next place to look if the relay itself checks out ok.

Checking the button is a good suggestion too. Overtightening switchgear screws can distort the housing and hold the button in. This happened to me when I fitted my clip-ons - oh how I laughed :rolleyes: :o

Albie
30-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Happened to mine the day I picked it up. Warranty sorted mine. Starter solonoid relay.

A Yerbury
30-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Call her christine and bathe in the demonic possesion. I did. Like the boys say, it's a wire thing.

se96djre
03-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Cheers Manc Skank, it appears that just loosening off the starter switch and applying a bit of WD40 did the job. Thanks all.