PDA

View Full Version : Another Speedo not working thread

Mand
28-11-2005, 07:59 AM
My speedo decided to stop working this morning, but my rev counter is fine - had a quick look and everything seems in order though to be perfectly honest I wasn't sure what I was looking for.

Any suggestions gratefully received.... :)

Darry
28-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi Mand,

When this happened to me the fuse for the speed sensor blew also, replacing the fuse did not help, just wasted fuses. It turned out to be the speed sensor pickup, located on the rear brake caliper mount had failed, a replacement under warranty fixed it.

Darry.

A Yerbury
28-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Hi Mand,

When this happened to me the fuse for the speed sensor blew also, replacing the fuse did not help, just wasted fuses. It turned out to be the speed sensor pickup, located on the rear brake caliper mount had failed, a replacement under warranty fixed it.

Darry.

that's what fuses do!? you can't just replace them....not wishing to sound sarcastic but as an attention to anyone with a blown fuse, don't just replace it, it will blow again, and again, and again untill the electrical fault is fixed.

Scotty
28-11-2005, 10:33 AM
that's what fuses do!? you can't just replace them....not wishing to sound sarcastic but as an attention to anyone with a blown fuse, don't just replace it, it will blow again, and again, and again untill the electrical fault is fixed.

i regulary do that to be honnest, and then think well that was stupid :rolleyes:

A Yerbury
28-11-2005, 10:52 AM
i regulary do that to be honnest, and then think well that was stupid :rolleyes:

me too! I was quite enjoying the mini pyrotechnics. good thing fuses are cheap.

Pedro
28-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Mand

get Al to trace the wiring back to the speed sensor - sounds like you may have a short somewhere or that the sensor has gone t*ts up.

Mand
28-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Mand

get Al to trace the wiring back to the speed sensor - sounds like you may have a short somewhere or that the sensor has gone t*ts up.

I'll be able to have a proper look later, are these sensors expensive? Will I still be able to have turkey for Christmas? ;)

Mand
28-11-2005, 04:34 PM
When I started her up this afternoon, the speedo needle is now stuck on 40mph so surely the fuses are okay?

PS word of advice, don't ride in the snow, it is horrible, I couldn't see or maybe it was just the tears of relief when I finally got home :o

Pedro
28-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Mand

have a look at your bike manual - the needle stuck at 40 mph might be an error code. I know that yam R1s and the like display odd things like that and they indicate a particular fault. Dunno whether dukes do the same

Ped

Mand
28-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Mand

have a look at your bike manual - the needle stuck at 40 mph might be an error code. I know that yam R1s and the like display odd things like that and they indicate a particular fault. Dunno whether dukes do the same

Ped

Well one thing is for sure, I refuse to ride it now until the weather warms up a bit! Mentioned to Al when he rang earlier, he said the same as you.

JMo
28-11-2005, 07:14 PM
I could be something as simple as a grubby sensor pick up or furry bolts (the speedo sensor uses the heads of the brake disk bolts to count the revolutions...) Of course Mand's bike being so spick and span I doubt the bolts or sensor is grubby, but in this weather you never know... a bit of wet and dry paper and WD40 might do the trick?

xxx

Mand
28-11-2005, 07:23 PM
I could be something as simple as a grubby sensor pick up or furry bolts (the speedo sensor uses the heads of the brake disk bolts to count the revolutions...) Of course Mand's bike being so spick and span I doubt the bolts or sensor is grubby, but in this weather you never know... a bit of wet and dry paper and WD40 might do the trick?

xxx

Not so spick and span at the moment :( I 've just having a look at it in the garage, but the light is quite poor (god I hate these dark evenings).

I appreciate everybodys help - thank you - I will have another play with it in the morning before I go to work.