PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start Problem

remo6966
22-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Facts: Ducati Monster S4R 2003, Optimate 3
Can anyone suggest a fault/diagnosis solution for my problem? :(
Bike wouldn't start on Monday mornings for last two weeks and I put it down to spending weekends parked up with battery being drained by DataTool 3 alarm. So boost from car required. Starts first time with boost.
I oh, I oh, it's off to work I go.
Leave work at 4ish. With bike out in open and DataTool flashing away. Starts first time.
My brother warned me to buy an Optimate or get used to buying new batteries because he had been through three batteries thanks to his datatool draining them beyond recovery.
Bought said Optimate 3 last friday, plugged in.
Monday morning 7.20am Optimate says GOOD. Thermometer say 2 degrees C. But bike wont start. :mad: Boost from car turns bike over first time.
I oh, I oh, it's off to work I go.
Leave work at 4ish. With bike out in open and DataTool flashing away. Starts first time.
I don't get it.
Load test on battery says Good
Optimate battery condition says Good.
Bike not starting in morning I says Bad. :mad:
Are Monsters serseptable to cold start problems?

bike26
23-11-2005, 11:03 PM
The fact that the bike starts first time when being jumped from a car would suggest it's no more than a battery that you need ,but just before you spend out on a new one just cheak that the bike isn`t over charging or under charging as this will bugger up the new battery and you`ll be in the same pace two days later....
If you can`t cheak your charging yourself we can do it free of charge and supply you a battery £49 too.
Dave 01296 336750 9 till 6 :) ......... Good luck.

Phoenix
23-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Can I just say that we had this prob with new bike last Friday., gotta have been minus gawd knows outside and the bike was out overnight. Would not start for love nor money despite full battery- even swapped to my battery and bought bike into the house and still the bugger wouldn't go. Anyway on the offchance we purchased some new plugs from garage, put them in and away she fired first turn.

You tell me :confused:

Gilps
24-11-2005, 03:01 AM
I had the same thing with my wifes Honda Hornet. She bought it new with a Datatool 3 fitted by the dealer in August 04. However it was an 03 bike so the battery was now 1 year old. She ran the bike for a couple of months before putting it away for the winter. In spring this year we went to get the bike out and the battery was stuffed. After much mucking about with it I took it back to the dealer. Batteries are not covered under the warranty so I had to buy a new one. They sent the old one back to Honda who confirmed the battery was knackered and they replaced it under warranty. The dealer refunded my money.
At the same time I had a Triumph Sprint RS with Datatool3 fitted. It got put to bed for winter at the same time but fired up first time in spring. The Datatool has a sleep mode which automaticaly kicks in after a couple of weeks. In this mode the battery drain is supposed to be non-existent.
I suspect that your battery has had it.
I am about to invest in an Optimate for our bikes. The manufactuerers recommend taking the battery out for the winter and storing it. Problem is the alarm don't work if you do that!