PDA

View Full Version : What monster next?

Sie man
16-11-2005, 09:23 PM
I’ve got an M620sie 02 owned from new and am thinking of changing up. Prefer the aircooled monsters for looks. I’d like one up to 2years old.

My options are: M1000s DS, S2R 800 and new S2R1000(if I can get insured)

Most of my riding is commuting through London with the occasional blat out to the sticks. Question is which bike is suited for both roles? I now find the 620 a bit underpowered when overtaking and sometimes feel like I’m thrashing it.

The only thing that puts me off the S2R 800 is the brakes–Are they that bad? I’ve got the four pots on the 620 and have fitted the levers and master cylinders from the M900/M100 which have improved the already good brakes.

Over to your expert advice

thanks

Justin

Scotty
16-11-2005, 09:35 PM
are you sure part of the 'fun' isnt thrashing it ?

with the bigger motors to thrash em you end up doing silly speeds for the road

but i know what you mean for the overtakeing manouvers

if your going air cooled then i guess id go for the 1000

they often say the middel bike is the best of both worlds but with todays refinement of the motors i think you can have the bigger engine power with the smoothness of the smaller capacitys if that makes sense

is that deal still on with the litre bikes or was that last year ?

andros
17-11-2005, 06:53 AM
I would say all would be great bikes.

I have an S2r and can say theres plenty of power for me, I recently stepped up from a 620 and I can say there is quite a difference in power.

The difference in the brakes is noticiable, but I have got used to them and have had no problems and I ride 2 up alot of the time.

CK & AK
17-11-2005, 07:46 AM
If you test ride any of the bikes with a 1000ds engine in it - and enjoy the ride, you wont then want a 800.
Also, after using a 900 or 1000/S4 ridden to mid to top rpm, you will find the brakes on the S2R pants - I did.

If you DO want the S2R - DONT ride the 1000ds engined bikes first...............

C :)

Dave G
17-11-2005, 08:03 AM
The brakes are aimed at novice riders,no doubt about that,they do work,quite effectively too,you just need much more input on the lever than we may be used to with other Ducati's.
If that worry's you then you do what I'm doing:I've sourced a complete brake system from a 900ss and I will fit that over the winter when I get time,all in, its cost me about £140 so far, including discs though I'll probably add a new set of pads to that too.
Ask yourself if the 1000 is worth the extra money and what you could do to the 800 for that money,its all a matter of personal opinion I suppose,if I were to choose now then I'd still have the 800.
Worth it for that aptc clutch alone.

Shauns4
17-11-2005, 07:39 PM
1000 ds is a top very torquey engine and perfect for a Monster, the S4 / S4R also top engines but more complex, personally speaking I think v twins only come into there own when you have plenty of cubes, so best to buy the largest engine you can afford.

Shaun