PDA

View Full Version : Bolts for Rear Sprocket

Darry
16-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Just bought new Gold Chain and Sprockets from Busters. Any ideas where I can get some 'Bling' or Black Bolts to hold on the rear (black carbon steel)sprocket?

Cheers,
Darry.

A Yerbury
16-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Just bought new Gold Chain and Sprockets from Busters. Any ideas where I can get some 'Bling' or Black Bolts to hold on the rear (black carbon steel)sprocket?

Cheers,
Darry.

pro bolt or bsr aerotek, with anodised just remember to put some tape inside your socket. you could get titanium but be prepare to be royally ripped orf.

Darry
16-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Tape? What around the bolt? What's it for? Heat Expansion?

Darry (Mechanical Novice)

gary tompkins
16-11-2005, 04:26 PM
....because if you get anodised (alloy) nuts with helicoiled threads, the socket will damage the finish as you tighten the sprocket nuts unless lined with insulating tape. Stainless steel nuts will be a lot easier to keep looking nice, and can be polished too.

Some wag may post a reply along the lines of ... " go for alloy or titanium nuts to save weight and better performance" Complete bollox - as you'll save more weight by having a good dump :rolleyes:

Darry
16-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Ah... Socket... used to tighten nut... getting it confused with the bolt!!! :o

Cheers guys.

(Note to self... buy dictionary).

Darry
16-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Gary,

Good Dump... If I dump the girlfriend I'd make an instant weight saving of around 91/2 Stone! :D ... Although the weight of all the money I'd save would probably have the opposite effect! :burnout:

steve kearl
20-11-2005, 12:38 PM
I think you will have to stick with black steel as the rear bolts need to be magnetic for the speedo sensor to work.

gary tompkins
20-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Good point Steve - forgot that later bikes pick up the speedo reading from the back wheel. Although you can get magnetic & non-magnetic stainless steel, also there could be enough steel in just the stud for it to trigger? It just depends how sensitive the magnetic pickup is ;)

Darry
20-11-2005, 06:08 PM
I'll only be replacing the Nuts (not bolts) on the side of the sprocket, the speedo sensor is on the side of the rear brake disk.

I opted for these titanium nuts in gold from probolt.
http://www.tastynuts.com/acatalog/TISPNMIXED.jpg

gary tompkins
20-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Nice one :cool:

Scotty
20-11-2005, 10:55 PM
yet kinda wrong

dont tighten em too much or else

Darry
21-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Scotty,

According to the Probolt website these nuts can be tightened to the same torque settings as the originals. Is there something I should know?

D.

Scotty
21-11-2005, 01:29 PM
ahh that al be just me then mild paranoia

i just remember r kid brother buying a titanium bolt for his pushbike once for the seat tube clamp

is was £25 when £25 was a lot of money and it still is for 1 bolt he tightened it up and seat still moved
so he tightened it some more
and the seat still moved
us father was in the middel of saying be carefull these fancy alloy bolts tend to go ping
while he tightened it a little bit too much and the head of the bolt went ping across the garage ,gutted, just a bit like

ive also has some alloy bolts on pushbike again that just round off way to easily admittedly the breaks got regular attention but nothing excessive

im generally not a fan of alloy bolts , but they do work if your carefull

A Yerbury
21-11-2005, 01:35 PM
are these the 5 pound each jobs? 30 quid for nuts? that is nuts.

Darry
21-11-2005, 02:10 PM
A Yerbury,

Yes that's them... I know more money than sense... The joy of not having a wife and kids!! :burnout:

D.