PDA

View Full Version : Winter Troosers for Scottish Riding

eonan
14-11-2005, 07:43 AM
As much as I'd like to hibernate over winter, the fact is I need to work. I also happen to live in a little p*ss pot village in the middle of nowhere. There’s rumoured to be a bus service however, this still remains to be a rumour!

So...having just started to ride in July, this will be my first winter. So far I've got away with just my jeans. Mainly because of financial reasons, but also because I’d been riding a 125 cruiser, so I’d been lured into a false sense of security.

Now that I have my dream baby, the weather is crap, and the roads are covered in gunk...I feel it's about time I was looking after my bottom half.

Can anyone offer me any recommendations? Does anyone wear Ducati's Multistrada Trousers? Are they any good?

Cheers everyone.

dlloyduk
14-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Busters (http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/search.asp)
I bought a pair of Swift Speed pants from Busters for about £29 and they are really warm I took the lining out as they were to warm, good VFM and I think they look ok as well. Nearly payed £60 for a new pair off ebay! The price varies a lot on these so a have a good shop around. They also have knee armour- hope not to find out how good it is!

mark cross
14-11-2005, 09:18 AM
As much as I'd like to hibernate over winter, the fact is I need to work. I also happen to live in a little p*ss pot village in the middle of nowhere. There’s rumoured to be a bus service however, this still remains to be a rumour!

So...having just started to ride in July, this will be my first winter. So far I've got away with just my jeans. Mainly because of financial reasons, but also because I’d been riding a 125 cruiser, so I’d been lured into a false sense of security.

Now that I have my dream baby, the weather is crap, and the roads are covered in gunk...I feel it's about time I was looking after my bottom half.

Can anyone offer me any recommendations? Does anyone wear Ducati's Multistrada Trousers? Are they any good?

Cheers everyone.
Real men wear kilts . if the multi strada trousers look anything like the bike it`ll be a fashion crime to wear them.

nik_the_brief
14-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Busters (http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/search.asp)
I bought a pair of Swift Speed pants from Busters for about £29 and they are really warm I took the lining out as they were to warm, good VFM and I think they look ok as well. Nearly payed £60 for a new pair off ebay! The price varies a lot on these so a have a good shop around. They also have knee armour- hope not to find out how good it is!

Yeah, I bought some of them too. Had to do the same thing with the lining but just zipped it back in again now it's getting chilly. I rate them as brilliant value for money, totally waterproof and perfect in the cold.

Only downside is that your arris slips around all over the seat like a duck on ice which is a little disconcerting when your used to leather which is much grippier.

Nonnie
14-11-2005, 10:27 AM
OK, they're expensive yes, but I just bought a Dainese Goretex suit thing. OH MY GOD! It's like putting your arms and legs into a duvet. I can vouch for the fact they are entirely waterproof, windproof, armoured and frankly, more importantly, stylish.

MilesB
14-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Belstaff E-Z-On overtrousers...

In daily use, hard wearing, waterproof - OK for warmth, so depends on length of commute. Pockets for knee and hip armour (have to buy extra), but long zips on legs, so they do what they say - easy on over day clothes and the army boots I normally wear day in and day out all year.

Stylishy available in black - so they don't show the crud from the road ;)

Miles

gary tompkins
14-11-2005, 12:11 PM
I can recommend you don't buy anything by Weisse. Paid £80 for a set of their cordura winter trousers at a local bike shop. 1st pair exchanged as they leaked down one leg, and because the lining is sewn in took ages to dry out.

2nd pair didn't leak at first, but after a few month now leak all over the place. I have to put a cheap set of over trousers on as well in the rain, and the local shop refused to refund, only swap for another set. So in all possibly the worst £80 I've ever spent - total s h i t e :mad:

eonan
14-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Real men wear kilts

Now that would not be a pretty sight :D

I'd been wanting a pair of Furygan Leather's during the summer but never got round to it. Are leathers in winter a real no no?

Gilps
14-11-2005, 12:39 PM
the problem with leather is that it is not really 100% waterproof. a cheap option is to keep the Furygans on if they are warm enough and buy a pair of overtrousers. I paid £15 and they are 100% waterproof. can't remenber the make but there are loads of them around in most bike shops. It's the same sort of stuff they make cagoules out of. furygan = top gear. got 3 of their jackets now, just can't get enough.

Mand
14-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Leather in the winter is cold and nasty when wet.

Hein Gericke troooosers - excellent! Keep those important parts warm.

Ratchet
14-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi eonan, same neck of woods.
If you can get them belstaff did great cordura trousers with leather
on all the abrasive bits, can`t see a name on them but liners out for
summer and back in for scotish winter no problems, and of course armour in all the right places. :burnout:

Paranoid Dave
14-11-2005, 09:00 PM
I find not riding is the best way to stay warm and dry in winter. But if i have to go out i stick my sexy long johns on under my leathers troos and stick waterproof over trousers on too as it deflects the wind nicely. Keeps the legs warm enough for me.
Then when i get wherever i'm going i change, and by the time i'm sorted its time to change back and come home.

DavidT
14-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Plenty of layers is the thing - thermals, leathers (Furygan- excellent choice!) and HG waterproofs on top to stop the wind. Was over to Perth on Sunday, and although my body was warm enough, when I stopped at Tyndrum my hands were so cold I had trouble taking off my helmet!
Ratchet, you seem to have made something of an investment

Dave G
14-11-2005, 09:33 PM
with leather
on all the abrasive bits

OOer,I fancy a pair with leather on my abrasive bits. :D :p

A Yerbury
14-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I ride naked, drunk and juggling triplets with my pubic hair on fire.... this is the best way.

Mand
15-11-2005, 07:51 PM
I ride naked, drunk and juggling triplets with my pubic hair on fire.... this is the best way.

Alex Yerbury! You lie like a cheap rug!