PDA

View Full Version : Usernames

MotoNik
11-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Now I've never really been one for a fancy username, and I was wondering where the thing for internet usernames comes from. Ok, so it's the whole living your secret internet life thing, a new identity behind which one might hide that secret latent murkiness that lies beneath, and no one need know the real me etc etc.

So the question is, where does your username come from, and what's your real name??!

People with their real name as their username need not apply...

Nik

Scotty
11-11-2005, 09:17 PM
well i did toy with the idea of 'lazeyarsespoon' but i thought id look a fool if i ever meat any of you (more so than i do now)

oh and scotty isnt my real name either
bwuahahahr

Pedro
11-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Pedro comes from our Quality Manager (you know Nik, the guy that keeps us from f*cking up at work!) who, about 14 years ago was eating his lunch when I walked by. He happened to be eating a yogurt that was called "Pedro Orange" and he laughed and called me Pedro.....

No hidden murkiness I'm afraid.

Ped

Dave G
11-11-2005, 09:28 PM
My real name is Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim. Its just easier being called Dave

fatbloke
11-11-2005, 09:29 PM
oh and scotty isnt my real name either bwuahahahr

its your secret Dave dont tell anyone :eek:

MotoNik
11-11-2005, 09:32 PM
My real name is Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim. Its just easier being called Dave

LOL! We could call you Theo if you like?!
:lol:

Nik

PS On a name based theme, Emily and I have a cat called Dog. True story.

Didge
11-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Ooooh! Helloooo! I'm Didge, but you can call me Alice if you want too.

Paranoid Dave
11-11-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm paranoid.

Just as well i didn't use my real name, can you imagine if i went by the user ID 'Dave G' :eek:

MotoNik
11-11-2005, 09:38 PM
ok, maybe I need to add, how about you let us know what your real name is?

Nice to meet you Alice. How is Wonderland of a Friday evening?

Nik
Just off to stroke me white rabbit.

Dave G
11-11-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm paranoid.

Just as well i didn't use my real name, can you imagine if i went by the user ID 'Dave G' :eek:

Damn! my identity theft scam has been rumbled!
Had the same problem on the 400greybike site where thats the owners name.
In fact,could that be you paranoid Dave?

Didge
11-11-2005, 09:44 PM
ok, maybe I need to add, how about you let us know what your real name is?

Darryl Vincent Vernon

Nice to meet you Alice. How is Wonderland of a Friday evening?

Nik
Just off to stroke me white rabbit.

Just wonderful.

Didge
Just off to stroke a pussy.

MotoNik
11-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Pedro comes from our Quality Manager (you know Nik, the guy that keeps us from f*cking up at work!) who, about 14 years ago was eating his lunch when I walked by. He happened to be eating a yogurt that was called "Pedro Orange" and he laughed and called me Pedro.....

No hidden murkiness I'm afraid.

Ped

F*cking up at work? Perish the thought. And that's quite enough of the "w" word at this time on a Friday!

Nik

spacemonkey
11-11-2005, 11:00 PM
"Like the first monkeys blasted into space, sacrificing themselves for the good of mankind" Tyler Durden

You work it out.

Jim66a
12-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Hi, My name is Jim and I used to live at 66a

stuartg
12-11-2005, 09:05 AM
I'm paranoid.

and your point is??? lol

Mand
12-11-2005, 12:36 PM
cos it is my name. Proper name Amanda, what a surprise!

Paranoid Dave
12-11-2005, 02:46 PM
no i'm not the dave from whatever site you said? The only other forum i'm on is the buell one and i'm paranoid on there too. Oh tell a lie, I'm PD on the DSC but i don't go there often.

dean
13-11-2005, 10:08 AM
my second name is martin.

Nonnie
13-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Nonnie coz I get called it often. Nobody even in the "real world" calls me Naomi, apart from Alex Yerbury who thinks Nonnie is too fairyland to use. Variations on the above are Non (most often used most of the time) and Noni (parents call me that).

I don't know why, I didn't ask for that but it happens. OK?

I wasn't even supposed to be called Naomi. My Mum let my Dad register my birth. She gave him the choice of Odette or India and he was to choose on the walk there.

fatbloke
13-11-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm a Slim Girl (its meant to be sarcastic)

Drucilla
13-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

spacemonkey
13-11-2005, 06:37 PM
My Mum let my Dad register my birth. She gave him the choice of Odette or India and he was to choose on the walk there.

Jeez, did she not like you? :eek:

CraigMac
13-11-2005, 07:03 PM
My real name is Andre Poophartee, but I like to be known as Craig, for obvious reasons...

Regards...

PS...Was any body else given an odd name by there parents??

Just curious!

A Yerbury
13-11-2005, 07:07 PM
My real name is Andre Poophartee, but I like to be known as Craig, for obvious reasons...

Regards...

PS...Was any body else given an odd name by there parents??

Just curious!

My real name is Alexander Louis Yerbury, not odd at all.

eonan
13-11-2005, 07:12 PM
My real name...well one of them anyway!

MilesB
13-11-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm Miles - but I add the B so that no-one gets confused ;)

As names go it's fairly rare, but not too unusual...

Paranoid Dave
13-11-2005, 09:50 PM
i know another miles but his hair is nothing like yours.

Plum
13-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Where did Plum come from. Oh god!Its not even funny and quite a long story. Short version is......

First bike was a Honda MTX125, and one night i pulled into the local hangout and tried to pop a wheelie over the sleeping pavarotti. Needless to say my high speed, long distance power wheelie was more a 'blink and you'll miss it' affair. Alleged mates pee themselves and one shouts 'Wot a Plum'. Another turned around and said 'Ah! Evil K'Plum!' And like runny poo on a hairy blanket.....it stuck.

In my days as a Doorman/Bouncer/Slaphead (delete appropriate) i was once called a 'C**t' by a woman. She must have known me, but i didnt recognise her!

nik_the_brief
14-11-2005, 09:52 AM
My name's Nik. Well actually it's Nicholas Matthew Harry Starmer-Smith so for brevity it was reduced to Nik - plus it was easier to carve as a young lad - no curves!

Nick the Brief was a racehorse in the late 90's. At the time I was working in a solicitors practice and had a few mates who were also called Ni(c)k - but with different occupations - so, to avoid confusion, I was given the moniker nik the brief. It kind of stuck after that.

Chappers
14-11-2005, 10:16 AM
'Chappers' coz my married name is Chapman.

I'm also known as 'H' which is short for Hayley, 'Hadge' by my brother as he had a real problem with saying Hayley as a kid, 'Did' coz my email address is DiddingtonDamsel or 'Oi' by my father :lol:

My birth certificate says 'Elaine Hayley Heard-White' but mum decided the name 'Elaine' sounded too grown up for a little baby girl, so last minute swapped the names round :confused:

I am now Ms Hayley Elaine Chapman soon to be Miss Hayley Elaine Penn :D

Nonnie
14-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Jeez, did she not like you? :eek:
This is what happened when people in the 60's got together and made kids. It's not all bad though as my Dad used to have a Bonneville, a white silk scarf and made people call him Jesus.....

Odette was actually some famous brave lady who was involved in the French Resistance. I feel Naomi was escaping lightly.

nik_the_brief
14-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Odette was actually some famous brave lady who was involved in the French Resistance. I feel Naomi was escaping lightly.

I knew a girl named Odette - everybody used to call her Dixie.

It was always fun to wind her up by singing - "I wish I was in Dixie - hooraay, hooraay".

DesmoDog
14-11-2005, 11:58 AM
DesmoDog because it's bloody predictable and I forgot whatever my original username on here was with the first bikes membership. My "other" name is Captain Swing, which used to be midly ironic for someone working in technology, but it just encouraged stupid Americans to say things about car keys etc, the Luddites.

My real name is Karl.

The Kevlar Kid
14-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Got given the name 'The Kevlar Kid' at sixteen by my then boss and one of his mates. I had (have) a fascination with the conflict in Vietnam. Used to collect a lot of the gear including flak jackets, zippos and a Kevlar helmet.

My boss used to pull my leg about this, but oneday after work he took me to the local gun shop (he used to do a bit of shooting) and they took me to the range at the back, put an M16 in my hands and showed me how to fire it - let me let off a couple of rounds (heaven for me then). Anyhow, I was surprisingly accurate and in disbelief one of them said "**** me - it's the kevlar kid" - it kinda stuck ever since.... :D

paul620sie
15-11-2005, 07:11 AM
errrr, i'm paul620sie, cos being an engineer and lacking imagination thats all i could think of when i set up my profile (I'm not using any childhood nic-names on here).

On other sites i use "engineer", maybe i should change to that on here too.

Melnie Mouse
15-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Well for those who know me personally, may or may not believe this, but mouse was named cos I was quite a quiet and shy person, yes I know maybe hard to believe. But quiet and jumpy I was, and my friends called me mouse, and sometimes it was Mel mouse, or MJ mouse or M mouse, and in end, just easy to drop the 'a' from the middle of my name and it sounded better just ringing on to Melnie Mouse, and it's kinda stuck.

Altho some people call me MJ mouse still...

A Yerbury
15-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Sir, your highness, your grace, most benevolent or Mr Yerbury to you lot.

Yours with a dash of blue blood.

steviej
15-11-2005, 09:43 AM
steviej!!!!!!!!

20 odd years ago a gang of us would go boozin' on the 'Top Road' in Pendlebury (near Salford), one particular night there were around 25 of us, about 15 lads and 8 lasses. Out of the 15 lads ELEVEN of us were called Stephen/Steven. It ended up with the first letter of your last name being tagged on thus steviej.

Stevie.m, Stevie.r, Stevie.c and myself still meet up once in a while for a few scoops.......................

My real name is Stephen William Johnson Esq :eek:

Lady-Bob
15-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Come on GULLY ..... tell 'em how you got your name!!

If you don't I will :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

GULLY
15-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi Bob
I think this is blackmail ;)

You would not dare! Iam thinking you would :eek:

The long and short of it. I met the kent gang that morning and we all
shot down to the coast.After lunch ice cream all round but i did not
pay for mine because a gull gave me a freebie.

All down my face and leathers :o

so that is how the name GULLY was born.

cheers Gully :twisted:

MilesB
15-11-2005, 11:44 AM
...tell 'em how you got your name!!
If you don't I will :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
So Bob... why Bob ?
'cos I know that's not your real name.

Miles

PS: I knew a girl at university who wanted to be known as 'Blob' as opposed to Donna :confused:

MrsJel
15-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Really simple, my name is carole jelley & I happen to be married.

everything else I tried using jel wouldn't get accepted - those jelsoft boys must have taken all the best names for themselves.

cheese
15-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Was given my name from playing American Football and being a Green Bay Packer fan (there called cheeseheads) cheesehead to long so cut it down to cheese? Been called other things but cant use them in public. :(

jill
15-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Yeah, Jill's my real name. On other sites it's JCB because they are my initials and sometimes it pays to be androgynous online, particularly on car sites!

Funnily enough, my Dad also swapped my first two names around on the way to the Registrar - I should have been Catherine Jill. I think he thought it was funny, but then his name is Linn...and my mum is Viv so maybe androgyny in names runs in my family. :confused:

MilesB
15-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Yeah, Jill's my real name.

I think he thought it was funny, but then his name is Linn...and my mum is Viv so maybe androgyny in names runs in my family. :confused:
Sorry :o - I don't get it? - Whats androgenous about Jill?

A Yerbury
15-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Sorry :o - I don't get it? - Whats androgenous about Jill?

Jcb androgenous or she/he/it may be a machine.

Mrs Soup
16-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Mrs Soup was something I was known as when the other half was known as SoupDragon.

These days I am often known as Mrs Plectrum.

My real name is soooo boring it actually sounds made up!

CraigMac
16-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Mrs Soup was something I was known as when the other half was known as SoupDragon.

These days I am often known as Mrs Plectrum.

My real name is soooo boring it actually sounds made up!

Are you a real Indian and if so can you really make it rain?.....Ive now read the thread properly and can plainly see that you are not a Soooo Indian.

Regards

Kitty.75
17-11-2005, 08:47 PM
I have a really stupid long haired, black & white cat called 'Joey'. I was going to post a pic that I have of him sleeping in a wok!!! :lol: But I am also really stupid & cant figure out how to do it!! :confused:

Kitty xx

Have now realised that I am even more stupid than my cat, if thats at all possible, cos i have posted this in the wrong thread!! :o
As for my user name being Kitty.75...........Kitty cos I like cats & 75 cos thats the year I was born, pretty boring really! My real name is Lucy.

A Yerbury
17-11-2005, 08:52 PM
I have a really stupid long haired, black & white cat called 'Joey'. I was going to post a pic that I have of him sleeping in a wok!!! :lol: But I am also really stupid & cant figure out how to do it!! :confused:

Kitty xx

I have a cat in a wok right now so no need for a picture. I think noodles and a light salad should be fine?

abbeyalto
17-11-2005, 10:22 PM
I recommend OK sauce, but then I would.