PDA

View Full Version : No Limits winter trackday at Donnington?

marchesini
09-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Oh, I thought that would be it for the year but am slightly tempted by the No Limits trackday - 22 November - only a couple of weeks away - £79. I know it's a risk this time of year but the weathers been pretty mild of late (well, summer is no guarantee either of good weather). I'll be keeping an eye on this one seeming as I never managed to get to the last one.

Hmm, anyone else tempted by one last fling before hogmany?

simon

Rockhopper
11-11-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm tempted by that as well and there is one later for only £69. Don't forget were are on the short days now though so perhaps not as many sessions as a summer trackday but even so i'm thinking its got to be worth a gamble. So what if it rains? Good wet riding practice.
I did Snetterton in november last year and it was bloody freezing. I had to cut the second to last session short becasue i had my black visor on and i could see where i was going. It got dark very quickly.

marchesini
11-11-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm tempted by that as well and there is one later for only £69. Don't forget were are on the short days now though so perhaps not as many sessions as a summer trackday but even so i'm thinking its got to be worth a gamble. So what if it rains? Good wet riding practice.
I did Snetterton in november last year and it was bloody freezing. I had to cut the second to last session short becasue i had my black visor on and i could see where i was going. It got dark very quickly.

I'm going to keep an eye on the weather and make a decision nearer the time. December a bit too near to Christmas for me but if the weather is like today, a few winter woolies and I'll be fine. Rain, I'm not interested in riding in to be honest, done too many of them on the track and all it's taught me is that it's bloody slippy and not particularly nice. I did get my knee down in the wet at Rockingham (before I noticed the rain and then my mind started telling me not to lean it so far) and was fine until the track turned into an ice rink. I think at least 10 crashers maybe more (at a DSC day). I also understand that Donnington is slippier than Rockingham aswell. :eek:

BTW, when the track temperature is cold, does it mean that the tyres never get up to temperature or just that it takes longer to warm up?

Still tempted

simon

Scotty
11-11-2005, 11:58 AM
its just waiting till the 22nd before it snows ;)

Rockhopper
11-11-2005, 01:28 PM
There were thirteen fallers at Rockingham (one guy twice!!). That circuit is so slippery becasue its only used for BMW experience days and stuff like that. I lost the front in the second to last session but i didn't go down. Shook me up a bit but i learnt a heck of a lot about my bike on that day.

Donnington has been resurfaced fairly recently so its not bad. Allegedly its jet fuel from aircraft landing at East Mids that causes the problem. Never ridden there so can't comment.

I'd take my warmers anyhow so thats gonna help.

marchesini
11-11-2005, 02:02 PM
There were thirteen fallers at Rockingham (one guy twice!!). That circuit is so slippery becasue its only used for BMW experience days and stuff like that. I lost the front in the second to last session but i didn't go down. Shook me up a bit but i learnt a heck of a lot about my bike on that day.

On the second to last session, I must have had about 6 slides and then I came in. Normally, I want to get my moneys worth but I think there was only so much brown stuff that my trousers could handle - I even sat out the last session.

I guess I must have met / seen you somewhere on track then if you were at Rockingham - on a Ducati were you? ;) I was in the inters on a tatty Red Bull bike if that rings any bells?

simon

Rockhopper
11-11-2005, 03:52 PM
I was in the Novice group on my red ST4. I really enjoyed the day actually, mainly because i didnt realise how slippy it was! I was carving my way through the field wondering why everyone was tiptoeing around and crashing out. I really didnt think it was slippy. Then second to last session i went into the right hander after the pit exit a bit fast and the front slid a couple of inches. That was it then, game over for the day so like you, i sat the last session out.
I've done Cadwell a few times and Snetterton since then so i'm now playing in the inters.