PDA

View Full Version : cheap battery?

MotoNik
08-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi All,

Despite using an "Oximiser" the battery on Emily's bike seems to have finally given up the ghost. It's been pretty crap ever since she bought the bike, so I guess it's time to buy a new one and be done with it.

As an aside, apart from it being fooked, is there any other reason why it would be failing to hold a charge? The bike starts instantly if I puts some leads across from my bike, so I'm pretty confident nothing else is awry.

Can anyone recommend somewhere for an inexpensive replacement?

cheers,

Nik

A Yerbury
08-11-2005, 11:33 PM
I went for a yuasa (uasa?) yusa? that one...battery wise you get what you pay for it seems. Spacemonkey insists on a special thing, I forget the name but he may pop up with the lowdown.

Alex.

ps.got mine from mandp...or busters.
pps.I had no idea my memory was quite this bad?!
ppps.who? what??

stuartg
09-11-2005, 09:08 AM
I agree with Alex. I bought a cheap battery about 18 months ago and it didnt last, replaced with Yuasa. Budget batteries are generally not worth it as the plates inside the battery are thinner and buckle resulting in failure.

CK & AK
09-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Optimate

Yuasa

HTIOH etc................

C:)

Emily
09-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Hi,

The one I have on there is a Yuasa, I think what Nik was saying is that we were wondering if anyone knew where we could get a cheap good battery, i.e. a Yuasa one, and not where can we can a cheap crap one from.

At least I think that's what he meant IMHO, BTW etc.

So, just to clarify, does anyone know where we can get a Yuasa battery cheap?

Thanks!

Emily

Melnie Mouse
09-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Yuasa do seem to be the best ones I'm afraid, i believe it's a yb16ala2, but they're not cheap CMW do them for £45.00.

If it's a cheap one and you brought it from CMW and it's still in warranty, they can check it for you and perhaps replace it for you?

Hope you get it sorted, especially bad this time of year, I never drive my car, so I had to get a new car battery recently, serves me right I suppose...

CK & AK
09-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Phone AK - will PM you his mobile no.
Sells them where he works :)

Emily
09-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks for PM CK, you're a star! I'll call him this afternoon.

Emily

MotoNik
09-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies folks, over to Emily and AK now (thank you!).

Incidentally, spoke to Pedro about it this morning and he reckons a sticky starter solenoid could be to blame, so I'll check that tonight. Having said that, the battery has always been a bit crap on that bike.

Flippin electrics - I can't fix what I can't see!

Nik

CK & AK
09-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Nick, now Emily has AK's number - leccy things is one of his 'specialities' (as well as anything aircooled) - so if you get really stuck, do give him a call in the evenings (best after 7pm if poss) he cant guarantee to 'fix on the phone' but can be another sounding board if you like........

C :)

Emily
09-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Nick, now Emily has AK's number - leccy things is one of his 'specialities' (as well as anything aircooled) - so if you get really stuck, do give him a call in the evenings (best after 7pm if poss) he cant guarantee to 'fix on the phone' but can be another sounding board if you like........

C :)

Thanks for that CK, most kind of you to offer, well offer AK's services anyway ;)

I just phoned him up but unfortunately he doesn't stock the lead acid and the gel ones he's got are more expensive. So it looks like CMW. Thanks for all your help anyway, much appreciated. :)

Emily

Emily
09-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Yuasa do seem to be the best ones I'm afraid, i believe it's a yb16ala2, but they're not cheap CMW do them for £45.00.

Is that mate's rates Mel? ;) I just phoned up and they quoted me £50! :eek:

Em

CK & AK
09-11-2005, 04:28 PM
AK just called, he does lead acid ones to order, but thinks you wont save much more than £6 on the price (he can give you) from what Mel originally quoted.
By the time you have collected/ or we post, it will work out cheaper from Mel - at £45.00

MotoNik
09-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Thank you CK&AK to both of you - how nice that this forum has some lovely helpful people on board! :)

Looks like we've just got to go and speak nicely to Mel for that special price in CMW on Saturday now!

cheers,

Nik

Fred
09-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Pity you're too far away.
Brand new for M750, then sold the bike.

http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7818

spacemonkey
09-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Now that's what I call a good avatar!!

Oh, yeah, thought my ears were burning. Here's my recommendation:
http://www.knightbatteries.com/popup.cfm?p_n=91471&p_i=91471
As always...

MotoNik
10-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks Spacemonkey. I'm going to stick with a Yuasa to be honest - that one looks good, but I can't justify the xtra expense at the moment (especially as it's not my bike!!).

Nik

MotoNik
12-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Got a Yuasa from CMW today, and it started up instantly. Splendid! Well chuffed, with one thing and another it's been off the road for about a month now (all part of the Ducati charm!), so it'll be good to get it out tomorrow. Emily's looking forward to riding it! :D

Thanks for all the hints and tips folks, much appreciated.

Nik